X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird cable in my trunk coming from the inside of the car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird cable in my trunk coming from the inside of the car.

Hi,

I just recently purchased a 2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0 and to my surprise I see this cable that looks like something that connects to a computer motherboard (see link to pictures at bottom of text). Now what I really hope it is would be something I can use to connect like a bluetooth adapter so I can play my music on my phone through my car system without having to get an FM adapter that plays music over an FM station or making huge modifications to it.

However I have heard that I can get something that piggy-backs from the antenna. But I don't even know where to start I mean I can't find any diagrams or anything that could walk me through.

Conventional wisdom tells me that this is the right place to ask this type of questions. I guess this is a two prong question. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tustfucrl...pTCSgl2Qa?dl=0

Old 08-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

Isaac, looking at it, that would appear to be the cable to power the CD changer/Nav DVD player. Do you happen to have the Nav unit in the dash? Looking, you don't have the DVD player in the back. It may be that someone attempted to upgrade the radio and didn't go all the way.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Isaac,

Welcome to our forum. If you haven't yet introduced yourself I might suggest you view JimC64's announcement under General Jaguar Forum. Here's a link;

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...gned-up-22253/

As for your mystery cable, my thinking is right along the same line as Thermo, but it doesn't look at all like any Jaguar audio harness.

It is a modified 14-pin molex mini-fit jr. connector. Modified in that pin 13 has been nulled. Molex makes that iconic looking connector for the computer business, but this particular connector see little use in computers. It is however used to create proprietary connections in automobile audio equipment.

My thinking is that your x's previous owner may have had an aftermarket entertainment system that he removed prior to selling.

I had a similar situation with a used Tahoe, where they removed all of the equipment and left the wiring under the carpets.

I hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (08-08-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 02:59 PM

BTW: I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing Alpine use Molex connectors in some of their gear.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:13 PM

Thanks Thermo and hobbs

After reading the new member's rules I realized that I was a little rude not introducing myself. I live in Phoenix Arizona and I work in Marketing, my understanding of cars is very little let alone luxory vehicles since my last ride was a 97 Pontiac GTP. I replaced many parts on that one but I am a complete newb as far as audio and electronic components goes.

I purchased my Jaguar one and a half month ago and I completely love my 2004 3.0 X Type with 63,000 miles I love the way it handles compared to BMW's or other brands and its 'umph' too.

As far as that Molex connector I bet it was used to maybe power an amplifier or like CD changer. Do you guys think I can use that connector to connect some sort of aftermarket auxiliary cord that I can plug into my phone to play music via my car stereo? Or would I need to follow the cable under the carpet all the way to behind the entertainment system on the dashboard to figure that out?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

Isaac, do not worry about the introduction. You are not the first to do what you did nor will you be the last. We just offer a gentle reminder. Besides, we like to pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. So, sit back, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the read.

As for what the plug goes to, unfortunately, this is one of those things that you are going to have to hand over hand the wiring to see where the other end is. From there, we can tell you what someone did. Now, the good thing is, accessing where they probably ran the code is pretty easy. The sill plates (the plastic pieces in the door jam) are just held in by friction clips. So, you can stick your finger under the plastic and lift straight up and they will pop right off. This will give you access to under the carpeting and you can follow the wiring from there.

I occassionally make my way down to Phoenix. My work sends me over to Southwest Microwave there in Tempe for classes. So, keep an eye out in the regional section as I will normally post something up when I am heading that way. Then we can take a night and meet up. I have met a few of the members from here that way. If you happen to make your way to Tucson, eat at El Charro and tell them that one of your friends asked you to thank them for their support of the USS Tucson (a submarine I served on).

Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Isaac Moller
As far as that Molex connector I bet it was used to maybe power an amplifier or like CD changer. Do you guys think I can use that connector to connect some sort of aftermarket auxiliary cord that I can plug into my phone to play music via my car stereo? Or would I need to follow the cable under the carpet all the way to behind the entertainment system on the dashboard to figure that out?
Issac,

You're probably going to have to locate the other end to find out what it was used for and whether or not it's still connected to anything. There are a number of possibilities for it's use. It could have been a custom termination for your existing head unit. I've heard of aftermarket blue tooth harnesses that use 14 pin connectors, but I believe they are for vehicles that are wired for phone.

If your primary goal is to get your phone to play through your speakers, then is it safe to assume that you've already checked to see if your car has a blue tooth module?

If you haven't you can find out by holding the phone icon button on your radio for a second or two. If it comes back at you saying "no phone", then you need to get a blue tooth module. I think that's the simplest way to get you iPhone to play friendly with kitty.

On this forum there are so many people, so much smarter than I am, that I would think some archived threads would not only help you understand your car, but also get you in touch with some of those members who have actually made the alterations you're looking to do.

Here are some links to help you explore.

Jim's sticky on "How To" is great (although Jim the link to the latest Sat/DVD doesn't work):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

Here's a premium upgrade:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-pics-4556/

This is one of my favorites. I hope to do this in the not too distant future!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-info-102632/

Anyway, welcome aboard, explore and I'm sure others will join in to help.

Good luck

Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 AM

lol Thermo "Southwest Microwave". Most of my Arizona residence has been in Flagstaff and now I have lived in Phoenix for about 2 years and it is definitely hot! Thank you so much for the information and once I feel brave enough I will follow that cable. Also I will keep my eye on the regional section.

This is definitely a good forum with quality people in it.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by hobbs
Issac,

You're probably going to have to locate the other end to find out what it was used for and whether or not it's still connected to anything. There are a number of possibilities for it's use. It could have been a custom termination for your existing head unit. I've heard of aftermarket blue tooth harnesses that use 14 pin connectors, but I believe they are for vehicles that are wired for phone.

If your primary goal is to get your phone to play through your speakers, then is it safe to assume that you've already checked to see if your car has a blue tooth module?

If you haven't you can find out by holding the phone icon button on your radio for a second or two. If it comes back at you saying "no phone", then you need to get a blue tooth module. I think that's the simplest way to get you iPhone to play friendly with kitty.

On this forum there are so many people, so much smarter than I am, that I would think some archived threads would not only help you understand your car, but also get you in touch with some of those members who have actually made the alterations you're looking to do.

Here are some links to help you explore.

Jim's sticky on "How To" is great (although Jim the link to the latest Sat/DVD doesn't work):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

Here's a premium upgrade:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-pics-4556/

This is one of my favorites. I hope to do this in the not too distant future!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-info-102632/

Anyway, welcome aboard, explore and I'm sure others will join in to help.

Good luck
Hobbs,

Thank you for the explanation and I tried your advice and my Jag said "no phone" just as you expected. I really do believe that there are so many smart people as I have been lurking around before I became a member and there is so much information here.

I will explore those links and I thank you very much for your help