X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if my Transfer Case Dies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What happens if my Transfer Case Dies?

So I haven't been posting much due to school work and mcat studying. But this question just popped into my head and it made me curious. What happens if my Transfer Case gives out while driving?

Some of you may remember that I complained last year about a whistling sound that came at 30 mph. Well I'm pretty sure that was due to the lack of oil in the transfer case since fluid doesn't move much when its cold. Well once the weather warmed up this past spring the sound disappeared. Car always use to make a whirring sound after I drove in the snow. (Basically anytime after wheels were spinning)

But what would happen? I just want to know so I'm prepared for this winter. Other day I was using the J-Gate and my tranny smelled like it was on fire. I threw it back in D and it went away. Hasn't occured since even when using the J-Gate.

Friend of mine said his TC gave out on his Talon a few times. He was just driving along, and then next second he realizes he is just spinning. All 4 wheels got locked so they stopped spinning. At this point you can't brake or steer so you just hold on for dear life and pray.

Now i'm wondering if the same thing will happen on the Jag where it locks up and is undrivable. Or will the car just become like Rear Wheel Drive. Or even Front Wheel Drive. Where it can still be moved.

Thanks guys,

MD

Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What happens if my Transfer Case Dies?

This happened to a buddy or mine's Eclipse GSX and it locked his rear wheels on him.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a transfer case die on me in the X. It was an interesting experience, to say the least. The car was driving fine, then it started to shake violently. After lots of clunking and clicking, we barely got it off the road. After that, when trying to engage the clutch from 1st gear, it went "CLACK CLICK CLACKETY". It'd barely move. Took it to the shop and sure as my name it was the T-case.

That's my experience. That whistling sound you heard was definitely a sign of bad things to come if you hadn't gotten any oil in there in time.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Ok that's not good. Plus my tranny is messed up. Sometimes cruising on the highway in 5th at about 70. I want to pass someone so I push down on the accelerator (automatic) and the car kind of goes into neutral, revs jump up and are bouncing off the rev limiter, then car goes back into 5th. And I didn't go any faster. So I've had some scary times like that. Trying to accelerate and switch lanes but car doesn't speed up and the guy in the other lane is approaching behind me very quickly...

I hope my X doesn't die yet. Or kill me in the process.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it dies you should give it a proper burial. if it is making noises, I would get it checked outasap

Old 09-12-2008, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: SpartanX

I had a transfer case die on me in the X. It was an interesting experience, to say the least. The car was driving fine, then it started to shake violently. After lots of clunking and clicking, we barely got it off the road. After that, when trying to engage the clutch from 1st gear, it went "CLACK CLICK CLACKETY". It'd barely move. Took it to the shop and sure as my name it was the T-case.

That's my experience. That whistling sound you heard was definitely a sign of bad things to come if you hadn't gotten any oil in there in time.

That sounds so sudden. Were there any earlier signs before that?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 PM

usually the transfer case just makes a loud grinding noise and a complete loss of power is felt. when put into gear again there is no movement, usually just grinds like a transmission does if you put it into park too early. Does the high pitched howl appear at about 30 and go away about 33mph give or take a few?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: stkxjrtech

usually the transfer case just makes a loud grinding noise and a complete loss of power is felt. when put into gear again there is no movement, usually just grinds like a transmission does if you put it into park too early. Does the high pitched howl appear at about 30 and go away about 33mph give or take a few?
I don't have the sound right now. But it happened last winter when the temps dropped and it lasted for about 3-4 months. I'm assuming its gonna start happening again. But yea sound is from 30-33mph or so. Never went away even when car was warmed up to operating temperature. It only stopped after temperatures outside got up to mid 40's.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_66990/tm.htm

I have the same problem but mine threw a transmission failure light. The link above may have a solution that may work, read it and decide for yourself. I am still working on a solution for mine, not sure if I'll do the one in the link or get a used tranny.