X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Water leak on passenger side

While finishing installation of a new android radio I notice the carpet wet on the passenger side. Looks like water collects on the soft molded panel under the fan behind the glove compartment and when the car moves the water spills out.
I did some testing and the water appears to come from the opening behind the cabin filter enclosure, although it could be other places as well. There appears to be a sticky gasket between the filter enclosure and the firewall but Jaguar does not seem to carry one and sells only the enclosure. A phone visit with Jag parts indicated that cleaning the existing one and applying a bead of silicon would probably seal the opening effectively as shown below.

You can see where the water appears to be entering the opening that connects the cabin filter enclosure to the firewall.

A better look of the opening with the cabin filter enclosure removed and most of the sticky stuff cleaned.

Opening on the back of the cabin filter enclosure with sticky gasket removed.

I will wait until the silicon is fully set and try to place some water and see if it fixed the problem.
The windshield was replaced several months ago but I don't believe it leaked at the time.
I noticed the cowl panel does not sit tight again the window and it is some what loose, particularly on the passenger side. The two foam blocks at the end seem worn but not really that badly and the rubber on the trim on the sides of the windshield is also dried up and cracking and probably need to be replaced...I wish Jaguar part were not so dang expensive.

I notice the cowl panel has a rib on the front that would appear to butt against the windshield but mine is mostly gone (red) with only one small piece left on the center (green) and I am wondering if this rib is need to keep the cowl panel tight and keep water away. There is also a rubber gasket on the front (yellow) that appears to be mostly missing but it does not seem to be critical. Looks like the hood bears against the front of the cowl panel and keeps it down.

I am wondering if anyone has replaced this rib with a glued on plastic angle of some sort? Would a bead of clear silicon at he edge of the panel where it bears against the windshield would help?

Keeping fingers crossed that that the leak was fixed.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Directed a pretty full hose stream on the windshield for several minutes and no more leak...at least none that I could see. This would be a good place to check if you get a leak on the passenger side.
I would still like to see if anyone has a comment on the cowl panel rib.
Also, any reasonable place where to buy the windshield sides trim and rubber blocks at the bottom of the trim? Dealer wants more for them than the cost of the windshield itself.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

This happened to me when I replaced the a/c air filter in my old X type. Clear silicone fixed the problem but it looked messy up close.

I would like to change the filter in my”new” X type but I don’t want to create a leak. Not sure what gets destroyed and leaks when the cowl is removed.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 PM

The cowl removals should not a affect the cabin filter enclosure at all since it is firmly attached to the firewall with two bolts. Actually, it would be good time to see if you have a leak there. Remove the cowl, and then remove the cabin air filter and spray water at the top of the enclosure where it meets the firewall and see if it leaks into the opening. If it does, remove the assembly (2 nuts), scrape off the gooey gasket off the assembly and firewall, apply a sealant (silicone) to both the assembly and firewall and reassemble. Hardest part is removing the wiper blade assemblies that are pretty tight and might need an extractor or a crowbar like I did, being careful not to damage the cowl. Easy 20-30 minutes job the first time and 10 minutes the second. Got the filter from O'Reilly for $10.

The following users liked this post:
epereira (10-27-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 02:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cabin Filter seals/ gaskets; left & right sides.

Schematic for X Type Cabin Filter

Part numbers for X Type Cabin Filter compartment seals

These images may help; the seals were on early models made of perishable foam, but later upgraded to rubber; an image shows you the part numbers. One marked "N/Side" refers to my right hand drive vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
epereira (10-27-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the info. Jaguar sure is very proud of these parts, close to $100 for both parts that cost probably a couple of dollar to produce. I might look for the newer rubber part at a salvage place; I would think that the rubber parts would be in good condition since they are newer.