X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump R&R-Size matters

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Water Pump R&R-Size matters

I have not seen a lot of coverage on the water pump for the X. It is pretty simple to replace, if you're good with turning wrenches. I made the mistake of stopping at PepBoys after work and picking up a $60.00 water pump on sale: reg $80.

I believe my existing water pump is stock-original. So it's old. However, I pulled it and I expected the fins to be worn down to nubs from pushing coolant thru the system for the last 11 years. Well, the fins are fine and they are bigger than the Bosch POS that I bought. Bigger fins push more water, no doubt.

I ended up inspecting my old water pump, cleaning the corrosion, and lubing up the spindle bearing, and re-installing it. A water pump is not a complicated device so it's a bit confusing that Bosch would sell such an inferior product. Below is a pic of the water pump and cam pulley removed.

The dealer quoted me $150 for the "real" water pump. I was also interested in replacing the 8 bolts that hold it in place. My existing bolts were discolored from heat and maybe even metal stretching and fatigue over the years as the held the pump in place. These are $5.50 ea from the dealer, but they are to spec. The pump has never leaked. I just figured it might need an update, living in AZ during summer, the temps are 105F +

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump R&R-Size matters-07b6db01-731c-4590-a6fe-7f27ff3989ef_zps9735139b.jpg   Water Pump R&R-Size matters-b4da41d3-6caa-4e60-82a5-49da7f8af928_zpsa6c2b375.jpg   Water Pump R&R-Size matters-img_20130618_205642_zpsa8f9ee39.jpg  

Last edited by Patterson; 07-11-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

One of my water pump bolts just snapped while I was tightening it down, thinking that might stop the leaking. So now the bolt is snapped off and stuck in there. It's the bottom right bolt on the water pump if you are looking at your picture. I just emailed jagbits but I can't find the bolts listed anywhere online. May have to special order from the dealer. Hoping I can get the old bolt out. I have a bolt extraction kit but it needs a drill and the bolt is in a bit of a tricky place but it may be accessible with a drill bit.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:17 AM

If you pull the water pump does the broken end of the bolt stick out past the mating surface? I imagine that is your best bet for extracting it as you might be able to grab the end with vice grips.

You said you have an extraction kit and it requires a drill. I hope a drill fits in that spot, but, you might want to grab the extraction bit with vice grips and use a hammer and tap the extraction bit into the exposed face of the broken bolt and carefully twist it out, going counter clockwise/clockwise and eek it out slowly and saturate it with WD40 or something similar. A drill might be too fast and tear away any chance for grip that you had. Other than that, the remaining 7 bolts and gasket sealer might do the job of keeping it sealed.

Coolant leaks can cause other problems as this engines generates a lot of heat. Throttle body and sensors can get too hot, and over time the electronics can fail when they may not have with a full sealed cooling system. Best of luck!

The following users liked this post:
04xtype04 (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the tips Patterson. I am not sure if the bolt is broken flush with the housing or if there is any sticking out. I would have to remove the water pump to find out. My guess is there is not much sticking out, but there may be, and maybe I can use vice grips. I have pb blaster too I can spray on it. I'm not sure how much room I will have. It seems to be in a tricky position but there might be enough room to get a drill at it with an extractor bit. I am just really tired of working on my car right now. I was hoping this was the last weekend for a while I would spend doing car repairs and it looks like I have at least one more fun one planned to try to get this sorted out. Changing the pump looks pretty easy but the bolt is the tricky part. Any ideas where to order the bolts from? The nearest dealership near me is an hour away so mail order would probably be best. I contacted Jagbits but they are closed for the weekend.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Patterson, do you think I can get by without replacing that broken bolt? I am in serious trouble right now. I basically have to pull out the whole housing to extract that broken bolt. Not sure but I think I would need to replace the housing gaskets if I did that, which apparently is a part I would have to get from a Jaguar dealership. Maybe I could use gasket maker. I'm not sure what to do. The pump needs to be changed but that broken bolt is going to be difficult to get out.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

04xtype04, you can most likely get away with not replacing that bolt if you need the car. With that being said, do not rely on just the gasket that comes with the new water pump. Get your hands on some Form-a-Gasket and apply a little bit to both sides of the gasket (apply to one side, put that side against the water pump and then put the Form-a-Gasket on the other side). Now assemble it and make sure that you get all the bolts to roughly the same torque. By getting all the bolts tightened equally, it will help keep the water pump as flat as it can and the Form-a-Gasket will help seal it all together.

I would still try to get the old bolt out. But, if you start running out of time, then slap it back together like I mentioned and you should be good. But, I wouldn't drive around like that forever.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM

04X, as usual Thermo has good advice. Sounds like your best bet for moving fwd. I see in other threads you have jumped into quite a few projects with your car. Best of luck, but I agree, it would be nice to reach a stopping point at some time and just enjoy driving your Jag.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Yea, I think the best case scenario would be pulling off the water pump housing and getting the broken bolt removed. Problem now is I probably did more harm than good today trying to extract it from the engine bay without removing the housing. Hoping the threads will still be good. I had no luck today extracting the bolt. I drilled and drilled but didn't make any progress. I kept thinking the extractor bit would catch and start pulling out the bolt but it just spun and spun. I broke my two smaller left hand bits right away on it. I think that bolt is actually a pretty hard material. The good thing is I think I found a replacement bolt that would be perfect at the auto store, if I can get the old one out. So I guess I should get a water pump and try to get the bolt out first before I go out and buy the $300 housing and pump assembly. Other wise that broken bolt is basically costing $250. So I guess risk just buying the pump and hoping to get that bolt out. I am really frustrated with it though. I drove around today and haven't seen any leaking from under my car and with the new thermostat it's driving like new again. I am guessing the water pump seal is on the fritz but if it is only occasionally drips a little, I might not even have to replace it right now... Except that it has a broken bolt, so when it is time to replace it I have to deal with it.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the job last week, bought a new OEM unit from the dealer. I paid ~ $135.00 including the gasket and tax. Easiest water pump job I have ever done. Still have another leak I believe it's the 3 inch lower radiator hose or clamp.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 PM

That lower radiator hose was giving me a huge headache yesterday when I changed the thermostat, trying to get the clamps back on it. They use a lot of force on the clamps and the angle they were at I could not get my pliers to grab ahold of it. Eventually got it after about 30 frustrating minutes. Maybe a universal hose would fit since it's just a straight piece. Otherwise you would probably have to look the part number up and order it from a jaguar dealer or jaguar parts place. My big problem right now is my water pump is starting to leak and I broke the lower bolt off it, making the problem a huge headache. Probably going to try to find the whole assembly. It's not leaking now though which is strange... These are things that happen when you are tired and frustrated after a long day working on your car. You break a $300 bolt.