Sponsored by:

What do you use for wiper? bad winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: What do you use for wiper? bad winter

well alrighty then.

Has anyone tried "Silblade" brand? They are supposed to last 5 years, which I am highly skeptical since I change my blades at least every 3 months.

I agree on the Michelins, they are probably the best I have found for the X, although they can be hard to locate sometimes. Bosch, Trico, Rain-Xare ok but not great.

What do you all use, besides WD40 in some cases, to clean the windshield? I typically use glass cleaner and fine steel wool or a razor, but I have found that turtle wax rubbing compound takes off the really tough stuff.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chris X

What do you all use, besides WD40 in some cases, to clean the windshield? I typically use glass cleaner and fine steel wool or a razor, but I have found that turtle wax rubbing compound takes off the really tough stuff.
I use the Windscreen polish that Jaguar provides me..the Dealer always throws a bottle of it on the front seat after I've had it in for service..it works great..Sort of like a fine rubbing compund.

Good one on the WD-40

A little history on WD-40 (unfortunately there is no mention of using it on the windshield or the wipers)

WD-40 is the trademark name of a widely-used water displacing spray commonly sold in hardware stores and other such retail outlets. Developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen, then working for the San Diego Rocket Company, it was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion,[1] and later was found to have numerous household uses.
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that promotes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.[1] WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons.

WD-40 was first used by Convair to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion.[1] The product first became commercially available on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.[1]

Function
The long term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus get into crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.

Formulation
WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
[ul][*]50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)[*]25%: Liquified petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)[*]15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)[*]10-%: Inert ingredients [/ul]
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:
[ul][*]60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated[*]1-5%: Carbon dioxide [/ul]
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

Uses

Typical uses of WD-40 around the home include
[ul][*]Stopping squeaks in door hinges.[*]Loosening rusted or seized components (i.e., nuts and screws) for easier removal.[*]Spraying on hand tools, prior to storage, to help prevent rust[*]Cleaning objects affected by grease, caked-on dirt or adhesive residue (such as that left behind by sticky tape) [/ul]

Typical uses of WD-40 in automotive repair include
[ul][*]Driving moisture out of the high and low-tension electrical components of an internal combustion engine (e.g. cleaning and drying the inside of the ignition distributor cap) so that it will start, particularly on cold days[*]Loosening nuts and screws[*]Cleaning wheels[*]The WD-40 company claims it is safe for use on all motorcycle chains, but recommended cleaning products vary among chain manufacturers. Tsubaki Chain[3] and RK Chain recommend WD-40 to clean or displace water on all types of chains, including sealed ring[4] [/ul]

Specialty Uses
[ul][*]Leatherman, the manufacturer of the popular multi-tool of the same name, recommends WD-40 as a post-cleaning lubricant to displace water and prevent corrosion.[5][*]In Boston, officials repaired the bell atop city-owned Faneuil Hall with daily treatments of WD-40 over the course of a week.[6][*]In cleaning, WD-40 displaces crayon and ink from computer and television monitors.[*]WD-40 can be sprayed on snow shovels and snowblower components to prevent snow from sticking to their surfaces. [/ul]

Caution
[ul][*]WD-40 is a fine product and has many uses, but it is not real contact cleaner. It leaves a sticky residue that can attract dust.[*]WD-40 should never be used in locks for the same reason. Locks should be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, allowed to dry thoroughly and lubricated with dry graphite powder.[*]A sample of WD-40 that was sprayed onto a piece of steel plate and left outside at -25 for about 20 minutes froze.[/ul]

Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Dennis:
All I can say is: WOW.
No... really..... WOW!!

I never knew there was so much I didn't know about WD40!

But thanks for filling us in! And I can safely say I have used WD40 for EVERY use that you've listed above.... and obviously (from this thread alone! ) several NOT listed.

Just 3 weeks ago, I ran my creeper over a can in the driveway and when it punctured, it heavily lubed the... er... ahem... "inner thigh region" of both legs.... and also the...e r...um... "Hang-Down", as my boy calls it. I had that "gee, what-took-me-so-long-to-see-the-Doc-walk"going-on for a week after that!! [&:]

Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL....

It also worksgreat in a Potato Cannon..

Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

"Do you smell that? It's WD40 son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of WD-40 in the morning.

"Smells like victory..."

Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  6.0 KB

ORIGINAL: bojangles
Clean = free of contaminants... and wd40 is a contaminant.. sheesh.. what is wrong with you?
I hope that comments not directed at me Bo!
Dennis - wayyyyyyyyytooooo much info on the WD40 mate..lol
It is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black Bo for you to talk about anyone causing any other member grief, when you continually pull people up for spelling mistakes and grammar and silly minor stuff generally. People donttend togo on and on about you being OTT with this kinda stuff or about your one word, short, abruptanswers. Live n let live for gods sake.

If McJaguar and you don't like each other thats fine no problem. You both have a point of view to post on the forum, so go for it. Just try n keep it civil please!

Jim