Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want an x type? Expect repairs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default about AWD

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Stu, as he said he had a car without a viscous coupling nor DSC, so basically an AWD that directs all torque to whichever wheel starts spinning first. Thus; useless in slippery conditions, worse than 2WD. Those units are fairly rare as Jaguar eventually (but not immediately) realized that removing the VC made it necessary for DSC to be made standard equipment.
Thanks to fellow countryman Aonsaithya. Thatīs exactly what I meanīt..

My mistake was that I didnīt do enough digging about 04 model AWD before buying it. I have quite a lot experience from different AWD systems from different brands. I believe that thereīs nothing wrong with VC or DSC versions, but without either of them the system is seriously flawed. Well, thatīs just my opinion.

XF with AWD could be nice.. Maybe someday..

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2003 X-Type bought March (almost a year ago) with 68K miles.

Car now has 106K miles on it. Daily driver.

Repairs.

2 ETC O rings at $5 a peice + shipping). Installed myself in under a half-hour.

4 new tires and an alignment.

And an electronic code scanner/reader that I can use on all my cars - $109.

And......that's about it, (other than oil changes)......

So, I dunno.....seems pretty reliable and low cost to me so far.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

If I took my car to a the dealer or a mechanic there would be no way I could afford it. In the few months of owning my X-Type I've probably done $2000+ worth of maintenance and tune-ups for about $300 and the the good thing is when you do it yourself you can use the best oils, fluids, and parts for just a little more.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 02-02-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Gentlemen,
Please allow me to cool the air, I apologise to Repkim here, resolutely!

I took umbrage to the "useless" tag and am still of the same opinion, however "any car" can have glitches, sometimes I think it's down to your luck at the end of the day, but Repkim, I did over-react and hope you were not offended.

Thank you Aonsaithya for troubleshooting and I am not out to alienate anyone here, we are here for the same reasons usually and I sympathise with your choice of that particular model, you were unlucky and it disappoints me that jaguar didn't seem to do more at the time to approach the situation better in my view!

To reitorate my point in my previous post, I should have said "any other vehicle would probably not have done what my 2005 2.5 did at the time".
Having said that I believe we all have to "learn" how to appreciate different vehicles and I for one have been quick to judge a vehicle instead of looking at how I drive it?

The one good thing on this forum is when there is a disagreement the bottom line is its your car so it's your opinion that counts!

Keep it up Guys, it's all worthy and Repkim, I hope you come back to Jaguar one day, I do know what you are missing, Enjoy your drive!! Plus respect to all!!

regards, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 02-02-2014 at 02:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart Beattie:
Aonsaithya (02-02-2014), Repkim (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put 6,000 miles on my car driving it all over the state with 0 issues. Now I ran into a slow coolant leak somewhere I'm working on tracing down. But once that's fixed I don't see any future issues coming up soon.
I do however have Pads, Rotors, Oil and filter ready to go in right now too. But that's just regular maintenance.

Stuart Beattie (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aluni2230
Mine is an 07 with around 48k miles now:

1. Ac condenser - $1k
2. Upper and lower control arm - 2 times @600 each
3. Fuel pumps - $1.5K
4. Door lock - $1k
5. Center console light - $800
6. Brakes - $300 or so...

All in all. It seems I spend around 2-3K each year for the past 3 years. I still like the car though. It drives very smooth and is generally in excellent condition.
You're being mugged but you just don't know it.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Got my jag back today! Runs great so far!

Here is the touchscreen display I had put in

Attached Thumbnails Want an x type? Expect repairs!-image-2306290091.jpg  
Stuart Beattie (02-17-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Some of mine below for comparison. The one thing I where could've most certainly saved money was the brake caliper; should've bought it online and just paid for the fitting; would've $200.

Attached Thumbnails Want an x type? Expect repairs!-somecosts.png  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bracester
In my case I would disagree...

My Repairs:

Thermostat - $150 (Did it myself)

Preventative Maintenance (All done myself):

Brakes and Rotors - $300
Plugs and Intake Seals - $100
Coolant Swap for Dexcool - $80

So I feel the X-Type has been one of the lowest maintenance cars I have owned...
I'm planning to switch my coolant as we'll to dexcool - how did u do your own flush ?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by magicjuan17
I'm planning to switch my coolant as we'll to dexcool - how did u do your own flush ?
Basically I let the system get warm with the heater on full blast, shut off the car, drained, heated it up again (doesnt take long the 2nd time), drained, more distilled water, kept doing that until drain was clear, then added dexcool, same process until it was dexcool color..been running fine ever since and now my shop I have my oil changes done can now top it off since it is now something they carry instead of jag special type

Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

My X-type needed exactly all those repairs you listed up top, but I saved alot of money doing it myself. I am no mechanic, but with the help of this forums, I was able to get it done.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_H
You're being mugged but you just don't know it.
Yeah. I am aware. My wife loves the car though and the car is as close to perfect inside and out as possible.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...I'm wondering how many of the repairs you guys have done were really NECESSARY repairs. My 2002 has 115K miles now and the only major repairs it has needed were several issues with the cooling system that were luckily covered under certified pre-owned warranty at the time. Which is lucky since I was on a cross country road trip at the time.

Seriously though, my car has the engine light on, the engine fan never stops running, the A/C vent door motor doesn't work (so I change manually summer=cold / winter=hot), there seems to be a short with the fog lights, the parking break doesn't work, the steering wheel shakes at speed, the windshield washer nozzles are bust, and I get pretty measly gas mileage.

Yet with all of that, my car still starts instantly, shifts smoothly, looks nearly new inside and out after 10 years, and is as peppy and comfortable as ever. So in my opinion this car is extremely reliable outside of potential issues with the coolant system or the transmission which would disable your ability to drive. As I say to my wife, the beauty of a civic is that they run forever, they might not run very nicely, but they will putt-putt their way home day after day for decades.

From that viewpoint, this car has served dutifully for a solid 10 years and I feel it has much more to go. Even more if I repaired every little nuance. But I'll likely be ready for a new car by then so I'm still on the fence whether to put the money into the repairs or not.

As for the AWD system, I generally think it is worthless. Except this winter when a heavy snow fell I could've either taken our 2WD Equinox or my AWD Jag. Now that I have all-season tires on I figured mine was a better choice. And I was definitely right. I drove all over the place as if the road was clear and every single slip of the tires was completely expected and easy to control. I was able to drive at twice the speed than with the other car. I loved it.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Even though I'm at 168K miles, I can't even remember what the last thing I repaired was (it has been flawless that long). Still runs like a beast, great mpg (for an X-Type), and I can just jump in every day and commute to school knowing that it will not even give a single hiccup. I haven't come across any repair I haven't been able to do in my garage with some tools.

Honestly I have probably send at least 4X as much money in upgrades and frills than actual "repairs". And whenever something does need to be replaces parts are generally easy to find online, and are much cheaper than those in german cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by aCapiz:
nootherids (02-06-2014), Stuart Beattie (02-05-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz
Even though I'm at 168K miles, I can't even remember what the last thing I repaired was (it has been flawless that long). Still runs like a beast, great mpg (for an X-Type), and I can just jump in every day and commute to school knowing that it will not even give a single hiccup. I haven't come across any repair I haven't been able to do in my garage with some tools.

Honestly I have probably send at least 4X as much money in upgrades and frills than actual "repairs". And whenever something does need to be replaces parts are generally easy to find online, and are much cheaper than those in german cars.
Agree completely. Done more in upgrades or cosmetics than actual repairs.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say to the OP at 158K that is pretty cheap minor upkeep repairs. My Jaguar is the winter tank, runs great and has probably 115K on it.

Now, my other car is a 2006 BMW M5 with 507HP V10. It has 80K miles on it. Do not let me tell you what a brake job, oil change, or SMG repair will cost. Be happy!!!

Traded in my Porsche 911 for it. Over 3 years, the upkeep on that for a new clutch, IMS, diff rebuild under 70K miles.....10 grand.

Buy what you can afford, but save money for the upkeep and repairs.

Attached Thumbnails Want an x type? Expect repairs!-photo_zps516292e4.jpg   Want an x type? Expect repairs!-photo1_zpsdc9e1808.jpg  
Stuart Beattie (02-05-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster
I would say to the OP at 158K that is pretty cheap minor upkeep repairs. My Jaguar is the winter tank, runs great and has probably 115K on it. Now, my other car is a 2006 BMW M5 with 507HP V10. It has 80K miles on it. Do not let me tell you what a brake job, oil change, or SMG repair will cost. Be happy!!! Traded in my Porsche 911 for it. Over 3 years, the upkeep on that for a new clutch, IMS, diff rebuild under 70K miles.....10 grand. Buy what you can afford, but save money for the upkeep and repairs.
Yeah.. Most people don't buy luxury cars because they can't afford to maintain them. The 2006 Quattroporte was something I passed on because of the $6,000 clutch replacement every 20k miles...

Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aluni2230
Yeah. I am aware. My wife loves the car though and the car is as close to perfect inside and out as possible.
What I meant was, who is maintaining your car? If you're taking it to a dealer then you're having a $5k car maintained by a dealership that normally maintains $100k cars. The lawyers and doctors who own $100k cars aren't satisfied with anything less than a $1k invoice. Find yourself an independent mechanic who is prepared to fix it like the Ford it is.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes, and the dealership will do everything "by the book".

Case in point. I had a problem with my X-Type where the little metal flap on the lock didn't close leaving the lock open to the weather. The car was at the dealer for other warranty things and I asked them to look at it. You'd think that they would simply have tried spraying some WD-40 or graphite into the lock but no. They commissioned" a new lock assembly to be created back in England (there were no replacements in North America) and replaced the entire locking mechanism in the door. It took over 2 months for the part to be manufactured and shipped. It worked after that...

Bottom line, they won't "experiment" or try alternate repairs they will restore to new condition, period.

They don't want you coming back when their "fix" fails...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by moparcarlton
I put 6,000 miles on my car driving it all over the state with 0 issues. Now I ran into a slow coolant leak somewhere I'm working on tracing down. But once that's fixed I don't see any future issues coming up soon.
I do however have Pads, Rotors, Oil and filter ready to go in right now too. But that's just regular maintenance.
It may be leaking from water pump. I had that problem.

Quick Reply: Want an x type? Expect repairs!