X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Transmission Fluid to use for 2009 2.2d Sovereign Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Transmission Fluid to use for 2009 2.2d Sovereign Automatic?

Hello everyone!
I'm brand new to the forums as I'm in the midst of purchasing my first Jaguar car. I'm from the UK and have managed to find a:
2009 x-type 2.2d sovereign automatic, with 100k miles on it at a good price to buy for myself!

I was wondering a few things on preventative maintenance, can anyone help me with the specific transmission fluid to buy for this car? From what I've looked up it should be a ZF 6HP series automatic transmission, with 6 speeds.
Does anyone else have any experience with changing out the transmission fluid? I know the boxes are supposed to be "sealed for life" but I've seen quite a few videos where people managed to change the fluid by draining and replacing 3 quarts at a time.

What is the specific type of transmission fluid to buy? If anyone could link something on UK Amazon that is high quality and works well I would be very grateful!

Many thanks for reading my questions and I hope to be driving soon! I just want to get everything I need to service it myself sorted first

If anyone has any other preventative maintenance tips, please let me know!

Old 12-11-2022, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

Any fluid that states it meets IDEMITSU K17. MUST MEET this spec.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 12-11-2022 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Any fluid that states it meets IDEMITSU K17. MUST MEET this spec.
Hi! Thanks for the reply.
I've had a look and found this on amazon: https://amzn.eu/d/54xy6AP
Just need some reassurance that this will work with a 2009 2.2d automatic x-type. I can see that it meets K17 spec but then says 2001-2005 only, while my vehicle is 2009.
Will this still be okay?
Many thanks!

Old 12-12-2022, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Once again I will reiterate, ANY fluid that states it meets IDEMITSU K17 is correct for the automatic transmission in an X type.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

The 2,2d auto gearbox is not a ZF 6HP and is a very different beast to the 'box fitted in the petrol X types.

It's an AW F21 automatic transmission that is a 6 speed, electronically controlled unit manufactured by Aisin AW in Japan. The transmission
represents the latest (at the time!) in automatic transmission technology for a transverse unit. The transmission features lock-up slip control, 'Jaguar
Sequential Shift' functions and automatic and driver selectable modes to give the optimum performance.

Here's the relevant section of Jaguar's Specification Book for Year 2009

In UK I would recommend going online to www.opieoils.co.uk and search for Exxon Mobil JWS 3309, then you'll have the same as Jaguar use.
This gearbox has an unusual co-axial drain and level indicator plug. Don't mess about unless you know where and how they are used and the filling procedure! Details available in the appropriate Jaguar manual. Send me a pm and I'll forward the whole thing!

Last edited by astromorg; 12-13-2022 at 12:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by astromorg:
Don B (12-14-2022), XJRay (12-15-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by astromorg
The 2,2d auto gearbox is not a ZF 6HP and is a very different beast to the 'box fitted in the petrol X types.

It's an AW F21 automatic transmission that is a 6 speed, electronically controlled unit manufactured by Aisin AW in Japan. The transmission
represents the latest (at the time!) in automatic transmission technology for a transverse unit. The transmission features lock-up slip control, 'Jaguar
Sequential Shift' functions and automatic and driver selectable modes to give the optimum performance.

Here's the relevant section of Jaguar's Specification Book for Year 2009

In UK I would recommend going online to www.opieoils.co.uk and search for Exxon Mobil JWS 3309, then you'll have the same as Jaguar use.
This gearbox has an unusual co-axial drain and level indicator plug. Don't mess about unless you know where and how they are used and the filling procedure! Details available in the appropriate Jaguar manual. Send me a pm and I'll forward the whole thing!
Hello!
Thanks so much for the help. I can't figure out how to private message you on the fourms, but I would love if you could forward me the manual / instructions on how to change the fluid that would be awesome!
Again, many thanks!

Old 12-14-2022, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 421 Likes on 308 Posts

Here are my 5 cents worth:
Indeed I would have been extremely surprised, if any X-Type would have a ZF 6hp26 (or similar) transmission. The X-Type does not have the space for it anywhere. I could tell you all about the ATF in the 6hp26. Not long ago I started off a massive thread regarding this 6hp26 in the S-Type section. Anyway, the wisdom in there, transferred over to your x-type ATF question: Assuming for a moment that you would have (which your probably don't have) a variation of the X-Type, for which IDEMITSU K17 is the correct ATF, then it would be totally wrong to say that any fluid, which states that it meets IDEMITSU K17 is suitable, is absolutely incorrect. The thing is that manufacturers of multi vehicle ATFs would write just any claim on their product to boost sales. This became very obvious, when I looked closer at all the so called alternatives for the original ATF for the 6hp26 (which btw is Lifeguard 6).
Anyway, IDEMITSU K17 would be correct for my 2001 AWD 2.5L petrol X-Type and for my 2006 FWD 2.1L petrol X-Type. It is not a ZF transmission. Sadly, I am at a loss here in Australia, as I could not yet find a suitable replacement for IDEMITSU K17 here, and IDEMITSU K17 is not available here.
I take it, that if the table above is correctly stating IDEMITSU K17 for my 2 X-Type (which it is), it is very likely that it is also correct in stating that your ATF is Exxon Mobile JWS 3309. Thus, buy this, and do not buy a so-called multi vehicle ATF, which "meets" Exxon Mobile JWS 3309...: Says who? The manufacturer of the ATF? This statement is worth less then 1 pence! If you find somewhere the statement, that a certain ATF is LISENCED ilo. Exxon Mobile JWS 3309, then go for it, but the formulation "it meets" means absolutely nothing.
Kinematic viscosity is an important indicator to describe an ATF, but it is by far not all. Those additives in the OE ATF are very important, and those are probably not in a cheap copy of the OE ATF.

When looking at ATFs, type "MSDS" and the name of the ATF into google to find the Material safety data sheet. E.g., the kin. viscosity (KV) at 40 and 100°C are: KV40 = 33.5 and KV100=7.3 for Exxon Mobile JWS 3309.

If your transmission is kind of the same as in my X-Type, it may not be possible to do a full flush. If you dump the old ATF, you can't get all of it out, maybe 50 or 60%? The idea is to dump, refill, drive, dump and refill and maybe again. Pretty silly.

Of course the claim "sealed for life" is absolute rubbish. What this means is: If you don't change the ATF, the fate of your transmission is sealed and the end of its life is near. It is Jaguar and Ford making those rubbish claims, while the manufacturers of those transmissions do not make such claims.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 12-14-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:17 PM
Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry Peter, but I disagree. I have read your posts on the S type that you've made. About 4 years ago, I changed the transmission fluid in my X type after reading Dell Galley's posts on the subject. I consulted with Nulon Australia and found that their Full Synthetic, Multigrade Transmission Fluid met the Idemitsu K17 specification and, using a slightly modified version of Dell's procedure, I changed the fluid in my car. I have driven it daily for those 4 years and have had no transmission issues - the car changes gears perfectly, quietly and stays cool. I don't know about the S Type, but will say that you don't need to chase up so many other, expensive, brands for your X Types; the fluid I use is great. In a few years time, I will change the fluid again (using the same procedure) and the same fluid, if it is still available.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

That tends to happen, when you write about ATF, that there are people, who disagree. My research into that subject (with a lot of help from Don) was actually going even deeper than I wrote in my very long thread. As a result I would now never put anything else but Lifeguard 6 into the ZF 6hp26, and nothing but either Lifeguard 5 or Esso LT 71141 into the ZF 5hp24. And I found those fluids in Australia, even though expensive.

As for the X-Type: It seems to have various transmissions, but none of the 2 mentioned above (which are S-Type (=X204) and X308). My two X-Type have the same transmission as each other. It requires either Idemitsu K17 or Ravenol JF506E (The suitability lies right in the name, as the name of my x-type transmissions is Jatco JF506E.)

So far I have not been able to source any of those two in Australia, but last night I contacted both: Idemitsu of Australia and Ravenol of Australia. See what happens...

And I can agree with you in so far: Nulon SYNATF in my X-Type transmissions is better than running the transmission on empty - without any ATF! A couple of years ago I also put that Nulon into one of my X-Types. That was, before I knew better. And even now, that I know better...: I still have not found a source for the "right stuff". If I do, I will dump the Nulon. It is cheap, yes, but to cut it short: There cannot be any one ATF, which is able to meet the exact specification and all additive requirements of 50 other specially formulated OEM ATFs at the same time. It's just like offering a drink, which claims to be Cola and beer at the same time...

And another important note for anyone attempting to fiddle around on the X-Type transmission: I for my part have not yet found a "Check ATF level bolt", which I can open to check that the ATF level is correct. I am not saying there is none, but I have not found it yet. I also plan to investigate, if there is really no way to do a full flush on the X-Type (other than dumping as much as you can, fill up again, drive, dump again, and drive and once more...). The checl level bolt definitely is NOT the funny looking bolt (not a hex-bolt, but something with an odd head) accessible for the side behind the wheel: If you remove that bolt (which looks like it could be a check level bolt), you will have fun, because it drops something inside the transmission and you will have lost your reverse gear.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:23 PM

Okay,Peter. Dell Galley has written a full process to change the Xmission fluid and I also added some details about my process differences from Dell's. It is very clearly outlined about why one should not make the mistake of removing the wrong bolt, and how to flush the transmission to ensure the fluid is adequately flushed. If you haven't read it, I would suggest you do (at some time). In the meantime I will go on using the Nulon stuff and you can go on buying more expensive stuff that doesn't do any better. Take care.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

No argument there. I will use what is best for the Jags and as advised by the manufacturer of the ZF transmissions - the advise I received after contacting the development department of ZF in Friedrichshafen in Germany directly. And for the X-Type I only have the band-aid solution, as I wrote. If you give me the link to the X-Type flush procedure, I am interested. Thanks.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 12-14-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

It's a long thread with other links but, we'll worth reading it all.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-pics-183620/
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 12-15-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:31 AM

Peter, I am not so good on giving links, but (I think) Dell's first posts on the subject were made on 06/10/2017 (which could be 10/06/2017, being American). The thread is called 'Transmission Fluid Change (W/Pics). There are quite a few after that outlining issues related to it. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2022, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
It's a long thread with other links but, we'll worth reading it all. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...​​
Hi Dell, sadly your link does not work. Any chance that older threads disappear? Your thread is from 2017? The oldest entry from you that can be found is from Oct. 2018...

PS: I am good at finding stuff on the net: Your correct link is:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/transmission-fluid-change-w-pics-183620/
​​​​​​​

In your link above there are some funny character behind your actual link, which render that link non-operational...

PS2: I had a read and found your pic at the bottom of the tread of the ATF level check plug under the car next to that plate. Yes, I know that plug, and I had opened it quite some time ago, however, I had more the impression that is a second ATF release plug, as heaps and heaps of ATF came out there. So unless my transmission is hopelessly overfilled with ATF... // It will take me several month to find time working on the X-Type again - I am busy now with my X308.

PS3: I found out meanwhile that Ravenol JF506E is actually quite cheap in Germany, while I still have not been able to locate a source in Australia.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 12-15-2022 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added PS's
Old 12-15-2022, 05:38 PM
Received 13,255 Likes on 6,562 Posts

To get back to Olonokis' original question, as astromorg said, the fluid specified by Jaguar for the Aisin AWF21 (AWTF-80SC) transmission in his 2.2d is ExxonMobil JWS 3309, Jaguar part number C2S 51628.

According to Aisin, JWS 3309 is the same fluid as Aisin ATF Type T-IV, also known as ATF-0T4 or AFW. This is also bottled as Toyota ATF T-IV and is available at any Toyota dealership. ATF T-IV is a Dexron III type fluid and Aisin recommends it for Dex II and III applications. I am attaching Aisin's application chart for AFW. Curiously, it doesn't list JWS 3309 under Jaguar, but it does list it under Audi, BMW, Lexus, Porsche, Saab, etc.

For those with the Jatco JF506E/F5A5, Jaguar specifies Idemitsu K17 (Jatco 3100 PL085), Jaguar part number C2S 12120.

According to Idemitsu, its current fluid for this application is Idemitsu ATF Type J, which supersedes K17, Matic K, Matic D and Matic J fluids. Here are Idemitsu's stated compatibilities:
  • ATF Type J - Mineral-based Oil.
  • Meets Nissan Matic J / D / K,
  • Kia ATF Red-1
  • Hyundai ATF Red-1 Specifications
  • Jaguar Idemitsu K17 Specifications
If you intend to use a "Multi-vehicle" fluid from a third-party fluidmaker, do some research to determine the plausibility of the company's claims. Nulon, Valvoline, Castrol, BG and many others are guilty of completely implausible claims. Common examples are that their fluid can replace Ford Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon LV and Mercon SP. Yet Ford insists that these fluids cannot be interchanged without risk of transmission damage. Another example is the claim that a fluid can replace Dexron III, ZF Lifeguard 5, Lifeguard 6, and Lifeguard 8, while ZF insists these fluids are not interchangeable or backward-compatible. Since fluid-related failures tend to happen over tens of thousands of miles, it may be impossible to tell if a fluid is causing incorrect internal pressures, temperatures, slippage, torque converter power transfer, seal compatibility, anti-corrosion and anti-foaming properties, etc. I've studied enough ATF material safety data sheets and transmission manufacturer documentation that it's obvious that the only way third-party fluidmakers can claim their fluid is suitable in so many different transmissions is that compromises have been made. A fluid designed to "work" in so many transmissions is probably not optimal in any of them.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files

Last edited by Don B; 12-16-2022 at 09:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
EssOess (12-19-2022), XJRay (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Don,
I was already very exited to read in your post that Idemitsu ATF Type J can be used ilo. Idemitsu K17.
I checked on the net and could confirm that.
But then I had to figure out that Idemitsu ATF Type J also cannot be bought in Australia...
And neither Jatco 3100 PL085 or C2S 12120.

Meanwhile I got reply from Ravenol in Germany: They do not ship to Australia, they do not have contact to Ravenol Australia, thus they can not tell me, whom to contact there, and Ravenol Australia does not reply and neither does Idemitsu Australia.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Thanks, Don,
I was already very exited to read in your post that Idemitsu ATF Type J can be used ilo. Idemitsu K17.
I checked on the net and could confirm that.
But then I had to figure out that Idemitsu ATF Type J also cannot be bought in Australia...
Hi Peter,

Have you checked with a Nissan or Hyundai/Kia dealership?

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
EssOess (12-19-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Don - I checked the Nissan, Hyundai, Kia ATF with their product-name on the Australian internet - and no. Yes, I could walk into their office and ask, BUT after sitting another few hours on the net, I think I actually found an acceptable ATF for the Jatco JF506E. I can get it here, and I can get it here cheap. You were already leaning towards nodding off Fuchs ATF Titan 6006 for the ZF 6hp26 (S-Type)...
Well, I found Fuchs Titan 4400 as alternative for the Jatco JF506E:

https://fuchs-eu.lubricantadvisor.co...09aa566a84c7bb

https://www.fuchs.com/au/en/product/...itan-atf-4400/
It lists the Jatco JF506E under "approvals"...

And you know I like KV...
Idemitsu Type J has KV40=34.88 / KV100=7.33, see:
https://media.napaonline.com/is/cont...y/127176811pdf

...and Fuchs Titan 4400 has KV40=37.3 (or 34 in another MDSD I found) and KV100=7.3
https://www.generaloils.net/PI_TITAN-ATF-4400_e.pdf

Let me know, what you think of Fuchs Titan 4400 for Jatco JF506E...

Old 12-17-2022, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I think I actually found an acceptable ATF for the Jatco JF506E. I can get it here, and I can get it here cheap. You were already leaning towards nodding off Fuchs ATF Titan 6006 for the ZF 6hp26 (S-Type)... Well, I found Fuchs Titan 4400 as alternative for the Jatco JF506E. [snip] Let me know, what you think of Fuchs Titan 4400 for Jatco JF506E...
Hi Peter,

I've done a little research and the answer is, I don't know. Idemitsu does not give us sufficient information about its Type J fluid. It lists its primary ingredient as "Lubricating Base Stocks, Mixture" and discloses no CAS numbers. In another MSDS they describe the primary ingredient as a "proprietary mixture" or "trade secret."

The interesting thing I found while researching is that Fuchs Titan ATF 4400, Aisin Type T-IV, Chevron Dexron III and Valvoline Dex/Merc all share a common base oil, CAS 64742-54-7, which is known by various names such as Mineral Oil; Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Petroleum Distillates; Hydrotreated Hydrocracked Oil; Horticultural Spray Oil; and many other names. The Chevron Dexron III MSDS states that the product may also include one or more other base oils.

Fuchs Titan ATF 4400, Aisin ATF Type-IV and Valvoline Dex/Merc also share some form of methacrylate copolymer as a disclosed additive. There would likely be little risk in using Titan ATF 4400 or Aisin/Toyota ATF Type-IV in applications where Dexron III was originally specified.

Many of the transmissions used in Japanese vehicles use Dexron III type fluids. It would be nice to learn that Idemitsu ATF Type-J is also a Dexron III type fluid, because that would give you many options when sourcing an ATF. Unfortunately, Idemitsu does not disclose sufficient information to make an educated conclusion.

The one question mark is its published kinematic viscosity at 40°C is 34.88 cSt, which is a bit lower than that of most Dex III fluids, which tend to be 37 cSt or higher (as high as 44 cSt). But Type-J's published KM at 100°C is 7.33 cSt, which is slightly higher than that of most Dex III fluids, which tend to be in the 7.1 to 7.2 cSt range. So who knows?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-18-2022 at 02:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
EssOess (12-19-2022), Peter_of_Australia (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Don,
I only spotted your reply at midnight here. I have been again searching the internet myself for a couple of hours, and I am also not getting much wiser. All I can say, Fuchs is a German Product. This alone sounds good to me. Also, I believe that if a German company stated that this product is suitable for Jatco JF506E, that this can be believed (and I have no idea of how the culture of fake recommendations by multi-vehicle ATF manufacturers developed elsewhere...).
Also:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fluid-130598/
...in 2014 there was already someone here in this forum convonced of Fuchs Titan 4400...
I found that the base oil of Ravenol JF506E is CAS 72623-860 and of Fuchs 440 CAS 64742-54-7, but that does not tell me anything.

And Fuchs advertises also in Germany their Titan 4400 as suitable for Jatco JF506E. And again: I do not believe that the culture of fake claims by companies in Germany is "usus" (that is latin / = customary)

Quick Reply: Which Transmission Fluid to use for 2009 2.2d Sovereign Automatic?