Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Instrument cluster CAN bus comm

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 01:34 PM
Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Used Instrument cluster CAN bus comm

Hi all,
Right to it: 2003 2.5 X400. Instrument cluster went bad, speedo reading all over the place, few idiot lights coming on when switched to position 2 without start. Eventually lost ability to start car and key transponders no longer registering as 'the key' on console light. Using SDD v131.00 v.116 with Drewtech mongoose to diagnose for sure. No comm with instrument cluster but also no comm with ECM (or ECU depending on what screen I was in), sporadic comm fail with GEM also. Through investigating schematics and other posts I figured ECM comm fail was symptom of instrument cluster fail. I also confirmed starter ok by jumping leads with screw driver. Many times cleared memory with neg bat cable. Checked chassis and engine grounds, battery voltage 13.7 at ign off. Obtained used cluster, cleared memory, plugged used instrument cluster and immediately heard it come 'alive' even with key at position 0. I reprogrammed key transponders to new cluster successfully. Expected to hear engine come to life, but no. SDD now shows comm error with cluster and ECM, possibly due to non matching VINs. Reread SDD manual, figure i need to change VIN (as well as odo as used is 50k less than actual...gotta be truthful) in instrument cluster using 'engineer mode', buy a OBD365 seed password decoder with 100 use subscription. I am able to use it online with SDD as long as I keep PC sys date at 8-1-12. Here's where I get lost on what to do next. Install 'new' instrument cluster module? Don't wanna mess it up more and still have 97 tries on seed password calculator.

This car we sold our Granddaughter and she's now driving my XJR while I'm putting more miles than I want on XKR. If course wife's Chy 300C is in shop getting rebuilt NAG1 trans put in ($$$!). So weve gone from 2 dailys and a ragtop to just the ragtop for the last month.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bil

Old 07-23-2020, 02:16 PM
Received 8,218 Likes on 4,955 Posts

Info for you.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1-186 VID block.pdf (198.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: pdf
SDD BEST PRACTICE.pdf (87.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

provided you fitted a petrol console to a petrol car the vin number matching is not a problem, check the twisted yellow green wires from both plugs on the back of the consol.

I've run the ecu+consol+gem on a bench to program key fobs so providing the yekko green twisted pairs are connected the SDD software will talk to the units

Old 07-24-2020, 09:14 AM

Old IP has bery little to no comm. Here is my plan for review before I start:
  1. Remove used IP
  2. Clear vehicle memory
  3. Start new SDD session
  4. Verify ECM comm thru SDD module info data gathering
  5. With key at pos 2 plug used IP in
  6. Go to Comfigure New IP
  7. Recollect vehicle module data
  8. Verify IP found and comm ok
  9. Reprogram transponders if needed
  10. Start and get my XJR back!
If this fails I'll investigate ECM "restore" more. I understand ASCI but it's been 25 years since I've done anything like shown in block editor.

Please let me know if plan A sounds reasonable.

thanks

Old 07-29-2020, 11:24 AM

After many attempts I am still not able to get ECM back. I've tried to configure as existing module and as new making sure to have 13.7v from multimeter hooked to cables not battery posts. Here are some of the screen shots;

I am not sure where this file would be on my hard drive, but it failed to reset ecm.

I continually received this until SDD must have hit a retry limit and it came back saying configuring failed, even tho ign was in pos2. I shut ign off, plugged in the 'good' used IP and the message went away on next attempt but still failed ecm configure.

I got what i would consider the blue screen of death a few times after ecm config failure and had to abort and hard boot laptop to cure.

In reading control mod data all other modules contained either short or long VIN, which from my understanding after reading the Best Practices guide it should've rebuilt ECM from those other modules.

All exported session data contain corrupted VIN/ECM data so I can't open an old session and recover. I don't know what to do. Is there a way to manually get into the VID block and type in the missing VIN?

thanks