X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signals, High Beams and Door Locks not working - Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn Signals, High Beams and Door Locks not working - Help

My sons 2004 x-type is having some issues. He came home the other day and told me that his turn signals are not working along with his high beam lights and his door locks do not work with the remote (new battery in remote). He is still able to lock his car using the key hole lock in the driver side door. One notable thing that happens often since these issues is that his interior dome light will flash 3-4 times real fast like its trying to tell me some sort of code?

I have read in a few other threads that it could be a simple fuse. Fuse F25 (15a fuse). Well on the 2004 model there is no F25 fuse under the hood, it is just blank where it should be. There is an F25 fuse on the interior fuse box but it is only a 5a fuse. I can not figure out any other fuse to check.

I have also read that it could be GEM related.

Does anyone have any ideas? thanks....

Old 02-11-2015, 02:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,907 Likes on 3,210 Posts

diggity, first off, look in the driver's door jam and tell me the build date on the white sticker. There was an update made to the electrical system for your year car. So, you may have 1 of 2 wiring systems. With the build date, I can tell you which wiring harness you have.

Now, if he tries to use his high beams. Does the light on the instrument cluster light up indicating that the high beams are on? This will help me figure out where the problem lies.

Along the same lines, when he puts on the turn signal, does the indicators on the dash flash? If they do flash, at the normal rate or at a very fast rate?

We can get this taken care of. Just need a little bit of info and then we can get things rolling in the right direction.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 AM

Chris, thanks for the reply. I will check these out today and report back a bit later!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
diggity, first off, look in the driver's door jam and tell me the build date on the white sticker. There was an update made to the electrical system for your year car. So, you may have 1 of 2 wiring systems. With the build date, I can tell you which wiring harness you have.

Now, if he tries to use his high beams. Does the light on the instrument cluster light up indicating that the high beams are on? This will help me figure out where the problem lies.

Along the same lines, when he puts on the turn signal, does the indicators on the dash flash? If they do flash, at the normal rate or at a very fast rate?

We can get this taken care of. Just need a little bit of info and then we can get things rolling in the right direction.

Chris,

When he switches to high beams nothing lights up, and nothing lights up or flashes when he tries to use his turn signals either.

mfg date on sticker is - 04/04

Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Diggity, just to make sure that we are on the correct path. I want to make sure that the fog lights will still turn on. If they don't, then let me know as we have a bigger problem.

As for the problem at hand. You want to first start by looking at fuse F35 in the passenger fuse box. This should be a 15A fuse. If in doubt, swap this fuse with another 15A fuse. Did things come back? Also, are the door chimes working and/or the interior lights? If not, then this is a sign that you have a power issue associated with fuse F35 or the associated wiring. The other possibility is the GEM module is toast.

If you are thinking that it is a power issue with the GEM, then what you will need to do is to access the GEM module and using a multimeter, measure pin Pin 5 (orange wire) to chassis ground to verify that it has 12 VDC (12.0 VDC or higher) on it. If you don't have 12 VDC there, then you have a wiring issue. If you do have 12 VDC there, then you have a bad GEM module.

I am hoping that it is simply a blown fuse. Along these same lines, just because you put in a new fuse, don't assume that it didn't blow. If you are still having issues, recheck the fuse. If it blew, then it is pretty sure you have a bad GEM module (unless someone has been working inside the dash recently, then you might be looking at a wiring issue where the wire got accidentally cut or the wire bundle has gotten damaged).

Let me know what you find.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:22 PM

Chris,

Fog light work. Door chimes do not work but the interior lights do work.

I checked fuse F35 and it did not look bad, I swapped with a new one anyhow and it did not do anything.

What would be my next step?

thanks for your time, we really appreciate it!

Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Veteran member

Diggity, if the door chime is working, then this pretty much confirms that the problem is internal to the GEM module and this will require a module replacement. THe good thing is that replacing the module requires no dealer time to reprogram anything. It is a plug and play module. Do some looking around. Iam sure you can find a new module for fairly cheap ($100 or so).

Old 12-08-2016, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old annoying bug

Hello everybody! Need your opinion or advise badly. I'm the first and only owner of 2008 X 2.2 with 55 kmiles now. All these years car is experiencing one recurring problem - sudden loss of turn indicators plus door locks out of remote control plus interior lights permanently on plus parking sensors buzzing spontaneously plus "driver's door open" indicator on. Further more, if you lock driver's door with a key in good old mechanical fashion, subsequent opening it will bring alarm siren into action and it won't stop shouting by any means other than disconnecting battery.
While under warranty car visited authorized dealers many times but they were able to find nothing. The only effective recommendation I've got was to disconnect battery for 20 sec and the connect it back. It worked for 7 years and still works now. Through these years I figured out that the problem resurges under damp weather conditions (especially rains and fogs). Sometimes it happens twice a day, sometimes once in 3-4 months. Personally I am able to suffer it further on, but this car is my wife's daily driver. Please help! (and sorry for my english).