X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turboing a X-type 3.0 or 2.5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Cummins
But saying that, you can't spend too much money on something that you love :-)

Amen!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

The reason i want to twin turbo is im looking for a project, since im a first year mechanical engineering student at Michigan Tech and i want to do change a x-type into somthing really cool, i want a project over the summer to make a subaru fighter. Since a X-type with 400-450hp would be really cool, and i know it would be a lot of work but it would be worth it in the end! If anyone could make a list on the things they think i would have to change to make this work would be very appricative, just so i dont miss anything and i would buy a 2005 Jaguar X-type Sport with a manual.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a lot involved with a twin turbo project. You have to address a bunch of different aspects.
You have to address the mechanical aspect: headers, which turbos to use, pipes, charge cooling and intake. There's fuel, such as injectors, possibly a fuel pump and how to get the fuel in, i.e. fuel pressure regulator, etc. How to control the boost. Tuning. After all this you have to be prepared for the weak links of the car to become evident. Transfer case, possible heat issues, etc.
Unfortunately with a project like this it's not a cut and dry "this is what you need" because of the complexity of the project and unknown factors because nothing like this has been done before.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

jaguarXKR, if you are looking for an engineering project, solve the transfer case issue first. If you solve that, then the rest of the twin turbo project will be a piece of cake. In short, you have to figure out where the weak links are in the transfer case and then figure out how to strengthen them up either through adding more metal there (case is aluminum, so, welding it up is going to be a challenge for a welder) or adding external supports (must know direction of strain and be able to fabricate an exoskeleton to the transfer case to divert the stresses to the exoskeleton vice through the case). You solve that, I bet you can make a lot of money if you can make something that will be easy to add as there are a lot of us that would love to have something like that so we can bump up the power of our motors and not destroy transfer cases left and right.

The following users liked this post:
camwantsajag (12-06-2014)