X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid level?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Transmission fluid level?

I decided that today, after much research on the forum, I’d try checking the transmission fluid because I thought it might be low. As I understand the level plug is maybe 6” to the right (drivers side - US) and maybe 1” higher than the drain plug. Here’s the interesting part - I opened the level plug and about a qt of ATF drained out. Having read it should drip out or else it’s overfilled I let it drain until it dripped. Put the plug back in and went for a drive. The tranny sounded absolutely terrible! All kinds of noises, wasn’t smooth to shift, literally felt like if I kept driving it would tear itself apart. I went back and put in a qt of Valvoline Max Life +200ml and it drives great!

So now my question is, if there isn’t supposed to be more than what can just drip out of the level plug why did I experience this? Seems my car requires more than that in fluid.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:52 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Does not sound good or right for sure.

I did not attempt fate with the fill plug, my luck would be the wrong plug, and the "smoke and mirrors" of an Auto Trans would get loose. and reek general havoc.

I drained it, that plug is easy to notate.

Measured what came out, Google the crap out of expected levels, nope, still in the dark.

The measure was 4.3ltrs (Aussie talk), so I put 4.3 ltrs back in.

There were and still are, NO fluid leaks, so I simply assumed, "if it aint leaking, it must still be full", so what came out would be the factory fill.

The STINK and colour of what drained out confirmed that. At 105000kms, it was SAD.

I simply drop and refill regularly now, after the 8 I did to get clean fluid draining initially.

SMOOTH as the proverbial now, and SILENT.

I would drain whatever is still in there, refill with 4.3ish ltrs, call it done.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

93. Make sure the J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position (P). With the engine running and the foot
brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through 'P-R-N-D-4-3-2' ranges and back to the 'P'
position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to
104°F) on the WDS.

94. When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever
is in the 'P' position and raise the vehicle.

95. With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug. Remove and discard
the level plug and sealing washer.
Note: Use automatic transmission fluid part no. C2S 12120, this is the only fluid which meets Jaguar
specification for use in the X-TYPE

96. If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic
transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 liter
units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes
out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube.

97. Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
Note: Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the
automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission
fluid level check procedure. Allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches
30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).

98. If necessary, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid
level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F)

99. Install a new transmission fluid level plug and sealing washer. Tighten to 15 Nm.

100. Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

101. After fluid level check is complete, carry out steering angle sensor calibration (if installed) then switch
'OFF' the PTU, disconnect from vehicle and return WDS to original location.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Som
me scary suggestions, above. There has been some easy to follow and comprehensive posts about how to do this job in the most efficient way. Search for them, before you follow any other advice.