X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What made you decide to get an X-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What made you decide to get an X-Type?

What made you decide to get an X-Type?

I just bought mine. Things that lead me to the X-Type:

I was looking for my first manual transmission car.
I preferably wanted something with AWD.
I have three small kids and it needed to be able to haul them in a pinch.
I budgeted for $4500 or less for initial purchase price.
I wanted something that looked nice overall with a nice interior if possible.
I was hoping to get a car with less than 100k on the odometer to start.

I considered some Volvos but they are not AWD and manual Volvos by me did not come up often it seems. I do like their I5 motor though, its a good workhorse. Subaru fit the bill with AWD but seemed to usually be ultra high mileage when for sale around me. Saabs seemed to usually be ultra high mileage as well.

So far with only a little time under my belt with the X type I am liking it so far.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The X-Type is my first car. I was initially looking at cars like the Toyota MR2 SW20 Turbo and the Mitsubishi 3000GT (twin-turbo, AWD, manual), but then decided that I want a slightly newer car because I don't really have the ability or capability to do maintenance on a car myself. I've also practically never driven old cars (parents mostly had cars only for 3 years each), and find the interiors of most 90s cars absolutely hideous. Test-driving the MR2 also confirmed that rear seats are a fairly nice thing to have, so I started looking for manual AWD sedans from 2000 up.

The X-Type fit my list of requirements fairly well. I did also consider a Subaru or two, Audis being too boring to look at. One fairly big thing about the Jag is that as they never actually updated/replaced the X-Type, it still looks fairly fresh. Any 2000-2002 Audi/BMW/Merc looks very outdated these days.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hmm, thanks for this awesome post and thanks for your comments.

I was a late starter after suffering serious injuries from an industrial accident, being run over and a serious head-on crash, thus leading me to pass my test 7 years ago (I'm 47 now!) er cough cough! (Age is nothing, Life is everything, Do it NOW! )

I think I was lucky being born and brought up in England, but all over the UK, especially the Jaguar was THE CAR and it very much still is in my view.

I think Jaguar cars have a very flattering appeal, from the vintage on the silver screen and to Today where the cars have developed with Good Management since the industrial nightmare of the 70's, where strife was the common word amongst political upheaval. I am sad to say "Just look at Rover!"

My first car was a Rover and I was fed up dealing with garages/repairs and a car that was in my opinion vastly under-rated and depressingly badly manufactured.
It was a Good Car in my dreams, but it was my first so it beats the rest (again in my dreams!)

Yes, the Jaguar has always been my dream car and I didn't think I would ever drive one, quite simply because Jaguar had a Successful Aura (and price!)and I thought I would never afford one!

I chanced on a 52 (2002) registered 2.0 Litre SE and just loved it but sadly (not for long)after an accident/collision I was left distraught and carless!
That car was my introduction and it purred like a beauty, I really did love it, no qualms at all a REAL CAR IN MY VIEW!

I looked at a replacement, having realised my good fortune in knowing what a Jaguar was like and I loved the practical, comfortable and luxurious feel to the whole car. I felt like a King! The wood surround, the gentle but beautiful cat-like feline design, I knew I had landed! Plus, I started biking again and was riding a Ducati, At no other time in my life did I feel more content, plus when the weather turned, I had the CAT and you didn't have to tog up in leathers, feel weighed down or fear the rain and other drivers!!!

I Love the Ducati and still do, it was a great escape and I will definately want another although the Ducati is such a thrill, I can do the same in the Jag any time I want and not worry about the traffic, the weather and potholes, I LIVE IN BONNIE SCOTLAND!

Meanwhile I spotted a nice sleek 2.5Litre AWD SE model and coughed at the price, then I thought, well I may never drive a Jag again if I don't shell out hard cash and having been in previous scrapes (Not my fault by the way he would say that anyway!!!)

I went for it and bought the AWD and have never looked back although the AWD was sadly written off by a roadside technician who shall remain nameless!

The car had failed to start and the patrolman decided to damage my car (I do believe it was "ACCIDENTAL") and I ended up fighting with my insurance for 10 months to get reparation.

I sorted the case last October and am definately not looking back now because the 2005 AWD was probably the neatest, best looking well maintained car I will ever own although I am looking for time and the finances to spruce up the 2.5 X Type Sport I now own, plus get decent tyres and a good tuning!!!

I am without doubt a Lucky Guy and I am adamant the X Type will go down in history as a car that was very under-rated due to the labelling of certain individuals who call it a "Mondeo".

I curse the people that say Jags are "Old Mens' Cars" as they obviously haven't driven one to appreciate the versatility of the X Type especially the all wheel drive.
My life turned into a living nightmare when a previous partner decided that she and I were no longer and I ended up stranded in a guest house miles form anywhere and the weather was absolutely dreadful, ice and yes... thick snow!

I was struggling in a dead end job and felt terrible doing 12 hour shifts, taking 3 hours to get to and from work and daily coming face to face with a superior (not really!) colleague who also made my life and the rest of the staffs a complete farce.

I was angry, Lonely and wasn't sure where my life was going, have you been there... nobody seems to care and you struggle to find the simplest answer because you're tired, forlorn and think that the end is nowhere near..... well quite simply if you've been there, I sympathise, because it isn't a nice place.... and Lo and behold, You're Lucky if you haven't been there but if you have then you know a bit more about life

Stranded, yes I was and I couldn't see a way out!

The guest house was beautiful and I rested my world with a nice and reassuring glass of J&B and sat before the roasting fire-place and began writing poetry after I found I had lost my job, it was er okay after another glass and complete reassurance and comforting from my friends (and they shall always remain friends!) Chris and Kaz Wheatley at Disblair House Newmachar Aberdeenshire, they turned me around and I shall always hold them in High Esteem.

Yes, Good Friends indeed and the guest house is completely unique, isolated and most beautiful in an enchanting romantic idyllic countryside only a few short miles from Aberdeen Airport, Yes, I found solace there and I dream about it every day!

That day my life changed! I awoke every day in December 2010 and had to fight the ghast look on my face, what happened was the guest house lies beyond a country lane thick surrounded by trees and the place was astrewn with thick ice over 3 inches solid!

The snow would fall and then the thaw would come in the evening and the lane would freeze daily, daily and daily, but do you really want to know? Yes, it wasn't that bad, the things that blinded my every thought and turn were the quagmire of sadness and futility in my life, nothing to do with the car... An All Wheel Drive X Type!

This car was AMAZING, SNOW, ICE nightmare, er no, it was fun to learn to drive and I believe my handling of such an awesome powerful and complete car improved to no end, yes I did get stuck, yes I needed towed out (because I drove into a ditch) the tow was required because my petrol cap was 2 inches away from a dry-stone dyke, I didn't want to rip it apart!!

I also learned not to stop on fresh deep snow cos I now know I will get stuck, don't forget if you like digging go ahead! It gets you fit!
The 3 hour drive to work was 3 hours because other cars couldn't handle it and others couldn't handle theirs and the roads ended up completely jammed, but I had fun giving people lifts along the way!

The vision was enlightening and I remember it like yesterday, I am grateful that person locked me out because I feel like I evolved in Life 200%.
The AWD is amazing and I'm saying it again because it damn well is!

Any weather anywhere, the X Type is a brilliant car! And it's beautiful, I know!
I took a turn off down the wrong uncleared road and steered straight into a 3 foot snow drift, yegads, what had I done, well the X Type proved it'self and sailed with no problem, capable car oh yes!!

The Mondeo couldn't do that and I am not speaking as an expert, just that because I know the X Type can and will do it.

I still dream about the XKR and the XJR but one thing is for sure, I will always have an X Type in my Life, it makes me HAPPY! Thank you for letting me tell this, Life is a long long journey folks, HAPPY DAYS TO YOU ALL!

Best Regards, Stu

Last edited by JimC64; 06-18-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: EDITED TO CREATE LINE BREAKS
The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (06-21-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I've always been into Touring car racing, BTCC and whatnot. My first manual trans 4 door was a 98 SVT Contour, got it about 6 years ago, sold it a few years later, and I LOVED the duratec V6, but didn't like the fwd. While researching about the duratec and contour I learned about the X type having the duratec, 5 speed and awd...they also look great inside and out. I've wanted one for about 5 years now and finally had enough money and a need for a new car in December of last year(all I had at the time was a 94 ranger that blew a head gasket) so I went looking for a 5 speed British racing green X type for under 5k. Found mine for 4500 and couldn't be happier. Also, I've spent more in aftermarket parts since I bought it than I paid for the car...and my list of parts to buy...still huge. I feel like I'm driving around in one of my dream cars though. Even the wheels I bought are just about exactly want I've always wanted to put on a BRG x type.

Stuart Beattie (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i was 17 shopping for my first car. the 2005 Mustang GT's had just hit the dealerships and i was dead set on buying one. I got to the dealership and they had a blue GT spec'ed exactly how I wanted it...price was written on the windshield.

I sit down with the salesman and right away he starts telling me the rims and tires are aftermarket and are an additional $3k. we got into a quarrel about that considering the price was written on the car (literally written on the windshield, not just the window sticker) and that it had no mention that the car had aftermarket parts (they were not ford OEM rims)

after the dispute...i got annoyed and did not want to continue dealing with the sales man. On the drive home, we drove past the Jag dealer my father got his previous XJ from....so we pulled in and there it was....brand new blue X-type. after 10 min of chit chat and very little negotiation (dealer dropped down to the price I wanted right away)....we walked out with the car

Stuart Beattie (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My old car died.

I just wanted to get something with a little class. I hate imports, but at the moment nothing from GM, Ford or Chrysler that I liked fit my budget with the exception of maybe the Chrysler 300. But again, not really classy and plus everyone has one of those. So I started looking into Volvos, and got serious about a couple S80s, also looked at a couple of C Classes and BMW 3 series, but most turned out to be junk. One thing I learned is that pics are deceiving and people will flat out lie about the condition of their cars on Craig's List. Very disappointing especially after driving 2 hours to look at it.

Anyway, the kid I bought my X Type from was really honest. That's probably the biggest reason I bought this car. He was the first person I encountered that was completely honest and up front. After looking at dozens of used cars, I just got a really good vibe from him.

I was vey hesitant about even considering a jag because of the maintenance cost and parts, etc, but im pretty handy and build early American hot rods as a hobby so I figured I can learn how to fix a jag.

So far I'm pleased.

Stuart Beattie (06-20-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

I already have an E type and XJS- those where my grandfathers from new-....so when my daily driver Mercury Sable (which I purchased new) just got way too many miles on her, I started looking at new XF's but could not get over the new "design language" . Then I got laid of, so a 60k dollar XF was out of the question like it or not. I had always liked the X types and for 7k I could get one with less than 65k miles so it seemed like a great deal.

I have owned mine for a couple of weeks and I love the design and interior, I do wish the seats where real leather, but overall I love it aesthetically. It's already got me wondering if I made the right choice though, the car does seem to be extremely high maintenance. I am desperately trying to come up with some cash to buy an aftermarket warranty on it at this point.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>I do wish the seats where real leather

??, all my '05 3.0 auto's seating surfaces were real leather. The sides and back probably not, but all my flesh was cushioned on skin. I'd be really surprised if your, US version, wasn't the same.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Reason Number....

Looks! Looks! and Looks! and AWD. I've ALWAYS liked the look of a Jaguar. Then, in '04 I drove an '02 and have been looking ever since!

Attached Thumbnails What made you decide to get an X-Type?-gedc1198-web-size-cropped.jpg   What made you decide to get an X-Type?-gedc1207-web-size-cropped.jpg   What made you decide to get an X-Type?-gedc1362.jpg   What made you decide to get an X-Type?-gedc1202-web-size-cropped.jpg  
Stuart Beattie (07-07-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
>I do wish the seats where real leather

??, all my '05 3.0 auto's seating surfaces were real leather. The sides and back probably not, but all my flesh was cushioned on skin. I'd be really surprised if your, US version, wasn't the same.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Yeah, a leather expert told me the same thing. The part you sit on is genuine leather, the sides and back are not. On cars with lighter-tone leather it's very easy to see as the leather gets slightly darker with age and dirt while the synthetic leather (pleather ) is still bright. I recall he also said that the bits in the doors are synthetic while the armrest is genuine.

While it'd be "nice" if everything was real leather, it'd add more leather to take care of, so in a sense it makes sense. If that makes sense.

Many also believe that the wood is fake, while it too was proper real wood veneer in all X-Types aside from some rare ones with OEM carbon fiber or aluminium panels.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll have to say buying my jag was one of my favorite life experiences I had always wanted a jag but like all of us jag owners all I heard was how much to maintain the cars cost so I didn't fast forward to 40 and need of room to haul my 2 newborn kids I found my 05 sport It was for sale at the Ferrari dealership for $2000 less than I thought it was originally told wife I was gonna buy a new car one Saturday and off I went she thought I was getting a 4 door jeep or truck lol so i test drove it said I wanted it and I'd be back Monday to get it they let me get it that day with no money down while we waited for the paperwork to clear I told salesman I need 1 thing with the car .... to test drive the Ferrari f430 out front he chuckled and walked off came back and threw a set of keys to me and said come on we have an hour or so he drove the Ferrari off the lot pull in a vacant parking lot and I drove that thing all over town til we had to go back Went back and drove the jag straight to the stereo shop and used my down payment money to buy a DVD and sound system all in 1 day

Last edited by gragner66; 06-19-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

What made me decide to get an X-Type?

I needed a 4WD or an AWD to tackle the North Dakota winters (think Antarctica) and get my late, dear wife to her medical treatments, a 225 miles round-trip. We looked at SUV's, Imports, Domestics, cars, trucks - all had something she didn't like.

The novice salesman at the dealership was rather at wits end with us, as he had a great selection and good prices, and all rather top-'o-the-line recent models with low mileage, and none met her expectations.

She would slide into them, sit for a minute and slide out and say "The seat is too soft", or "The seat is too hard", or "I need a ladder to crawl up there", etc etc (shades of Goldielocks and the Three Little Bears). None of the vehicles even came close to her expectations.

In exasperation, the salesman said "Well, I do have one other car, but think it's a front-wheel drive" and walked us over to the Jag. As we approached it, a rainbow appeared in the sky. My dear Evelyn stood there looking at the Leaper on the hood and asked rather quietly "Do you hear that?" "Hear what?" "Angels. I think I hear angels singing."

The salesman took her for a ride around the block, and when they returned she got out of the car without saying a word, walked into the building to his desk, sat down and pulled out the checkbook.

(We were actually pleasantly surprised to find out it was AWD, which has proved to be absolutely flawless in the snow and on the ice)

What sold her was the seat, the solid feel of the ride, and the fact it smelled like her favorite leather purse. It helped too, that it was near flawless in appearance, and the same color as one of our cats, Itchy Brother.

The deal we (she) cut was pretty good, about half of what I figured we'd be spending that day. Our trade-in was a $100 Ford Taurus I bought from a scrap metal yard, and she made them give us $1,500 trade-in on it.

The salesman started talking about some spray anti-rust treatment he could get done on the Jag before we left, and my dear funny Evelyn immediately started bellowing some modified lines from the car-sale closing scene in the movie Fargo, "Naw, I told ya we don't need no damned 'Tru-Coat'! Ya get us in hear telling us ya got our car and it's all ready to go, and your wasting my time and my husband's time with this damned 'Tru-Coat' stuff! I'm not gonna pay penny more, Mr. Gunderson! Ahhh, what the damned. Where's my goddamned damned checkbook??? Let's get this over with!"

(Absolute stunned silence from the salesman, and them a round of stand-up applause from everyone in earshot)

If you've never seen the movie Fargo, it is worth the watching. And yes people in North Dakota DO talk like they do in the movie. Ya, you betchya!

The vehicle fund was unscathed enough from the Jag purchase that a few months later I was able to buy a big, fat Dodge 5.9 Liter Quad-Cab 4x4 pick-em-up truck, like the other boys around here.

Evelyn's only only requirement was that it HAD to be the same color as the Jag.

What made me decide to get an X-Type? Singing Angels and a Rainbow.

(and the way my beautiful tall leggy blue-eyed blonde love looked in it!)

The

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 06-19-2013 at 11:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bruce in North Dakota:
Danny A Fish (06-19-2013), disguay (06-22-2013), Justink201 (06-20-2013), Stuart Beattie (06-20-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Thats a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Wink Ditto! :)

I have always said "chase the RAINBOW and YOUR DREAMS!"
I hope many others read that and smile!
Well Done, choice and memorable words..... just what....
Life is all about.
Oh Yes! Stu

Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I needed to get a car that did a bit better MPG so i bought a Jag

Last car was a 3.0 V6 shogun and i was lucky if i got 20MPG if i really tried hard and kept off the loud pedal. It had a straight through stainless exhaust and slightly bigger wheels.

I had no idea what to get (and the mrs wasnt to keen on me swapping it either as i often suffered from road rage in a "normal" sized car) We thought it might be because i could see over the top of them in a queue because i always like to see the road as far ahead as possible and i could only describe the Shoggy as "a nice place to be" so sitting in it kept me calm and tranquil

went onto Autotrader website and searched all cars within 100 miles and to be honest there was nothing that interested me. Then i looked at a local small ads site and there were a couple of Jags at an affordable price. I thought no way can i run one of them cos it will cost a fortune ........ then i looked further into it and figured they were nowhere near as bad as i thought.

Checked out a few and believe it or not the best car at the best price came from a Jag main dealer (so i guess i better stop referring to them as st***erships)

I know i could have got a diesel instead of a V6 but i like the idea of AWD and of course the diesels i looked at in a similar condition and age to the 2.5 V6 were £1000 - £1500 more expensive to buy and because i only do about 5000 miles a year in the car the difference wasnt worth it.

Now i just need to get a few bits to make it just a little better and am looking at options for stereo with bluetooth & MP3 player options

Last edited by Jester; 06-21-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: the voices told me to
Stuart Beattie (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I wanted something with enough power that I wouldn't kill myself, but I would still be satisfied. I also wanted a car with awd for the winters in Colorado. I also wanted a car that looked classy and was a manual. I also wanted a car that looked more expensive than it was. And best of all, this had to fit into my budget of 6000 over two years ago. I ended up with a 5spd manual 3.0 sport and LOVE the car. I will drive this thing into the ground because there are very few cars ever built that fit my strict standards and it was honestly this, or a turbo subaru and I am much happier with this.

Stuart Beattie (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

I know it's a while since the last post in this thread - but thought it's time I added my pennys worth....

Up until a couple of years ago I had driven mainly Vauxhalls and Fords, with the odd Yugo (yes a Yugo - sunroof leaked and when you went round a corner you would hear the water rush to one side or the other and soak the passenger or driver depending on which way turning), and Nissan in the mix. My driving history goes right back to my first car a Vauxhall Victor.

About 18 months ago I had a Ford Focus estate - good clean car - but someone clipped me on a corner whilst they were travelling too fast and I ended up writing the Focus off.. anyway my wife spotted an old XJ for sale as an unwanted P-Exchange.. we spent days mulling it over as it was a big engine (compared to our usual cars), was quite mature, and well a Jaguar - who can possibly afford to buy or run a Jaguar..
We went and saw it, and my wife was smitten with the interior and the paintwork, the children (2 of) with the space.. and me.. well, I became a convert in less than a 1000 yards. The feeling of driving a Jaguar, being surrounded by all that wood and leather, and the sound and feeling of all that power waiting on tap, and first time ever not feeling a need to speed or push it, and people politely giving way to me on the road.. absolutely loved it.. we had it for a few months before a lower hose went and the engine overheated. We bought a Vauhall Vectra - a clean tidy car, and I went almost into mourning lol.. something I had found in the XJ was just not there with any 'normal' car.. so she kept an eye out for another Jag - and that is when our X-Type came along.. it was a private dealer who just sold Jags and Merc's. It had some minor paint scratches where a previous owner had tried scouring birds mess off it!! But in every other respect was gorgeous for the money.. not loaded, but then less to go wrong, not leather but the seat material still very comfortable.. we loved it, then the salesman said ' of course you know its four wheel drive? I was going to keep it for the winter if it hadn't sold'.. that was it.. we bought it. My heart is always going to be for another XJ, but this cars grip of the road, and funness and despite being smaller still very much Jaguar - small enough to be economical, large enough to get a 10 & 7 year old in the back comfortably, the Jaguar roar, and when washed and polished it looks gorgeous.. and so far the only repair has been a burst radiator, and almost a year into owning it.. That first time you drive a Jaguar is when you get smitten - and its one hell of a job to go back to anything 'normal' afterwards.. lol.. well, thanks for reading :-) and *that* is how I ended up deciding to get an X-Type - not a direct path, or an end of the path :-) but a distinct route with a few laughs, and I wouldn't change a thing - very, very happy with an X-Type :-)

Stuart Beattie (06-23-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

My wife, of just over four decades, injured her back with little chance of repair. That's another story. But suffice it to say that her much-loved old school Jeep Cherokee (not Grand) was beating her to death. Any trip longer than ten minutes was more than she could take.

So I started looking for something that provided support and wouldn't beat her up. I found a private seller who was offering his 2003 one-family-owned X-Type, in immaculate condition cosmetically and well-maintained with 125K miles on the clock. After a quick on-line research I learned that the asking price was quite reasonable. And since she only drives around 5K a year, the mileage didn't bother me.

I drove it and gained permission to take it home so she could drive it. She had an almost ethereal look on her face when she saw it in the driveway. She took it for a spin, without me. Upon her return she quietly said "I love it. It fits me." As she turned to go back in the house she said - to herself, I swear - "I've always wanted a Jaguar..."

Once in a blue moon I do something right.

And she won't let me sell her Jeep.

Last edited by timetraveler1; 06-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Stuart Beattie (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks to you all for a somewhat personal and touching (at times!) insight into a very capable, beautiful and fascinating car.
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts and experiences, let's keep this going and keep the dream alive?
There are times in life... when you are right.... and sadly sometimes "they just don't believe you" but this is where the buck stops!
You "were there, you felt it and YOU KNEW IT"
That gut instinct that makes you exactly who you are, and what makes you so unique! yes you know it! That feeling won't go away so keep it up and spread the word.
Yours counts most of all, because it's you!