X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what rotors and pads...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rotors and pads...

so i need to get new rotors and might as well do pads at the same time,but ive herd a few things like......depending on the year, and even the month of our cars the rotors and pads are all diffrent.I have an 04, no idea if it is mid year late year etc..., but I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for what rotors and pads I should get, seems most of u guys got em off EGAY, might as well go with drilled or slotted, so any help would be much apprieciated.the reason for this is i have a warped rotor due to my rims being over tightened at wheel shop, which wants to have nothing more to do with me after an angry phone call, guess i should have checked the tourque when i got home, so i know alot of us have done new rotors and pads so lemmie have it, tell me ur wisdom.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

I bought my rotors and pads (ceramics) off of E-bay. I paid around $200 for all 4 wheels to have them shipped to me. 2 years later, no issues. Still stop like a champ (can clear the seats easily) and after 20K miles, the pads are still almost like new and no obvious wear on the rotors. As for the brand, I don't recall who I got them through. As long as you are torquing the wheels properly and not subjecting the rotors to rapid heating/cooling cycles (leads to warping), the name on the rotors I don't think will matter. Most rotors these days are made to roughly the same quality unless you are going with a high dollar rotor/caliper setup (ie, Brembo or the like). But, that is a completely different league of brake components.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Thermo did u order ur's .... and go from the year ur car was made or the year and month, I only ask because i see on somre retailers on ebay it says will only fit certain months.. ie,, says will only fit up to september 2004, should that be a concern, or should i just order them to fit my year.see some drilled slotted with ceramics for around 2 bills shipped from toronto.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

The ones I bought as I recall were designed to fit all years of X-Types. If in doubt, open up your driver's side door and look at the factory sticker there. It will have the build date on it. That will allow you to determine when the car was made and then allowing you to get the correct stuff. But, to the best of my knowledge, there was no difference made to the braking systems for the X-Type.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Akebono pads off tire rack paired with Brembo blanks also off tire rack!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Akebono pads and Centric rotors from Tire Rack. Pads will be quoted for pre and post '05 MY (late '04 build) by serial number IIRC.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Akebono pads off tire rack paired with Brembo blanks also off tire rack!
this. lowest dusting ever and dust is white. I love mine.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EBC Rotors Drilled and Slotted, and EBC Redbox. Much improved over OEM.

I tried the "EGAY" route picked up a full front set (pads/rotors) for around 250.00 shipped.

After about 3 months the rotors started to heat check, causing some horrible brake pedal oscillation.

Lesson learned, stay with what you know. OEM, or a reputable brand you can trust.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Disc Brake Rotors & Pads | R1Concepts.com for rotors. they give 1 yr warranty (and will honor it unlike every other rotor company out there) i use their drilled and slotted on my CTS, threw them on the X-type, and a lot of my friends have the on now too, everyone says they r amazing!

for pads, i havent tried hawk pads on the x-type, but i have them on my cts...they stop great and im happy with them (especially for the price), but if you are at a complete stop and want to inch forward you will get a little noise if you drag then in just the right (wrong)spot...thats my only complaint with them..otherwise great!
the pads that i liked best were the Satisfied ceramic pro and EBC Green Stuff.
the Satisfied's were great throughout their whole lifespan.
the EBC squeal for the first 5-10,000km but that is how they are designed. they have a break in coating on them once it wears off its smooth, solid and hard breaking. they arent cheap but they worked great.
if you are looking to go cheap but get good pads, try out Raybusto Nascar pads. they go on sale all the time here for 50% off. i have them on my truck and no coplaints.
i think i may put on slotted rotors before this winter and fresh pads (but im also completly rebuilding the front end (steering and suspension)

Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes UD911 Ultimax OEM Replacement Brake Pad: Automotive
Just got a set for the rear wheels on 4th July. It was 37.58 with free shipping now it is back to 49.08. BTW, can I just change pads for one wheel?