X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to look for when buying a used X type

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: what to look for when buying a used X type

Thanks for all of the help guys. Count me as a member of the club, as I bought the car this morning. She is pristine and the guys at Texas Cars Direct were a pleasure to deal with. I used all of your suggestions, even had JagTech run the VIN for me. Everythign checked out fine, no issues at all. Car appears to be perfect but I got an extended warranty anyway. I will be a regular visitor and poster.

Tarheel

Pics to follow in the members ride section

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
one
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what to look for when buying a used X type
The door.

No more used Jags for me. Gotta have 50k in factory wty for me to buy in again.

Mind you it's not the big things like the weak transmission that falls out of these cars, it's the LITTLE things. Damn Ford electronics. Wty ran out and 2 weeks later the seats decided to heat when they wanted to and not heat when they wanted to. Tech couldn't fix it because it WORKED when they had it. Got it home... no heat. Next day... heat... next day... no heat.

Pop the trunk from the remote...... alarm goes off when you lift the trunk lid. Go to jag, pop the trunk.......... no alarm. Get home pop the trunk.... e'ffin alarm goes off!

$100 per pop to go to the dealer and get sent back home with no fix. While it is under wty they treat you like a king (at my dealership they do). ONce the wty is out a million thing will start to go wrong .... all small little niggling things...... and since they are intermittent, they won't get fixed and they'll bug the **** out of you. I'd never sell anyone a car with these gremlins so once I figure out what they are, I may just stick it on the auction block.

Damn shame considering it is in showroom condition, but I've had my fill of Ford Electronics.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

it's not Ford electronics, it's the ghost of Lucas

Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds to me like a short in the seat heater switch or internal in the module. Hard to say without looking at it.
The alarm going off when trunk opens is probably the switch not sending signal when latch is opened.
Again hard to say without looking at car.
What a crap dealer you must go to. I would have kept the car for a few days if needed. Probably would have driven it home to try and get it to act up.
I don't like giving cars back that arent fixed. Sorry you are having those kinds of problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine did the trunk thing once. if I were you, i would just unlock the doors from the remote then push the "jag" button on the trunk.... no alarm that way.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey tarheel did'nt the car come with SE from texascarsdirect? I'm curious exactly how they work as they say that the cars come with the Select Edition on almost every car I've seen???