Old 12-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use for wiper? bad winter

what do you guys use for wiper??
In what size??

Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What do you use for wiper? bad winter

I keep the stock sizes, not sure what they are but I know they are both different. I have always bought Bosch and never had a problem with them.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use whatever the dealer gave me..I'm on the second set and they are fine..I clean them every once month with a clean rag, and some rubbing alcohol...

Old 12-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

The Michelin ones from Costco. Low cost and work great.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've become a fan of the http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon bosch Icon wipers. They're abit pricey, but so far, worth every penny.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys.,..I always thank you guys that answering my questions...

Old 12-21-2008, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I use whatever the dealer gave me..I'm on the second set and they are fine..I clean them every once month with a clean rag, and some rubbing alcohol...
you clean the rubber blade with alcohol?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM

soap and water I can see.
But alcohol does bad things to rubber.... even synthetic 'rubber'......

that 'seems' like it would shorten the life of the wiper?
Maybe WD40 would be a good option?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 PM
ud

WD-40 if you want to blind yourself by smearing the glass..

Soak an area of a whiteclean ragwith Rubbing Alcohol and pinch the blade edge and wipe it up and down..rotate rag area until it stops getting black..It will not hurt the rubber at all and will clean off road grime and oils accumulating to it.. Soap and water just don't cut it.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:15 PM

WD40 won't blind you at all, Dennis. As a matter of fact, it cleans things (including glass) quite nicely, thank you. It's also very, very good at keeping snow and ice from building-up.

I'm sure your alcohol trick works just fine. I just know that rubber (and even synthetic rubber) will dry-out and crack prematurely when exposed to rubbing alcohol. I've never used it on wiper blades, so maybe it does not shorten the life of the blade significantly enough that it is a problem? That's all I was asking. Not suggesting it wasn't a good idea... just asking the question that comes from having many, many seals / o-rings etc etc fail from being cleaned with alcohol, before I learned better. [:@]

Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  6.0 KB

ORIGINAL: Dennis

WD-40 if you want to blind yourself by smearing the glass..

Soak an area of a whiteclean ragwith Rubbing Alcohol and pinch the blade edge and wipe it up and down..rotate rag area until it stops getting black..It will not hurt the rubber at all and will clean off road grime and oils accumulating to it.. Soap and water just don't cut it.
As per Dennis although I 've always used turpentine / meths substitute and a rag andfollow the same routine Dennis posted up every once in a while, more frequently during the winter months.
Absolutely fantastic at removinggeneral road grime, oily deposits etc etc and helps the blade to perform at its best. As recommended to me by a very experienced auto mechanic some years ago.

Not too sure about WD40 on the windscreen........Its good at repelling moisture hence the reason why so many peeps used to use it on their distributor caps etc on older models when winter set in but I woulda thought it would have smeared the glass too. Maybe McJag could fill us in a little more?

Jim

Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
ud

Yes..I will not atempt making a mess of my windshield with WD-40..But I will wait and see how your's McJagturns out after you've tried it and report back as to the results please..I remain open minded on this..

I believe the rubber of a wiper blade (or compound of synthetic)are made to withstand alcohol based solvents..i.e., the Washer solution used is 99% of the time made from Methanol (alcohol)

Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM

Okay, somehow this got off track.
I was asking a question about using alcohol on rubber.... something that in my own experience is rarely a good idea. (I'm open to being wrong about this application though)
One of the urban legends (or maybe it's true?) about WD40 though, is that it was developed originally as a way to renew rubber seals on NASA's test engines. ??? I don't know... but I DO know that WD40 is GREAT on most things rubber.... (I said 'Most' things... this is not the "Men-are-you-gay" thread ), which is why I suggested that.
And yes, a trick we learned at the racetrack many, many years ago was to clean the windscreen with WD. Clean, not Treat! WD will remove 'pert near ANYTHING, and then wipe it off with a clean rag. Just like soap, you leave it on there and you're looking for more trouble than you started with! Not surprisingly, the subsequent cleanings at that race weekend will go much easier... thigs just don't stick as well!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

WD 40 is Kerosene... a cheap fuel for camp stoves and heaters. well marketed as a life saver in a spray can, but for sure not for cleaning much properly.
that seems a little counter-intuitive... or maybe even contradictory?
If WD is Kerosene, and Kerosene has been the number one cleaning-agent found in parts-cleaners in shops all over the world... then How can the second part of your statement be true?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM

Instead of always looking for some hole in what I am saying.. why not try to look for the logic?.. you cause us a lot of grief unnecessarily.
this from the guy who posted in this thread in the last 24 hours: https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_84419/tm.htm
and the guy who has made entire threads about being very "specific and complete" in what we say..... and calling those who are not, such names as "buffoons", as I recall.

It's okay Bo, I know you don't like me much. Feeling's mutual.
But you said, and I quote:"but for sure not for cleaning much properly" in an effort to contradict what I was saying.
But NOBODY in this thread asked about being able to eat off of something. That is simply your way of changing the context so as to appear 'right'. I doubt many are fooled.
My response is at LEAST as valid as yours, and probably more so, since it was actually factual.

And to your final point about causing "us" alot of grief..... I hope it's just YOU I cause grief to.... But I wonder why you feel you should speak for others like that?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  6.0 KB

What is on your wiper blades that soap and water can not clean? seems odd to me.
As I'm sure you know Bo, all sorts of fuel petrol / diesel etc are deposited on the roads through leakages, spillages etc as is oil here n there. Then once its rained / rainingand you're driving along through a fine mist kicked up by the car in front BAM its all over your windscreen which your wipers are trying hard to clean.
If your wipers have that crap all over them, new or not, it very quickly becomes like driving through a fog.
This is the reason I use the process I mentioned.

Jim

Quick Reply: What do you use for wiper? bad winter