Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water and sound system/parking aid module problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water and sound system/parking aid module problems

Hello and greetings from Spain.

We had a lot of rain here recently and some of the water get into the car. Not sure from where its coming but i suspect the rear drain holes of the solar roof are clogged. Dont know how to unblock them.... but anyway the question now is about the consequences of that water.
The space where the spare wheel is placed become flooded and water reached the parking aid module which is damaged. There is water inside the case and some chips have brown pins. Im trying to clear them but i think some of them are fried. My car has front and read parking sensors and im having difficulties to find the right module. The SN is 4x43-15k866-bf, i think is pretty rare here in Spain.
I think this problem will be resolved replacing the module but at the same time i have another problem that bothers me more, the main speakers (woofers) dont work. My car has premium sound system with the amplifier mounted on the side of the trunk, tweeters and both subwoofers sound ok.
Maybe the parking beeps sound through the woofers and the signal that goes from the amplifier to the speakers goes through the parking aid module? What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2022, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

borjaevo, lets break this down into 3 issues: clogged sunroof drains, failed parking sensors, and a sound system issue.

Like you have said, the parking sensor issue is most likely the module getting flooded and a new module is needed. All you can do is look on places like e-bay to see if you can find a module, even if you have to have it imported from say the US (same module).

As for the sound system, it has no ties to the parking sensor system. So, lets just toss that idea out the window. Odds are, you either got some water on the woofers, some water on the sub amp, or the speakers just happened to fail at the same time. I would personally go with the later as many members have had issues with the subwoofers. You can get aftermarket ones from a local shop that will get things back up and running. It might cost a few bucks, but a competent stereo shop will be able to diagnose your problem in just a few minutes and give you a plan forward.

Now, for the sunroof drains. The fix for this is fairly easy. What you are going to want is a can of compressed air like you use to clean your keyboard, some masking tape, and some anti-fungal cleaner (Lysol is one example, think bathroom cleaners). You are going to start with opening up the sunroof all the way so you can stand in the opening. If you look in the back corners, you will see 2 small holes (1 on each side, about 3-4 mm in size). Spray some of the cleaner in the recess and let it run down the holes. Give this a few minutes to work. As you are waiting, take the little straw that comes with the canned air and using masking tape, build up the end of the straw big enough that you can put it over the small drain holes in the back corners. When ready, press the tape against the holes and give the drain lines a blast of air. You can pour a little bit of water into the recess there and see it drain out. Worst case, give it a few more blasts, using the water to help push any build up out of the drain lines. Once you think you think you have both drain lines clear, pour 1-2 liters of water into the recess to do a final flush of the drain lines. Make sure you see water coming out behind the rear tires on both sides. That will fix your sunroof issues.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
borjaevo, lets break this down into 3 issues: clogged sunroof drains, failed parking sensors, and a sound system issue.

Like you have said, the parking sensor issue is most likely the module getting flooded and a new module is needed. All you can do is look on places like e-bay to see if you can find a module, even if you have to have it imported from say the US (same module).

As for the sound system, it has no ties to the parking sensor system. So, lets just toss that idea out the window. Odds are, you either got some water on the woofers, some water on the sub amp, or the speakers just happened to fail at the same time. I would personally go with the later as many members have had issues with the subwoofers. You can get aftermarket ones from a local shop that will get things back up and running. It might cost a few bucks, but a competent stereo shop will be able to diagnose your problem in just a few minutes and give you a plan forward.

Now, for the sunroof drains. The fix for this is fairly easy. What you are going to want is a can of compressed air like you use to clean your keyboard, some masking tape, and some anti-fungal cleaner (Lysol is one example, think bathroom cleaners). You are going to start with opening up the sunroof all the way so you can stand in the opening. If you look in the back corners, you will see 2 small holes (1 on each side, about 3-4 mm in size). Spray some of the cleaner in the recess and let it run down the holes. Give this a few minutes to work. As you are waiting, take the little straw that comes with the canned air and using masking tape, build up the end of the straw big enough that you can put it over the small drain holes in the back corners. When ready, press the tape against the holes and give the drain lines a blast of air. You can pour a little bit of water into the recess there and see it drain out. Worst case, give it a few more blasts, using the water to help push any build up out of the drain lines. Once you think you think you have both drain lines clear, pour 1-2 liters of water into the recess to do a final flush of the drain lines. Make sure you see water coming out behind the rear tires on both sides. That will fix your sunroof issues.
Thank you!

I understand from your answer that the aid parking system has its own speaker and has nothing to do with the audio speakers. My parking aid module, i think... is not the typical one, its a 4x43-15k866-bf with front and rear sensors and has a lot cabling. Maybe this work different? I found very strange that both things fail at the same time, but could be.
I read about what you said about the blown speakers, i would like to test that, but i have to desassembly the door panel and im terrified about it because i real the clips always break, so i think to test de speakes from the output of the amplifier. If i find the wires connected to the woofers i think i can connect some analog signal to them and test if they sound.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:34 AM
Veteran member

borjaevo, the front and rear parking assist became a standard item in like 2007. So, if you can find the unit from a newer vehicle, you should be good. Specifically, you are interested in the "15k866" aspect of the part you are after. The "bf" is simply a version number. So, if you can find one with say "be" or "bh", that will be close enough that you should be able to install with no issues. The "4x43" is telling me that the module is from a second generation X-Type (the first gen is 1X43). Hopefully with this knowledge, you can open up your searching options and find a module.

As for the subs, a simple check would be to simply take a 12VDC battery and wire it up to the subs (ie, disconnect the factory wiring, connect the battery with an inline momentary close switch in the line). You can then momentarily press the switch closed and you should hear the speaker go "thump". It will thump a second time as you release the switch. Just don't hold the switch down for a minute or so. really just need to push then immediately release. This iwll give you 2 thumps to listen for.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
borjaevo, the front and rear parking assist became a standard item in like 2007. So, if you can find the unit from a newer vehicle, you should be good. Specifically, you are interested in the "15k866" aspect of the part you are after. The "bf" is simply a version number. So, if you can find one with say "be" or "bh", that will be close enough that you should be able to install with no issues. The "4x43" is telling me that the module is from a second generation X-Type (the first gen is 1X43). Hopefully with this knowledge, you can open up your searching options and find a module.

As for the subs, a simple check would be to simply take a 12VDC battery and wire it up to the subs (ie, disconnect the factory wiring, connect the battery with an inline momentary close switch in the line). You can then momentarily press the switch closed and you should hear the speaker go "thump". It will thump a second time as you release the switch. Just don't hold the switch down for a minute or so. really just need to push then immediately release. This iwll give you 2 thumps to listen for.
The speakers with the problem are not the subs, the problem is on the woofers inside the door. Maybe is not called that way there? subwoofers, woofers and tweeters? This is why i think its simpler to find the wires that goes to the woofer from the ampli. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2022, 09:16 AM

Im here again to say the problem with the speakers is all 4 woofer fried. I suppose for some reason the amplifier produced a very big peak. I read it happened to various users here to the xtype so it happened to me also.

About the parking aid module, i found one with same SN on ebay. Its expensive but i dont think i have any other option.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2022, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

Not sure if this is the one that you saw or not. But, it may be a different one for a lot less.

JAGUAR X TYPE PARKING DISTANCE FRONT/REAR CONTROL PDC MODULE ECU 4X43-15K866-BF | eBay

As for the speakers, it can happen. All it takes is one good pop from the amp and you can do some interesting damage to speakers.