X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tweeter Speaker Grill replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter Speaker Grill replacement!

When I recently replaced my speakers on my 2003 X-type (10 speaker set up - 4 woofers, 4 tweeters, sub woofer box in trunk) I lost a tweeter grill.

For those wondering - I replaced blown factory speakers with Infinity Kappa 60.7 cs purchased off EBay.....Total cost for all 4 doors was $150.00

Also pulled factory sub woofer box in trunk and replaced one 6x9 sub woofer with 2 6x9 subwoofers.....

looking for Tan/creme color - any ideas on replacement parts or where I can get one. I have a feeling from researching that they come on the door panel. So I may have to track one down from salvage.....

Any help would be appriciated....not a major issue, but it is kind of like a pimple on your face. It is there staring at you until you do something about it!

Cheers,

D

Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tweeter Speaker Grill replacement!

the factory trunkbox is supposed to house 2 6.5" subs. yours came with a single 6x9? someone changed it.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Let me clarify - there was 2 6.5 subs in it.....one worked.. One did not......it did not even have the magnet on the speaker.......cruel Alpine joke? But it was all factory, no upgrades.. I mis-typed, and mis-measured......it was my first time.

New ones are snug, but sound pretty good. Good bass, and no vibrations......it was hard finding subs that small!

Thanks nineball.

D

Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 PM

I am looking to replace my speakers as well and I was planning to replace them with the Kappa 60.7cs myself and I have a few questions.

1. Since the Kappa's are 2ohms have you experienced any issues with the factory Alpine amp shutting off?
2. How good/loud is the sound using the Kappa's on the factory amp? Crutchfield says the Kappa's willfit without mods to the doors.
3. What brand of subs did you use?
4. Do you know what ohm the subs and door speakers are?
5. Did you use the cross over included with the Kappa's?
6. Does the factory door speakers have a cross over or if they have seperate amplifier channels?

Thanks,
Nate

Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

ORIGINAL: deberly

Let me clarify - there was 2 6.5 subs in it.....one worked.. One did not......it did not even have the magnet on the speaker.......cruel Alpine joke? But it was all factory, no upgrades.. I mis-typed, and mis-measured......it was my first time.

New ones are snug, but sound pretty good. Good bass, and no vibrations......it was hard finding subs that small!

Thanks nineball.

D
The factory alpine sub never came with 2 6.5" drivers. It only came with one 6.5" active "subwoofer". I say subwoofer in quotes because a 6.5" driver isn't really capable of producing anything below about 60hz with any real measureable amplitude.

Actually it's not a cruel joke or a mistake. It's called a passive radiator. Basically it acts as the equivalent of a port on a speaker box. A port allows part of the energy from a speakers backwave to vent out to the enviroment.

Consider the passive radiator a "tuned" port if you will. Basically it uses the energy of the back wave of the speaker to power (move) the cone of the passive radiator, and provide additional front wave output. An interesting idea if done well. But To the untrained eye it just looks like 2 6.5" drivers. Until they take it apart like you did.

Take care,

George

Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM

androulakis - great info. Where were you when I was working it it! Anyway I replaced with 2 subwoofers and it puts out a pretty good sound. Nothing like you will hear with the local kids, but more thank enough for this one.

Back the to question = Anyone have any idea on where to look for a speaker grill replacement?

As always thanks for the great info everyone!

D

Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 PM

Nate - I am working on response - and almost had done. It is legnthy.....but computer shut off......%$#O#*$(#U$(*U!!!!!!!!! Anyway have to start over.....so I will get up ASAP.

Thanks,

D

Old 11-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey deberly I tried to search google and ebay for a resolution for you...I'd try a junk yard or salvage yard...actually I'd check with the dealer and go from there...If its not that big of a deal just wait and look up a different set of tweeters to see how you could mount the grill of the tweeter onto the door.

Hey deberly how did you wire that? I'd imagine jag had that wired to 4 ohm load but don't really know...In my dealer book I got a ton of 6.5" mid-bass drivers...price ranges and so does the power needed to run them...I think I'd like to get a set of audiobahn amd60q 6.5 drivers...they state 200 watts rms!!! Don't know what the box for the factory setup looks like but you build a good enough box for even those small subs you can make them sound pretty good...wonder what the sub channel of that amp is actually rated at?

Good question on the ohm load I'm not sure on that...

Hey agl why don't you look into mb quart? They are supposed to the best of the best for the money...

Hey guys look up this link when you get a chance and see what they do with stuff...don't just stop at audiobahn though look at all of their stuff its quite awesome...I've found myself losing days though watchign videos though because they have sooo many of them...watch also the kid with 6x9's in his trunk powered only by a sony head units measly 52 watts/ channel peak!
LINK

Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 AM

D,

I am looking forward to getting your replys!

Here are a few more questions for the masses.

1. Does anyone know what the internal air volume is for the Alpine subwoofer box? There are two 6.5" subwoofers I looking at using. One is a JL Audio 6W0 and the other is an Elemental Desing 7Kv.2. The JL needs .175 cu ft of air space and the ED needs .25 cu ft.
2. Each sub is 3.5" deep. Is there enough depth in the sub box?
3. How much power does the sub channel of the factory Alpine amplifier put out?
4. Has anyone used a hi/low converter on the factory Alpine amp with any success? If so which brand did you use and how does it sound?
5. Has anyone used Elemental Design 7Kv.2 or JL's 6W0? If so how does it sound? ED says two of their 6.5's are similar to one 12 if you give it enough power.
6. What is the maximum diameter6.5 " sub that will fit? The ED's are a 7.25" mounting area and I'm not 100% sure if they will even fit.

Thanks,
Nate

Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

You want to see videos of almost anything you are looking at installing...go here.
Realmofexcursion

Haven't heard any of them in person...not sure about the stock alpine sub box either...I'd make something out of mdf though and mount up there to get what you are looking for if the stock box doesn't work out...or just use one of these nicer subs you are looking at getting and make the whole (i'd imagine its plastic) stock box for one of the small 6.5's...

Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM

1. Does anyone know what the internal air volume is for the Alpine subwoofer box? There are two 6.5" subwoofers I looking at using. One is a JL Audio 6W0 and the other is an Elemental Desing 7Kv.2. The JL needs .175 cu ft of air space and the ED needs .25 cu ft.

the easiest way to find out cubic volume is with packing peanuts. gt a 12" x 12" x 12" cardboard box and fill it with peanuts. now you have 1 cf of airspace. dump it into your sub enclosure. repeat as needed to determine airspace. also keep in mind you will have to subtract the airspace that the sub takes up as well, or it's displacement. in the case of the ED you would need an internal airspace of 0.29 cf as the sub displaces 0.04 cf.

5. Has anyone used Elemental Design 7Kv.2 or JL's 6W0? If so how does it sound? ED says two of their 6.5's are similar to one 12 if you give it enough power.

ED makes nice subs, and so does JL. personally i prefer JL over any other sub. ED is also blowing smoke up your *** - there is no way that 2 (or even 8) 6.5" mid-range subs will sound like a 12" woofer. it is just not physically possible. the 6.5 cannot move the air that a 12" can.

6. What is the maximum diameter6.5 " sub that will fit? The ED's are a 7.25" mounting area and I'm not 100% sure if they will even fit.

i think you are a bit confused on this one. the 7.25" is the area that will be outside of the box, or the basket that holds the entire assembly. the mounting holes will have to be 6" in diameter.if you will need anything to mount them it would be an adapter ring at worst i would guess.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Actually depending on a box you could make a smaller sub sound bigger...the right box would make a world of difference...I find it hard to make a good sound with the stock subs though...

Here's a good example...these are 6x9's powered by a sony stereo's power...
Link....pretty impressive for some 6x9's if I do say so myself...

Old 11-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Nate (aka - AGLXTYPE) and aquill1,

Here are the answers to your questions..and I warn you this is long...but first a disclaimer.

I am not an audiophile, I do not claim to know what I am talking about or doing when it comes to car audio. I wired my home for surround sound and figured with a little research...(great resource aquill1 !!!!) on the web I would jump in and give it a try. Hey how bad could I screw it up right?

Nate I am glad to hear you consulting Crutchfield. I did the same, I just bought off eBay because I am a cheap *******! Ok - not really, but I got the Kappa's for $225 for front and back with shipping. So I saved over $200 from Crutchfield....that is $200 to use to find a replacement grill for my tweeter!!! The irony...

Also here is what I started with.

2003 3.0 XType with premium sound - 4 tweeters/4 woofers, and the "sub" box with one working speaker in it. (please refer to post by androulakis on the sub box).

Okay so lets get after the list....

1. Since the Kappa's are 2ohms have you experienced any issues with the factory Alpine amp shutting off?

In the 2 months since I have done the upgrade I have not had any issues with shut off. Also the Crutchfield boys told me the Alpine system was rated at 2ohms - that is why I went with the Kappa's. They also recommended the 5070 reference as well. I have no idea if they are right or wrong, but that is what Ozzy the Crutchfiled rep told me - so it must be true!

Also I am not sure if the amp in the sub box powers anything but the sub box.

2. How good/loud is the sound using the Kappa's on the factory amp?

This is a good question - especially since I am not sure that the amp powers anything other than the sub box. All woofers were blown when I got it. So since I have no other reference on Jag audio - I have no idea what original speakers sounded like. But I do the that - in my humble opinion the Kappas sound pretty good. As good at the wife's loaded 05 Honda Accord stereo. Here are some reference points...

I always drive with moonroof open and find that volume level 20 when playing CD's is good. When riding with the family 12-15 is good enough to have a conversation, and still annoy the wife.

Now when listening to the radio I find that 22-25 is good. Not sure why - but sound is definitely not as loud with radio as CD's.

I listen to what could be described as Rock, Pop and sports talk radio. And I like it loud....

2b. Crutchfield says the Kappa's will fit without mods to the doors.

NOT TRUE! The woofers fit with the starfish mountings. The tweeters are to big to fit with out cutting the holes bigger. So I did not replace the tweeters as of yet. I wanted to sleep in it before I start cutting the door panel. Also not sure how I would mount the tweeters as the adapters look like the new holes would drill through the panel where they are placed.

I did by new harness for the door speakers because I did not want to cut the speaker wires in the door. $14.00 for front and back from Crutchfield, or they come free with your order. I just bought them and saved $186 by purchasing Kappa's on eBay.

3. What brand of subs did you use?

The subs could only be described as generic. Here is the info where I bought off of eBay... $22.00 with shipping for 2.

CONE: BLACK TREATED CURVED PAPER
COIL SIZE: 1 " 
EFFICIENCY: 88DB 
IMPEDANCE: 4 OHMS
POWER: 50 WATTS RMS, 100 PEAK 
MODEL: CW65
OUTER DIAMETER: 6 3/4"
CUTOUT DIAMETER: 5 7/8"
SCREW SPACING: 6 3/8" DIAG
DEPTH (OVERALL/MOUNTING): 3 1/4" / 3"
MAGNET DIAMETER: 4"
WEIGHT: 3.2LBS
I installed both in the box and wired using this diagram from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningc...4%2Dohm%5Fmono

Do not know if it right or wrong but hey it works!

4. Do you know what ohm the subs and door speakers are?

Crutchfield said premium audio is 2ohms. Not sure if this is correct but I used 2ohm speakers and they work no issues so far.

5. Did you use the cross over included with the Kappa's?

No - I ended up using the wiring in the doors since as they are already split - tweeters are separate from woofers, and I did not install the tweeters to no real point.

6. Does the factory door speakers have a cross over or if they have separate amplifier channels?

Yes the factory door speakers on the premium sound system have the cross over built in. Amp is a mono channel from what I can tell.

LESSONS LEARNED!

1. I think the Kappa's would sound better if they were attached to an amp, but they sound good enough for me to enjoy them with current set up. Might have one installed someday.

2. Unless you are ready to cut out holes for the tweeters or pay someone to do it for you.....you only really need to upgrade the woofers.

3. The sub box subs turned out well, they give a nice thump but do not get me wrong. I will not compete with the kids down the block.

4. Don't be afraid to pull the door panels and take a look around....it is really not that hard to do!

Hope that answers some questions. Again I am no expert...some just guy who wanted sound.

Sorry for no picts.

Cheers,

D

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Nate,

I will answer what I know...or think I know!

3. How much power does the sub channel of the factory Alpine amplifier put out?

Local guys checked mine and said 320 watts....not sure if this is right?

Best of Luck,

Cheers,

D

Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

I'd imagine that the alpine's do run at 2 ohms as most of the alpine's i've come across are 2 ohm...the wattage sounds about right as well! That amp isn't big enough to put out too much more than that! I can't wait to get an s-type r to be able to tamper with the radio! Mine has no factory amp in the trunk so there's no tinkering...If I decide to I'll probably upgrade the speakers someday to mb quarts when/if I decide to hang onto the car...the sweetest part of the s-type r is all the work I'd have to do to add aftermarket sound to it every single item I'd need is in the trunk! The battery is next to the spare tire and the amp is right there on the side of the trunk...man someday will come!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 PM

aquill1 - ya I have searched eBay and google as well. I guess I will have to inquire at the dealership about the tweeter grill. I have been also been thinking about going to down to Home Depot or Lowes and looking at the mesh grill. I am sure I can make one that will work.....

It may be hiding in the door still. I guess I can pull the panel and speaker and look "inside" the door by the glass.....

I guess I will get motivated one day and just pull the panel and speaker and look around.

Thanks for the help.

D

Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Actually depending on a box you could make a smaller sub sound bigger...the right box would make a world of difference...I find it hard to make a good sound with the stock subs though...

Here's a good example...these are 6x9's powered by a sony stereo's power...
Link....pretty impressive for some 6x9's if I do say so myself...

well, it does produce a lot ofnoise, but that is about it. way too much airspace in that box for a set of 6x9 speakers, and it really just sounds terrible. loads of distorion. a 6x9 speaker is designed to produce midrange frequencies, not low end. just beacuse you can do something, or build something, does not mean you should. my X is awd, so in theory i could jack it up a few inches, throw on some beefy tires and drive it offroad. but i don't. still baffles me when i heara trunk rattling like mad. if you are gonna spend the money for wiring, amps, subs, boxes and install why not spend a little more and dynamat (or similar product) the trunk? no one wants to hear the garbage cans making noise behind your car.

i do agree with you that a properly designed box can make all the difference. in my last car i ran a pair of jl audio 10w0 subs in a computer designed slot ported box custom made for the rear of the truck. giving each sub around 150 RMS i was able to hit 141.5db. keep in mind the GIGO rule. garbage in, garbage out. like that 6x9 setup.

if you want to check any ohm rating, take a trip to sears. for$20 at Sears you can get a small multimeter on sale right now, which is a pretty useful thing to have if you don't. the 320 rating on the amp sounds about right - 4 x 50 (component), 1 x 120 (sub)maybe for the breakdown? i wonder if that is 320rms or 320max watt though. i would tend to think it was more like 160rms -4 x 25, 1 x 60. i ran a 4 x 75rms amp in my last setup for all 4 component speakers and it was damn loud when i cranked it.

for the possible tweeter replacement, take a walk thru best buy or even walmart and look at the home stereos and computer speakers. most of them have some form of a tweeter grille to protect the tiny speakers inside. i bet you could find one that would do in a weekend of store hopping. if that fails, go to a quality home theater store and show them what you need. they may be able to order the grille. might even get lucky and have some laying around the store.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

I bet they aren't too bad from the dealer if they have them...hey nineball I was just posting to show that a box makes the difference...for what that was those speakers should have amazed you! After all as you stated they were 6x9's!!! Those moved air and weren't intended to pound....especially not off a head units power...I wasn't saying I'd ever put those in the car but if you have them sitting around whats the problem in playing with things? You don't have to like it you know it had some bass especially for what little bit of power was hooked to it! That guy has a different set up for that car I've seen a different video somewhere of his...Tinkering around is half the fun of everything, don't have to steal all the thunder! Shoot if I had those sitting around I'd be messing around with it...can't say I'd waste the time in building that box for it but hey...Actually come to think of it 6x9's do put off a decent amount of bass. Had a set of 6x9's hooked up in my sisters boyfriends car and they do produce a decent amount of bass for what they are...obviously a 6x9 isn't gound to put the low end grunt into the mix but they do put off bass...they don't have to sound bad. I'd imagine if that guy hooked an amp to the audiobahns they wouldn't have been distorted as you say...BTW what amp do you have hooked to your jls?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Deberly,

Awesome wright up man! Thanks a bunch for the detail. I found a little bit of sound system info at
http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/...ktext2001.html. I saw that 320 watts was what some believe the sub amp puts out. This site says it's only 35 watts. Go figure. Base on what you laid out the route I plan to take is to go with 2 sets of Blaupunkt GTc652 components. These speakers do not come with a crossover which would be perfect for the X-Type as I too have no interest in cutting my doors to fit 1 inch tweets. Our tweets (per the Jag-Lover.com article) are 20mm and the Blaupunkts come with full 1 inchers. If I go through Crutchfield I may also get as an option 2 sets of the JL Audio VR075-CT tweets as they are only 19mm. As for the subs I have a 10w0 in a ported box and will hook that up to the factoryAlpine sub channel. I wonder if there is a way to remove the amp in the sub box without damaging the sub box and then mount the amp by itself? For SQ it would allow much more sound into the cabin via the sub wholes in the rear deck not being covered with the box. Another option (if I knew the internal air space of the factory sub box) would be to mount 2 JL audio 6w0 subs or 2 Elemental Design 7kw.2 subs in the box and not sacrifice any trunk space.

Nate

Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 PM

damn, i was close 35 watts to the sub only? that won't do anything to that jl. the 10w0 is rated at up to 125rms, but can easily handle close to 200rms. i think i could move the cone better by hand than the 35w will do. good luck.

as far as the airspace, use the peanut trick i posted above.

Quick Reply: Tweeter Speaker Grill replacement!