X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in drivers footwell

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Water in drivers footwell

Here we are again, I recently had a new drivers side wing put on and the car resprayed. It looks the dogs, but the paint shop had all the guttering and water shields off, since then the monsoon season has started here, and Ive now got a puddle in the drivers footwell. Ive no idea where the water is coming in from and noticed the plastic shield at the bottom of the window screen on the drivers side has buckled slightly, there is standing water in the bulk head where the window screen wiper motor / air filter sit but there doesn't seem to be any way for the water to seep into the cockpit, and I'm not sure where it should drain away. Does anybody have any pictures or can describe how the window screen fitments should look / sit or any ideas where it could be coming in before I start to rip it apart? And where should the standing water drain to?

Old 10-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 670 Posts

Do you have a moon roof? If not read this TSB, might be applicable =

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...520Leakage.pdf

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:22 AM

Hi Dell, no moon roof, and its the opposite side to the filter, Im leading to think its something to do with the wing as when I got it back I Had to re route the window wash pipe as they hadn't fitted it correctly and it snagged when the bonnet /hood was closed. There is however standing water where the filter housing sits and I would have thought that should drain away somehow. Im going to attempt a strip back of carpet and see if I can find any clues shortly. Watch this space...

Old 10-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

You need to bear in mind our "driver's side" is opposite yours. Our cabin filter is on the right side. Unfortunately our electronics is right below that as well (ECM) thus causing problems if water goes down there. Sometimes it also floods the "passenger" side footwell.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hex,
Under the scuttle panel, in the bulkhead, there are drains on each side (holes).
These go down to a box section type drain which is half way down the rear side of the front arch, behind the arch splash guard.
The important thing here is the that this drain is rectangular, and on the diesels only they have fitted insulator pieces pushed in to this drain.
The chances are the insulator plugs have silt backed up behind them.
Undo the rear side of the front arch guards, and carefully pull out these insulator plugs, and if no water comes out carefully push a stiff wire up to release the silt.

Paul.

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

I knew I seen a video about this a long time ago (although for dripping and sill rusting problem). Having the fender replaced makes sense that they (the shop) very easily could have disrupted these "plugs" causing your new problem.
I'd be more inclined to make the shop fix it, but...

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:10 AM

Perfect, thanks guys. I ended up taking the driver seat and carpet out but couldn't find where the water was coming in from, so then pushed a wire coat hanger with a bit of tape on the end down the drain holes in the bulk head and low and behold a ton of water came out. I still dont know if that has fixed the problem because Ive no way of drying the carpet in the car, but I'm having some welding done on the sill tomorrow so will ask the mechanic to leave the carpet out as I'm putting some LED cabling down the inner sill sides any way and want to get some corrosive protection into the general area this week. Ive got a feeling the shop had the inner arches off as they have both come loose since I had it back and the type of "shop" up here usually causes more problems than they fix so I only use them for certain jobs and avoid if at all possible.

Fingers crossed its stopped the leaking now, great video Dell thanks mate.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Hi gentlemen and ladies
I hope you are all well and safe in the present climate. I'm brining this topic back up again as given the isolation time we have with the covid19 virus I'm taking full advantage to do the jobs on the X that ive been putting off, and currently waiting for parts to be delivered (2 weeks now). I still have this problem with water entering the car in the UK drivers side foot well and I cant find from where. I have removed the bags and bung under the wing and stripped the car out as much as I can without taking the dashboard apart but still cant find where this leak is coming in. This is where you guys might be able to help. I was wondering if one of you could take a picture of the UK drivers side, so US passenger, top inner wing where the bulkhead meets the inner wing and post or send it to me? My theory now is should the join be sealed in the corner to prevent water running through to the engine bay and along where the electronics enters the cockpit? I think water is running along that track and coming into the cockpit somewhere in the middle running down to the drivers footwell... Other than that any alternate ideas are welcome. Ive also managed to start installing the fibre light in the cockpit and will update on the appropriate thread but wondered if anybody had found a route to the doors without having to get pins in the connectors?