Sponsored by:

transmission light after trans oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default transmission light after trans oil change

Morning....
drained 3 qts of transmission oil at the weekend and refilled with 3 qts of Royal Purple ATF.
drove 200 miles, no problems, shifted great.
Started the car this morning and the transmission light came on. Shut the car down and re-started it....light was still on.
Drove it for 2 blocks then shut it down again, re-started it and the light was off...any ideas?
I plan to do the 3qt drain and refill a few more times, just wanted to double check that Royal Purple ATF is suitable

Last edited by iownme; 07-06-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a way of reading the codes it would be informative to see what was causing the light.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Tranny

Just to educate me - I have an '02 X2.5, 6-spd auto (ok, formally 5-spd but with OD there are 6 discernable ratios...).

I was told my transmission was "sealed" and it never gets new fluid. I found that surprising, but my manual doesn't list changing tranny fluid amongst the various maintenance services. Has my leg been pulled?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by X2002
Just to educate me - I have an '02 X2.5, 6-spd auto (ok, formally 5-spd but with OD there are 6 discernable ratios...).

I was told my transmission was "sealed" and it never gets new fluid. I found that surprising, but my manual doesn't list changing tranny fluid amongst the various maintenance services. Has my leg been pulled?
It is and it isn't, do a search on Transmission fluid

Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 221 Likes on 98 Posts

That's the wrong fluid! There is a lot of confusion going on about the fluid for this automatic transmission so I'm going to tell you the truth. People want to save money, so they look for an alternative. Jaguar says: USE ONLY WSS-M2C922-A1 FOR THIS TRANSMISSIONS. No matter what anybody else says this is what you have to use. You can get this oil from the dealer. Your second problem is that what you need to perform is a transmission flush with the dealers fluid. You can go to a mechanic that you respect and have it done, cause you must also recheck the fluid to apropiate level. The "I put as much as comes out" can cause a lot of problems.

But since you might want to save money I'm going to give you the procedure for changing the fluid in your car:

1) Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to
For additional information, refer to: Lifting (100-02 Jacking and Lifting, Description and Operation).

2) Place a suitable container under the transmission drain plug.

3) CAUTION: If the automatic transmission fluid is very dirty or it contains metallic particles, then along with a new transmission, install a new automatic transmission fluid cooler and lines.
Remove the transmission drain plug.

4) Install the transmission drain plug. Tighten to 45 Nm.

5) Lower the vehicle.

6) Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

7) NOTE: Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification. Fill the automatic transmission with 8 litres of automatic transmission fluid through the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe.

8) Carry out a fluid level check and adjustment.

Fluid Level adjustment

Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 Jacking and Lifting.

2. Connect the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

3. Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position (P).

4. With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through "P-R-N-D-4-3-2" and back to the "P" position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F) on the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

5. When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the "P" position raise the vehicle.

6. With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug.

Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer.

7. NOTE: Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification.

If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube.

Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

8. NOTE: Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).

Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).

9. If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).

10. Install the transmission fluid level plug.

Install a new level plug and sealing washer.

Tighten to 15 Nm.

11. Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

12. Lower the vehicle.

13. Disconnect the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

Consider yourself educated :P

Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by daxter1987
That's the wrong fluid! There is a lot of confusion going on about the fluid for this automatic transmission so I'm going to tell you the truth. People want to save money, so they look for an alternative. Jaguar says: USE ONLY WSS-M2C922-A1 FOR THIS TRANSMISSIONS. No matter what anybody else says this is what you have to use. You can get this oil from the dealer. Your second problem is that what you need to perform is a transmission flush with the dealers fluid. You can go to a mechanic that you respect and have it done, cause you must also recheck the fluid to apropiate level. The "I put as much as comes out" can cause a lot of problems.

But since you might want to save money I'm going to give you the procedure for changing the fluid in your car:

1) Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to
For additional information, refer to: Lifting (100-02 Jacking and Lifting, Description and Operation).

2) Place a suitable container under the transmission drain plug.

3) CAUTION: If the automatic transmission fluid is very dirty or it contains metallic particles, then along with a new transmission, install a new automatic transmission fluid cooler and lines.
Remove the transmission drain plug.

4) Install the transmission drain plug. Tighten to 45 Nm.

5) Lower the vehicle.

6) Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

7) NOTE: Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification. Fill the automatic transmission with 8 litres of automatic transmission fluid through the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe.

8) Carry out a fluid level check and adjustment.

Fluid Level adjustment

Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 Jacking and Lifting.

2. Connect the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

3. Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position (P).

4. With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through "P-R-N-D-4-3-2" and back to the "P" position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F) on the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

5. When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the "P" position raise the vehicle.

6. With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug.

Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer.

7. NOTE: Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification.

If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube.

Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

8. NOTE: Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).

Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).

9. If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).

10. Install the transmission fluid level plug.

Install a new level plug and sealing washer.

Tighten to 15 Nm.

11. Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

12. Lower the vehicle.

13. Disconnect the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

Consider yourself educated :P
This JTIS procedure is elsewhere in the boards already, with pictures. Check the FAQ.

Also, good luck getting 8 litres back in there! ;-)

Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks daxter. Though, connecting, reading and disconnecting the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System may pose a bit of a challenge to the average DIYer. Lot's of previous discussions about alternate fluids. iownme, is the 1st I can recollect that has immediate signs of wrong fluid show up. If you ever leave the dealership, smuggle out a drum of the tranny fluid. You'll be rich.

Last edited by mohrd; 07-07-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you just drain the transmission from the plug do you only get 3 quarts out?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by daxter1987
7) NOTE: Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification.
It's a Ford specification, also applying to some JATCO transmissions, so here you go:

Pennzoil ® S5 ATF X Technical Data Sheet

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...1006071017.pdf

text search the pdf for "M2C922-A1", it is in the table on page 2.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

if removing the drain plug only evacuates 3 ltrs (on all x types so i read) why would i replace 8 qts, wont that overfill the transmission?.
I read many posts regarding what ATF to use, and from what i could see, no one uses the original jag fluid due to its astronomic high price. I went with Royal Purple as thats what seemed to be recommended as "the best aftermarket"
Of course the day it happened i plugged in my OBD2 scanner and the only code was the P1000 which i've had since owning it.
Can a few of you post what ATF you are using?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 221 Likes on 98 Posts

Connecting the computer is to read the temperature... just warm up the car if you don't have the computer.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

i read the jaguar approved way of changing the ATF before i did the job.
Then i read some threads saying that the easiest way of checking the fluid level (plus fluid condition) is to remove the drain plug, where if correctly filled, 3 qts would drain out. Then you simply replace the 3qts with 3 fresh qts, do this a few times and the full amount of fluid (in torque converter etc) will have been replaced.
Like others....i don't really want to be under the car while its running, with ATF coming out of the "check plug" hole, the drain and refill method made sense to me, so thats what i went with.
So what oil are y'all using in your transmission?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

well it appears i am the only x type owner to have changed the trans oil :+(

Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Correct Fluid

Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import transmission fluid meets the Jaguar spec. I've been using it fo the last 30,000 miles with absolutely no problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wild Bill:
iownme (07-12-2011), Jag4 (09-28-2016)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Wild Bill.
Usually people say great things about Royal Purple..... at every opportunity :+)
I can't believe no RP fans have commented on this thread.
Maybe as Daxter1987 says....it's not compatible, thats why no one seems to be using it?
Pretty bummed as that stuff wasn't cheap either, i was looking forward to seeing just how good RP is....never used it before.
I'll continue the flush procedure with the Castrol you recommended.
Thanks again

Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also need some ATF for mine, it is so confusing trying to find one with Jaguar's M2C922-A1 spec. Plums recommendation actually states M2C924-A and not 922. Wild Bill's looks interesting but doesn't mention M2C922-A at all, isn't that a problem?

I have found this from Ford UK

1209001 Ford Mondeo Transmission Oil Auto Transaxles (+) 5-Speed Jatco Select Shift, J-5S, Wss-M2C922-A1 for a 1.0 L 10/00-03/07 F1209001

And this which also states M2C922-A

Fuchs TITAN ATF 3353 Automatic Transmission Fluid

And this has been recommended this from another forum but again doesn't state M2C922-A

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Just what specs are we supposed to have, can anyone explain why it's ok to use an oil which doesn't state M2C924-A, which some members seem to recommend and use here, thanks for any help.