X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown noise front front passenger side wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown noise front front passenger side wheel

Hey folks, after another couple of weeks I am back again! I recently noticed when I was in the middle of a turn, or even at a straight away, but was straightening the car out from a merge or a passing, I heard a noise sounding comparably, like generic "road noise" so i dismissed it as tire wear, and continued on. Now, after just a few days, and less than 20 miles, the noise is much louder. It sounds almost, as if it's something against my disc for the brake, but when I step on the brake, the sound doesn't swing or wayne. It will make the noise at a straight away, but only if the wheel is somewhat turned to the left, or if the weight of the vehicle is sitting on those components.. If you gas it with the wheel mostly straight, it will make this noise! I have recorded a video, but can't find a way to show that in here. It sounds, from the inside, like a rumbling, grinding type, but from the outside, sounds like a grinding "rusted" like noise.
I have gotten it to make the sound moving very slowly forward, with the wheel turned to the far left. Even without moving forward, sometimes it will make the sound without even moving-- which makes me think further that it isn't a brake issue.

I am thinking the wheel bearing? Since it's already had to be done on my back 2 wheels, but got to it before it started making any noise-- and with that i replace the entire spindle.
I just recently had brakes done on all 4 wheels, pads are fine, air pressure is fine in tires. Any direction or info will be much appreciated! In advance-- thanks for helping me try to diagnose this!

Old 09-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,916 Likes on 763 Posts

Hi TBanks98,
Based on your comprehensive description, it would tend to point to a wheel bearing that is failing.
Usually wheel bearings give a rumbling sound, or create a droning like you have a knobbly tyre tread running on asphalt.
Usually you can jack the wheel up of the ground and spin by hand to get a sound to be created, but I not you are finding you need a load to created the effect.

The crisper 'rust sound' you are describing is unusual, unless you have so much coarse debris from the failed hardened surface now circulating in the grease that you are literally hearing that being ground down into small pieces.
It is not likely a half shaft or CV joint, they click and pop under turning load usually.
If you have ruled out brake contact in the caliper, the only other thing might be the reluctor ring on that drive shaft assembly that provides rotation feedback for speed, ABS and traction systems.
They have been known to crack and deform which might create some friction contact with the hub assembly or catch on the reluctor sensor pick up, giving rise to a sound.
Look up some threads regarding these reluctor rings as there have been some good photos posted on how to view and inspect.
Good luck on your continued diagnosis.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the power steering fluid? If it’s low it can lead to all sorts of strange noises.