X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsettling Experience at Local Dealership - Word of Caution to Others

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What did you do to fix it, I have the same problem with mind, but dont want to buy new lamps. Can you take a picture and show what you did.

Originally Posted by Andahaion
Most of you are likely already familiar with issues contained in this post, but for folks not "in the know" I hope they can take something away from my recent experience.

I love my car. I want to do right by it and have it checked out by actual Jaguar technicians when I'm unable to address the issue. Jaguar owners can appreciate when I say that not many shops are familiar with, or will actually work on this particular brand. For many car owners it's important to them to have a relationship with their mechanic, a trusting relationship. It helps customers feel like they're not being taken advantage of, or being misled and charged for work that is unnecessary. It also feels good to know that your car is being cared for by people specially trained to work on it. It's darn near a sense of pride for me. I'm fortunate to drive an uncommon car and I enjoy taking good care of it.

This last weekend, I took my car in for an oil change and VA safety inspection at a local dealership. Many of you will cringe that I took in my car to be inspected at a dealership. You're probably thinking, "of course they're going to find some problems". After the inspection the boy at the counter says that there is a problem with my headlights. He says that the headlights are not level and pose a safety concern. I said ok, and asked if they tried adjusting them with the manual adjusters on each headlight assembly. He says yes, but the adjusters are both broken. He quoted me a repair of $1500 for two new headlight assemblies.

Not quite the outcome I was expecting at 10am on a Saturday. Knowing this is an issue on our cars, I told him to hold off and I would look at them myself. They failed my inspection and I drove home. When I got home I took out my tools, opened the hood (bonnet, for you Jag purists) and in about 10 minutes had successfully adjusted the level of the headlight beams. Nothing was broken. I took the car down the road to a local shop for another inspection where it passed.

Now, I really do believe in the goodness of people. Maybe it's a fault, maybe not. One of two things happened that day; 1) they outright lied to me, or 2) the technician was too darn lazy to actually check the adjustment mechanism. Either way, there's absolutely no way the customer should have been given a bill for $1500 for a repair that was completely unnecessary.

I'm so very disappointed in this shop. I've taken my car to them for service before and really do want to have a good relationship, but this last experience did some permanent damage.

In the end, it all turned out well. Thanks to this forum, I was aware of the adjuster issue and didn't freak out too much when I was quoted the $1500.

My intention isn't to pick on the dealership. That just happened to be my experience. Second opinions are a good thing, please do your due diligence.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM

I don't think Tysons did anything wrong. I think people are making a mountain out of a mole. The headlamps were wobbling correct. I'm pretty sure they were. The problem is, that you were expecting them to overhaul them, like you did. Dealerships don't repair, or overhaul lamp assemblies. That's were people get confused. I see people on here JB Welded and putting screws and all these ghetto repairs. The dealership will not do that. The dealership did not do anything wrong, plane and simple by telling you to replace the lamps. Car manufactures make profits off parts, not overhauling. That's the way it works.

I'd love to contact someone, either at the dealership or at corporate Jaguar, if I felt it'd make a difference/impact. I did leave a negative review on Yelp (my first ever review) which contained a few other issues that I did not include in my original post. The staff, in particular, are quite unprofessional. At any length, I'm not sure what good it would do to contact a supervisor. It seems the culture of that place is just what it is, bad.

Maybe someone on this forum could point me in a direction so that my issue is given consideration and might result in some good for future customers?

Oh, and I was quite hot when I realized what had happened. I let the expletives fly, baby.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by jaglover922
I don't think Tysons did anything wrong. I think people are making a mountain out of a mole. The headlamps were wobbling correct. I'm pretty sure they were. The problem is, that you were expecting them to overhaul them, like you did. Dealerships don't repair, or overhaul lamp assemblies. That's were people get confused. I see people on here JB Welded and putting screws and all these ghetto repairs. The dealership will not do that. The dealership did not do anything wrong, plane and simple by telling you to replace the lamps. Car manufactures make profits off parts, not overhauling. That's the way it works.
In the OP he says he "had them adjusted in 10 minutes" using his own tools because "nothing was broken." I don't think he did any "ghetto repairs" or "overhaul" them, he simply adjusted the mechanism, which was not "broken" as the dealership had told him. They either lied to him or did not know how to adjust the mechanism.

I had a similar experience with my F-150. Back-lights to the odometer went out and the dealership told me I needed a new instrument cluster, big, big $. I did some research on the web and found it was a common problem/misconception by the dealers. It was simply some burned out bulbs that they thought were part of the LCD display and non-repairable. 30 minutes and a couple of bulbs and it was fixed.

The same dealership told me my wife's F-150 (yes, she drives one too) needed a new throttle body due to start and stall issues when cold. ($800+) All it needed was a new battery. ($100)
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 02-11-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default parts cost

As to dealer charges , the local Dealer here wanted $13.40 each for the water pump bolt on a 2001 XJR . i thought that a bit much and doubt I will be using that Dealer for service.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What did you do to fix it, I have the same problem with mind, but dont want to buy new lamps. Can you take a picture and show what you did.
Jaglover,
I didn't fix it. The whole point of the post was that they were never broken as the dealer claimed. I drove home, got a screwdriver, and adjusted them myself. I know there are other posts on this forum that explain how others have used JB Weld, or have purchased the adjusters made of metal (I think) off of a seller on ebay. Do a search and these posts should come up. Best of luck.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vector
In the OP he says he "had them adjusted in 10 minutes" using his own tools because "nothing was broken." I don't think he did any "ghetto repairs" or "overhaul" them, he simply adjusted the mechanism, which was not "broken" as the dealership had told him. They either lied to him or did not know how to adjust the mechanism.

I had a similar experience with my F-150. Back-lights to the odometer went out and the dealership told me I needed a new instrument cluster, big, big $. I did some research on the web and found it was a common problem/misconception by the dealers. It was simply some burned out bulbs that they thought were part of the LCD display and non-repairable. 30 minutes and a couple of bulbs and it was fixed.

The same dealership told me my wife's F-150 (yes, she drives one too) needed a new throttle body due to start and stall issues when cold. ($800+) All it needed was a new battery. ($100)
Vector
Yes, this is spot on. The purpose of my post is to get people to do their due diligence when taking their car into a shop. In my case, the adjusters were not malfunctioning/broken as the dealer claimed. I used a screwdriver and adjusted them in about 10 minutes. Have not had an issue since.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have become leery of my local Jaguar dealer. I purchased the car with 56K miles on it and took it to the dealer to get a new key and key fob (free of charge from the seller a Mercedes dealer). When they looked at the car there were no problems and they said I wasn’t due for an oil change till 60K. I took it back at 60K and suddenly they had a laundry list of issues with the car. Leak in the AC compressor $1400 to replace compressor, leak from the overflow bottle $450 to replace, leak from the oil pan gasket $1600 to replace and all of them were safety or comfort issues that needed to be addressed immediately. Problem was I had just replaced the overflow bottle a 2 weeks before. It started leaking because someone had left the clamp facing up and it broke the right rear nipple off. Thanks to the forum I knew just how to fix it and $75 for a new bottle and 5 minutes time and it was fixed. No fluid was leaking, but there was a dry stain where it had leaked. Now regarding the oil leaks, I park every night in my garage on a clean piece of cardboard. I’ve looked and looked, run the engine over it and looked some more and not one drop of oil anywhere. Maybe the big cat is just scared of me and won't leak in my presence, but suddenly I don’t trust the dealer anymore and have started looking elsewhere for a mechanic I trust. Too bad my truck mechanic doesn't work on them.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Why would you waist your time going back to the dealer? You addressed the problem, so why would you be childesh and go back to the dealer just to be made of fool of. You know I never understand why people rant on here about dealer costs. You know the ones that have not spent a dime at the dealers service departments, but then turn around and complain about the cost of repairs as if they had spent the money. I dont know.

Originally Posted by Green Machine
Personally I do all my maintenance myself on both of my Jags. So far this has worked out OK for me. The only time I had one to a dealer was just after buying the X-Type and I took it in just for a checkup. Since it was driving great and I had a complete maintenance record since it left the factory I didn't expect too much to be wrong. Well I knew I needed a new battery because the original had a leak. They came up with a fairly long and very expensive list of things they said were wrong and should be fixed soon. The battery had leaked on the wiring harness for the transmission and they said the transmission needed to be replaced $3700+. They also said the rear brakes needed to be done $525+. They oil pan was leaking $2100+. All this plus other odds and ends to complete the work the total was $6000+/-. I only had them replace the battery since it was leaking, that and the checkup came to over $300.
I haven't replaced the transmission since there never was any thing wrong with it. The problem was the wiring harness connection under the battery and I just cleaned it up with baking soda and water, dried it off and sprayed it with clear lacquer then covered it with a good coating of clear silicone. I also haven't done anything with the oil pan other than cleaning around it and wiping some sealer on the gasket area. It's not a real leak mostly a seepage and only a few drops ever show up on garage floor once in a while, some well placed kitty litter takes care of that. The rear brakes I did myself for $95.
I still use this dealer for some small inexpensive parts as their parts department isn't that bad but the service department seems to be like a separate company.
Oh ya, my left side auto leveling mechanics quit working but I was able to manually adjust it the right one still does the auto thing. So i'm satisfied with it just makes the left one stationary like most other cars.
If I would have been you after I did the manual adjustment and passed inspection I would have gone back to that dealer for a followup inspection just for the head lights. Just to see what they would say the second time.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM

I wasn't refering to ghetto repairs made by him. I was refering to ghetto repairs made by other people on other posts. I have a feeling that the lamp, which has more then one adjuster, had at least one broken adjuster and he either is not a aware that there is more then one and got lucky and adjusted the adjuster that wasn't broken. Either way my point is, I always give people the benefit of the doubt. The problem I have is when people take there car in for service for a concern, and the service person tells them whats wrong, and then the customer says "Well I don't believe that to be true." Why did you go there in the first place? It's pretty much insulting. Ghetto repairs to a Jaguar are pretty insulting for a Brand of Prestige.

Vector

Old 02-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

To the Op +1

I understand where your coming from, another thing to add would be to check your car out, scratches , headlights are functional, noises, etc. BEFORE leaving the premises.

One time I was picking up the X-Type from a warranty repair and noticed a huge dent with a chip n the middle of the hood. I knew the car didn't have the dent when i dropped it off after i just detailed it myself. Long story short, mechanic came out and admitted to a semi-truck "kicking up some rocks" on the highway, but didn't know it actually hit the car.

I thought he would have heard it, let alone saw it, but the service manager took the blame and drove it to get a respray of the whole hood and blending. I was mad for a second, but when they offered to repair it without question, I was satisfied.

I know it may seem rude to the dealer or awkward, but I open the hood, check the interior, exterior, before I sign away at the paperwork. I learned my lesson once and never again will I just blindly sign and drive away.

The following users liked this post:
Andahaion (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

Why would you waist your time going back to the dealer? You addressed the problem, so why would you be childesh and go back to the dealer just to be made of fool of. You know I never understand why people rant on here about dealer costs. You know the ones that have not spent a dime at the dealers service departments, but then turn around and complain about the cost of repairs as if they had spent the money. I dont know.
You missed my point. I never said I planned to use this dealer for any future work on the car and I only use their parts department when I wanted something quick and they were asking a reasonable price for the part. I was only posting my experience with this one dealer and not as you say ranting and raving. We are not all lucky enough to have a choice of dealerships close at hand to pick from, this one is 50 miles away and is the closest one to me. For most of my repairs I buy parts online and use sources that offer free shipping to save even more money. As for being childish, this child is 74 years old with 60 years of automotive repair experience and I'm no fool either. If you had taken the time to read back in some of my older posts you would have seen that the this was the only time I had the Jag at a dealership and it was within a couple of months after I bought it. Also I did not take it in for repairs but only for them to check it over to see if there were any problems that I should be worried about. Thanks for making my day interesting. ;o)

Last edited by Green Machine; 02-16-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,978 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by fabfive
To the Op +1

I understand where your coming from, another thing to add would be to check your car out, scratches , headlights are functional, noises, etc. BEFORE leaving the premises.

Right! In a really well run shop the service advisor will do a "walk around" with the customer. One of the reasons for this is to note prior damage (or lack of damage) right up front. If they don't do a walk-around as SOP, ask them to. This needn't be adversarial and there's no reason for the dealer/shop/mechanic to object.

This protects both the shop and the customer equally.

I can say that customers can be equally big liars as dealers in this regard. *Some* are very opportunistic and shameless.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Andahaion (02-16-2013), JimC64 (02-17-2013), xjrguy (02-19-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

You know I never understand why people rant on here about dealer costs. You know the ones that have not spent a dime at the dealers service departments, but then turn around and complain about the cost of repairs as if they had spent the money. I dont know.

Complaining about cost is one thing. Complaining about unnecessary parts replacements is quite another. Either way, you don't have to pay first before complaining :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

I wasn't refering to ghetto repairs made by him. I was refering to ghetto repairs made by other people on other posts. I have a feeling that the lamp, which has more then one adjuster, had at least one broken adjuster and he either is not a aware that there is more then one and got lucky and adjusted the adjuster that wasn't broken. Either way my point is, I always give people the benefit of the doubt. The problem I have is when people take there car in for service for a concern, and the service person tells them whats wrong, and then the customer says "Well I don't believe that to be true." Why did you go there in the first place? It's pretty much insulting. Ghetto repairs to a Jaguar are pretty insulting for a Brand of Prestige.
I think you may be insulting the OP there, he said nothing was broken.

May I very respectfully suggest that you give up your defense of dealer service
departments in this thread.

You seem to be grasping at straws to justify what all of us see as a clear error on the part of the dealer.
Vector

Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I think you may be insulting the OP there, he said nothing was broken.

May I very respectfully suggest that you give up your defense of dealer service
departments in this thread.

You seem to be grasping at straws to justify what all of us see as a clear error on the part of the dealer.
Vector

I spent 30+ in dealership service and parts departments...23 of them in management positions. I happy to defend (or at least provide an alternate perspective) dealers and repair shops when the situation calls for it.

But.....

Recommending that a non-broken headlight assembly be replaced was either a very unprofessional mistake or an attempted rip-off.

IMHO, it's hard to justify defending either one.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default My Two Cents

Okay, so after reading all the posts here I wanted to say my two cents.
Jaguars' are just cars. All gas engines work basically the same, all automatic transmissions work basically the same. True, with the invent of more and more computer control modules in our cars it makes them harder to work on (mainly because of the cost of the machine to talk with the computer), but they're just cars. If you don't like what the dealership charges, hell pick up a book and read. I've got all my information on my "X" by buying a CD with manuals on it, $6 dollars. If anyone has questions on how you do anything, I will look t up and send it to you, cause I'm that awesome!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Justicejamesb
Okay, so after reading all the posts here I wanted to say my two cents.
Jaguars' are just cars. All gas engines work basically the same, all automatic transmissions work basically the same. True, with the invent of more and more computer control modules in our cars it makes them harder to work on (mainly because of the cost of the machine to talk with the computer), but they're just cars. If you don't like what the dealership charges, hell pick up a book and read. I've got all my information on my "X" by buying a CD with manuals on it, $6 dollars. If anyone has questions on how you do anything, I will look t up and send it to you, cause I'm that awesome!
Thank you for your 2 cents. I'll just add this:

1) Thank you for your offer to help out others on this forum. There are many other kind gents who make this offer and it really speaks to the quality and value of being a member here.
2) I have picked up a book and read. It is exactly because I've read the info on this forum that I was aware of the potential for the adjusters to be broken.
3) I've never claimed in my posts on this thread that money was ever an issue. I really don't care if the cost was $1500 or $150. I like working on my car when I have time. The only issue I had is in the apparent out right lie or lack of professionalism I expect as a consumer. There was nothing, and continues to be nothing wrong with them. They adjust just as they should. My hope is that this experience encourages members here to due their diligence andread the wealth of info on this forum. That way they learn and can be informed when faced with a experience like I was.

That's all. It was never about what dealers charge or anything related to the cost. Hope that's finally made clear. Thanks again for your 2 cents.

The following users liked this post:
Justicejamesb (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in the same area as the OP. The 2 dealers close to me are Chantilly (I work in Reston, VA) and Tyson's - I live near Tyson's Corner. I've taken my car to both and what I've come to realize is that it really comes down to the technician. Both probably have good and not so good guys on their staff. Both are owned by the same company.

I also tried an independent shop called Topline Jaguar.

Overall I've found that Chantilly tends to recommend the most expensive repairs. Tyson's does the best work but they also tend to be expensive. Surprisingly, Topline quoted me the same as the regular dealer for replacing leaking struts and even suggested I replace my prop shaft for $700!

My approach is to get multiple diagnosis for expensive suggested repairs. In my case I find that Tyson's is the most competitive in terms of cost and quality of work. Perhaps I am just lucky with the technicians I have worked with there. At Chantilly almost every repair they did - from replacing a door lock to fuel pump had to be redone. They did a few other shoddy work as well. But on the positive side, they'll agree to do anything!!!!

Last edited by aluni2230; 05-18-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: some more context.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

For the past 15 or so years I've driven older European cars. Volvos, Beemers, and now my 02 X Type. I've always given the advise... Find a Jag guy, or a Volvo guy in your area. I use 'All Jaguar' in Longwood Fl. They are a a small family owned place that will fix 'what needs to be fixed' at a reasonable price. They also get parts at cost.

Never, I mean never go to a Jag dealer unless you are still under warranty, or your best mate is the manager!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for your 2 cents. I'll just add this:

1) Thank you for your offer to help out others on this forum. There are many other kind gents who make this offer and it really speaks to the quality and value of being a member here.
2) I have picked up a book and read. It is exactly because I've read the info on this forum that I was aware of the potential for the adjusters to be broken.
3) I've never claimed in my posts on this thread that money was ever an issue. I really don't care if the cost was $1500 or $150. I like working on my car when I have time. The only issue I had is in the apparent out right lie or lack of professionalism I expect as a consumer. There was nothing, and continues to be nothing wrong with them. They adjust just as they should. My hope is that this experience encourages members here to due their diligence andread the wealth of info on this forum. That way they learn and can be informed when faced with a experience like I was.

That's all. It was never about what dealers charge or anything related to the cost. Hope that's finally made clear. Thanks again for your 2 cents.
Nicely put. Like I said, there are good and bad technicians. I think if you bring this up with the dealer they'll know - ask them who the technician was who worked on your car. Their diagnosis was wrong. It happens in all professionals. Sometimes it's just pure incompetence and sometimes it is negligence. It's hard to know what was the issue here, but you should definitely let your service advisor know your experience.

Quick Reply: Unsettling Experience at Local Dealership - Word of Caution to Others