X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission not engaging after cleaning shift solenoid C

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024 | 05:18 PM
|
Default Transmission not engaging after cleaning shift solenoid C

2004 X-Type 3.0l awd automatic transmission would change out of second gear when driving. I drained the gearbox and took the valve body out. I used a 9 volt battery to test the C solenoid and it wasn't clicking on. I sprayed the solenoid with MAF cleaner. After letting it dry I tested it again and saw and heard it activate. I replaced the solenoid and reinstalled the valve body. I added fluid the required amount of fluid back to the gearbox but now the transmission won't engage when shifting the J-Gate in any position. I can hear the engine responding to the shifting but the car doesn't move. It just revs high. Positions are illuminated on the J-Gate when each position is selected. Rear sensors are working when reverse is selected. I'm at a lost of what the issue could be. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 02-20-2024 | 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Rcomeron,

you forgot a "not"...:
> 2004 X-Type 3.0l awd automatic transmission would change out of second gear
I know, you meant: "2004 X-Type 3.0l awd automatic transmission would NOT change out of second gear...
And I better clarify for all others: your 2nd, 3rd, N and R and P worked before you replaced the solenoid, and what was not working was:
When in D, it did not change over to 3, 4 and 5 automatically.

> I drained the gearbox and took the valve body out.
> I added fluid the required amount of fluid back to the gearbox but now the transmission won't engage when shifting the J-Gate in any position.
> I can hear the engine responding to the shifting but the car doesn't move. It just revs high.

I have an idea: I accidentally once started the car and wanted to drive, while I had no ATF in the tranny. The effect was same as you described above: Gear do not engage.

So when you write: "I added the required amount of ATF"...: What do you mean by that? How do you know that your ATF level is correct? I think I gave you my 2 links regarding full ATF flush and where the level-check bolt is (under the car) in the last thread you started. Did you check on the raised, but level, car the ATF-level with engine running?

Also: Is it possible that the ATF has not yet reached all the "corners" in the tranny, where it is supposed to be, given that you had removed the valve body? Maybe the ATF simply has not refilled all the channels in the valve body!? Maybe there is a certain procedure about that - that is something, I do not know...

The following users liked this post:
Rcameron24 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024 | 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

I actually have a Jatco JF506e manual - maybe you find something useful in there (attached).
(well, I tried - it does not upload...)

BUT: There it is:
https://tps.kz/JF506E-repair-manual.pdf

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 02-20-2024 at 06:28 PM.
Rcameron24 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024 | 06:58 PM
|

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Hi Rcomeron,

you forgot a "not"...:
> 2004 X-Type 3.0l awd automatic transmission would change out of second gear
I know, you meant: "2004 X-Type 3.0l awd automatic transmission would NOT change out of second gear...
And I better clarify for all others: your 2nd, 3rd, N and R and P worked before you replaced the solenoid, and what was not working was:
When in D, it did not change over to 3, 4 and 5 automatically.

> I drained the gearbox and took the valve body out.
> I added fluid the required amount of fluid back to the gearbox but now the transmission won't engage when shifting the J-Gate in any position.
> I can hear the engine responding to the shifting but the car doesn't move. It just revs high.

I have an idea: I accidentally once started the car and wanted to drive, while I had no ATF in the tranny. The effect was same as you described above: Gear do not engage.

So when you write: "I added the required amount of ATF"...: What do you mean by that? How do you know that your ATF level is correct? I think I gave you my 2 links regarding full ATF flush and where the level-check bolt is (under the car) in the last thread you started. Did you check on the raised, but level, car the ATF-level with engine running?

Also: Is it possible that the ATF has not yet reached all the "corners" in the tranny, where it is supposed to be, given that you had removed the valve body? Maybe the ATF simply has not refilled all the channels in the valve body!? Maybe there is a certain procedure about that - that is something, I do not know...
I checked the fluid level and it was correct. So that's what i meant by the required amount. Every gear on the J_Gate worked before I cleaned the solenoid. I let the car run for 30 mins before attempting to shift thru gears.

Old 02-20-2024 | 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

> I checked the fluid level and it was correct.
> I let the car run for 30 mins before attempting to shift thru gears.

You checked the level (hopefully with the engine running) before the car ran for 30 min.
Any chance that there have been any empty "cavities" somewhere in the tranny, which needed to be filled with ATF first (which might have happened meanwhile after the 30 min running), so that the resulting ATF level is meanwhile too low? Did you check the ATF level again after the car ran for 30 min.?

Did you check the Jatco manual, I linked above? Nothing useful in there?

Rcameron24 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024 | 09:16 AM
|

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
> I checked the fluid level and it was correct.
> I let the car run for 30 mins before attempting to shift thru gears.

You checked the level (hopefully with the engine running) before the car ran for 30 min.
Any chance that there have been any empty "cavities" somewhere in the tranny, which needed to be filled with ATF first (which might have happened meanwhile after the 30 min running), so that the resulting ATF level is meanwhile too low? Did you check the ATF level again after the car ran for 30 min.?

Did you check the Jatco manual, I linked above? Nothing useful in there?
I'm reviewing it now. If there are any empty cavities, how would i be able to fill them without overfilling the tranny? And thank you Peter for your help once again.

Old 02-21-2024 | 02:53 PM
|

Hey Peter. Do you know hiw to test the transmission range switch? Is it possible that the switch can be bad without throwing a code?

Old 02-21-2024 | 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well, the transmission range switch is the one, which gets operated from the gear lever via the cable to the bottom of the tranny, and which is on top of the tranny.
You wrote in your initial post: "Positions are illuminated on the J-Gate when each position is selected. "
This would tell me that you did not forget to re-attach the cable and that you attached it correctly (if the corresponding number to the selected gear is illuminated), and it should also mean that that switch is OK...

In regards of the empty cavities: I would be hoping that running the engine operates the ATF-pump, which would then fill the cavities... unless - and I do not know, if that is possible (just an idea) the cavity (airpocket without ATF) is just in front of the ATF-pump, which would mean that the pump can't pump, which would be a really stupid design. But I do not know, if that is possible at all. So if you checked the level after running the engine (and the engine should run, while you check the level anyway) that should normally be OK. It was just an idea with that cavity.

You have replaced one of the solenoids...: Did you replace it with the correct part? And you did not forget to all the bits and pieces back into the valve body as they were? Including the electrical connectors to the solenoids? And you cannot think of something, which would - after your repair - suddenly have created a blockage of the flow of ATF thru the channels?

PS: Just something, which came to mind about transmission range switches...: That one is called "inhibitor switch" on the Ford Fairlane and is very susceptible to getting damaged. I replaced two of those. The effect was that the car could not be started without pressing the gear lever sharply forward to tell the car, that it is really in "P", which the car would not "believe" otherwise. With a bit of patience, the car could also be started in "N".

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 02-21-2024 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added PS note
Rcameron24 (02-25-2024)
Old 02-22-2024 | 10:20 AM
|

I found the issue. It's the low clutch solenoid. I didn't replace the shift solenoid. I just cleaned it. But now I've ordered the kit to replace all of them. I'll update you once I'm done. Thanks again for all of your input. Really appreciated.

Peter_of_Australia (02-22-2024)