X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Radiator Hose Assy Tee & 3" Hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 05:15 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Upper Radiator Hose Assy Tee & 3" Hose

Looks like the split on the plastic tee holding the thermostat housing assy finally got me. Noticed a few drops of antifreeze. Rats. Cat is a 2004.5 X-Type Sport with 113k miles.

Top of tee has a tiny crack. Imagine that. Got the new upper radiator hose assy in. Even has a thermostat. Got the two 13mm nuts off. Having a heck of a time pulling the assy off the nuts- I can't. Will attack tomorrow when I'm in old clothes. Spousal unit gets upset when I do stuff wearing good clothes. You'd think after 48 years she'd know me by now. Antifreeze washes out, right?

They say if you can't raise the bridge, lower the river.... Not sure how easy it would be to raise the engine maybe an inch or roll it 'backwards' like can be done on some engines. The other thing would be removing what's in the way, preventing the thermostat assy from lifting out/off/whatever. Any suggestions?

The other thing is a part number/name for the 3" hose connecting the bottom of the thermostat assy to a metal pipe. Back in 2006, this sucker blew off on me. Was a super hot day 120 miles from home, stuck in traffic. Realized it immediately & drove onto the grass. The fix? Walked a block to Walmart & get jug of antifreeze, distilled water & a couple worm clamps. State Police were too busy to bother me. Wait a sec. Believe there's was a TSB- gotta look.

Found it: http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2...se%20Clamp.pdf So it's the oil cooler output hose.

Okay, anyone know where might I find just the 3" hose that connects to the thermostat housing? The entire oil cooler output hose assy is too expensive. Have no problem making my own. BTW, the 3" hose is okay. But I'm superstitious being it got me once. This one of those things I only wanna do once- like replacing the fuel pump...

Car is 17 years old. Two O2 replaced for burned out heaters. Could have simple fooled the computer, but then I'd be like VW... Replacing the fuel pump was fun- not. Can read all about it on previous posts.

While I was at it, thanks to Thermo, changed the auto transmission, rear, & transfer case fluids. Only thing I need to do is drive it more. In 2003 was spoiled driving my first rental X-Type on the German Autobahn at ~125 mph. Was just a 2.0 liter. What an experience. Got to appreciate all the features we can't enjoy in the states at 65 mph.

Figured I'd get other's opinions/experiences. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Backhertz; 10-09-2022 at 05:16 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-09-2022, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts
Old 10-10-2022, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, the cooling system diagram link doesn't show the hose connecting to the thermostat assy hose. Found a diagram (below) showing what I believe is the hose in question. Found the same diagram on a couple sites, but no part number. However, did find a 2 hose kit, p/n C2S30225K- see below. What to do?

Got out the caliper. Thermostat hose tube is 1.453" O.D. 4" piece is of 1.5" I.D. radiator hose is $10.61 on Amazon. Will have it tomorrow...or...$6.39 from Autozone & will have it today. Decisions, decisions....

Attacking the problem today. Might try removing the cooling fan assembly. Should provide enough clearance to pull the thermostat assy part (item 11) over the two studs.

Here's the TSB for the extra hose clamp. Years ago on another Jaguar forum several members sustained severe engine damage as a result of the 3" hose popping off.

This TSB also applies to 2004 models- perhaps all of them. Mine only had a single clamp & the hose blew off.

Here's the illustrated parts breakdown showing what I believe is the 3" hose circled in red:

Kit found at O'Reilly's, but out of stock. All I need to know is the hose size.

Only $68.99... Reminds me of the time I needed a small part from a junkyard. The owner was usually drunk by noon. He took one look at it & said $20. I said $20??!! His response? "Ever try to make one?" So I paid him.

Last edited by Backhertz; 10-10-2022 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Added text.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:39 PM
Default Upper Radiator Hose Assy Tee & 3" Hose Epilog

Mission accomplished. Removing the thermostat assembly is simple if you know the "trick".

First do the prep work- i.e. remove battery, battery tray, & air cleaner. Be sure to have a pan to catch the antifreeze (about a gallon leaks out-didn't bother to drain the radiator).

Remove the 2 front bolts on the hood latch & pull the air snorkel out as far as it will go. Remove the hoses & thermostat off the thermostat tee.

Remove both 13mm nuts securing the tee to the block. The left nut can be removed from above; the right nut from below.

The trick? First pull the tee assy off the right stud. Then off the left stud. Turn it 90 degrees & lift out. Otherwise you'll start talking to yourself.

The 3" hose is part of the oil cooler hose. A new oil cooler assy hose is like $175. Found an O'Reilly URO Parts listing for both oil cooler rubber hoses & 4 clamps for $68.99.

Am a member of the 3 F club (form, fit, function) Ended up getting a 1.5" I.D., 4" long universal hose off Amazon for $10.61. Cut it down to 3.25". Autozone by me had the same hose- actually no. Too short.

The new upper radiator hose assy was $95.99 + tax off Amazon. Includes a new thermostat.

Time to install the new upper radiator hose assy? About an hour. Good thing was finding the battery vent hose crimped- need to replace it. Every 6-7 years get a DSC Fault message when it starts getting a little cold. Goes away once the car starts up. Learned this is the car telling me to replace the battery.