Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts
Default Unlock car door without keys

Old 05-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Try it and let me know how it works for you. May I recommend using a basket ball as you will probably have better luck.

Using what they are saying in that the tennis ball is pressurizing the car door to push the lock mechanism up, you would have to apply around say 2 pounds of force to lift the lock mechanism (most take more than that, but I am going to give this the benefit of the doubt). Since the area of the lock is around 0.5 square inches, that means that you have to apply 4 psi of air to the interior of the door to push up with 2 pounds of force (4 psi x 0.5 in2 = 2 lbf). Making the assumption that the door is air tight (if you have looked at the inside of a door, you will see that this is completely wrong, but I am giving it the best chance that it has), the interior volume of a door is around 4 cubic feet (or roughly 7,000 cubic inches). So, you would need to raise the pressure inside the car door from 14.7 psia (normal atmospheric pressure, as measured in absolute pressure) up to a minimum of 18.7 psia. This would take something with a 1900 cubic inch volume (or roughly 12.5" x 12.5" x 12.5", or something bigger than a basketball). This is best case. Keep in mind that you are having to push this though that little key hole in a very short period of time to minimize air losses. in short, the pressure needed to do this is far more than what you can generate.

If you make the assumption that the air is somehow causing the tumbler to move and magically hit the right points to allow things to move, I could possibly give you that. But, this is where that falls flat. This is assuming that the air pressure is being applied unevenly and can somehow move all the internal parts of a door lock to the correct place and then at that same moment, cause the internals to twist in the correct direction to flip the lock mechanism. Good luck on lining up the stars on that one.

Just saying............

Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts
Old 05-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The doors are not air tight, plus the lock mechanism are connected with many rods and lock solenoid to push and pull, the air in the tennis ball can not push it up like that.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:00 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Mr Thermo. Are you saying that you don't think it will work?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I do not think this will work on the X Type. Double locking requires a remote or key. When double locked you cannot open doors from inside.

Roger

Old 05-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

DUNKS, *puff puff pass* Dude, sure it will. Just have to have a little bit of faith. LMAO.

Like the Mythbusters found out, it only works one way. I don't want to spoil the video.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Default LOCKS

Originally Posted by Thermo
DUNKS, *puff puff pass* Dude, sure it will. Just have to have a little bit of faith. LMAO.

Like the Mythbusters found out, it only works one way. I don't want to spoil the video.
Cruel man!!

Old 05-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

DUNKS, granted, I have a much better way of opening the door. Unfortunately my way can only be done one time. Something about a pound of C4 wrapped neatly around the edge of the door. You can get away with only about 8 ounces, but then you have to use a shaped charge to get the needed effect. Gotta love working with the security guys. The things you learn that makes life much more interesting.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts

Geez Louise, Thermo. Posted that for some giggles & you go all Mr. Wizard (yeah, I'm that old) on me. You HAVE to be an engineer, lmao!!

Old 05-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Default C4

Thermo. Reminds me of the .IS. Training officer demonstrating a suicide bomb.

"now watch carefully cos I'm only doing this once"

Better go now before this thread gets silly.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

Dell, ironically, I am not an engineer. Just a "lowly tech" that has had to school some engineers in my day. My job requires me to know a bit about everything. Mix in some general curiosity about things and a willingness to learn, the world is a fruit basket waiting to be picked clean. What can I say, I love to learn about things and add it in with the other stuff I have learned to really find some interesting ways to do things. Toss in some general curiosity and oh lord can you have some fun.

DUNKS, you are talking to the guy that has climbed inside of a nuclear ballistic missile and also had to learn how they make nuclear bombs. The vests are too small of a boom for me. If I yell duck, don't be asking "where"? He he he he he he. Ever seen a water gun that uses 3000 psi air to shoot the water? I have. All you see is a little silver dot flying at you (right before it hits you and knocks you off your feet). Oh the days of being on the submarine.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:12 AM
Default SUBS

Hi Thermo.
I fear ye not! Spent my twelve years in the ROYAL NAVY on Battle class sub chasing destroyers. OH to see those depth charges fly. Not to mention the hedgehog!
HMS Hogue, Finisterre, and Myngs. Real ships!
Twas a while ago.