X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

u0001 remove TCM (on gearbox) and gear selector cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default u0001 remove TCM (on gearbox) and gear selector cable

So, I previously had the turbo/gearbox/glowplug light on, and sorted it with the Mr Muscle method, but I'm still getting an engine light, just without the glowplug light.
After doing a scan I get U0001 High CANBUS communication with TCM error.

I checked the connections on the TCM connector, and on the block connector, and they seem good. There was some, what I thought, was water in the connection, but I'm thinking it must have been electrical grease. But I cleaned all the connections anyway. No change.
Next step was to check the TCM itself. I went at it yesterday, kind of late, and wasn't sure how to get the gear selector cable off (photo below). Anybody know? Push down on the top? Or just force it off? Or can I Just pull out the TCM with it still attached?
I had the bolts off the TCM but it was still kind of stuck so I didn't force it. After checking a photo of one on eBay later it looks like there's some kind of connection underneath, going into the gearbox I assume.
I'm guessing this might be where the problem is because the problem was intermittent before, but after messing with the TCM the MIL light is permanently on the dash now and won't clear at all. Before it would just randomly come on after an hour or a day.
Also kind of strange was that a connector on the cooling fan module was disconnected, seems to be 2 of them right beside each other. No idea if it's a related issue or not. Maybe depending on if they're on the same CAN network. Must check out a wiring diagram.
But yes, my main question is about disconnecting the gear selector cable from the TCM. How do I do it? The workshop manual just seems to gloss over it, and I don't want to screw it up!
And of course any other photos, links, suggestions, diagrams, and general wisdom would be nice, if anybody wants to chip in.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts

??

This says it's a wheel speed sensor code

https://www.jaguarwhiteplains.com/se...uble-codes.htm

Old 04-09-2021, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
??

This says it's a wheel speed sensor code

https://www.jaguarwhiteplains.com/se...uble-codes.htm
Na, it definitely seems to be a CANBUS error, and in this case it was in the TCM module on the reader. The jaguar workshop manual also confirms it. But that's not to say that a wheel sensor error wouldn't give the same code if there's a communication problem with that. At least that's my thinking anyway. Or any other module for that matter.

Old 04-08-2024, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue with my Hyundai Elantra 2012

Originally Posted by gijoe50000
So, I previously had the turbo/gearbox/glowplug light on, and sorted it with the Mr Muscle method, but I'm still getting an engine light, just without the glowplug light.
After doing a scan I get U0001 High CANBUS communication with TCM error.

I checked the connections on the TCM connector, and on the block connector, and they seem good. There was some, what I thought, was water in the connection, but I'm thinking it must have been electrical grease. But I cleaned all the connections anyway. No change.
Next step was to check the TCM itself. I went at it yesterday, kind of late, and wasn't sure how to get the gear selector cable off (photo below). Anybody know? Push down on the top? Or just force it off? Or can I Just pull out the TCM with it still attached?
I had the bolts off the TCM but it was still kind of stuck so I didn't force it. After checking a photo of one on eBay later it looks like there's some kind of connection underneath, going into the gearbox I assume.
I'm guessing this might be where the problem is because the problem was intermittent before, but after messing with the TCM the MIL light is permanently on the dash now and won't clear at all. Before it would just randomly come on after an hour or a day.
Also kind of strange was that a connector on the cooling fan module was disconnected, seems to be 2 of them right beside each other. No idea if it's a related issue or not. Maybe depending on if they're on the same CAN network. Must check out a wiring diagram.
But yes, my main question is about disconnecting the gear selector cable from the TCM. How do I do it? The workshop manual just seems to gloss over it, and I don't want to screw it up!
And of course any other photos, links, suggestions, diagrams, and general wisdom would be nice, if anybody wants to chip in.

So, I’m kinda having the same issue with my car here except that I still did not try to disconnect or clean/repair anything. I was hoping that you found the exact cause and fix to your problem here. It would really help me if you do have more information about this issue.

please feel free to reach out to me via email if you can help, I’d really appreciate it.
my email: km124211@gmail.com

Old 04-08-2024, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by k-hamad
So, I’m kinda having the same issue with my car here except that I still did not try to disconnect or clean/repair anything. I was hoping that you found the exact cause and fix to your problem here. It would really help me if you do have more information about this issue.

please feel free to reach out to me via email if you can help, I’d really appreciate it.
my email: km124211@gmail.com
Hey. No I never got to the root issue, but I did realise that the fault code (can bus communication error) and check engine light seem to be unrelated.
In my case the check engine light is related to the Readiness Monitor not completing the emissions check (P1000 code) and it's probably related to the EGR system, but communication error seems to just be a small random issue that doesn't affect anything. I can make the coms error happen by moving from P to D and I get a few errors as the shift moves, but it seems like a non-issue, more like the ECU doesn't quite know what position the shifter is in.

But I can't get rid of the pesky engine light because there are no other faults and the car runs just fine! I mean I can clear the fault, but it comes back after 3 restarts.
And when I go for my NCT (Irish MOT) I just clear the faults before I hand over the car and it always passes, no problem, and then the check engine light comes on again on the way home..