X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of coolant to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of coolant to use?

I was looking through some of the other post and one said to only use dex-cool coolant. I just replaced the water pump on my 03' x-type and i just used some Prestone coolant. did i do something wrong?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: What type of coolant to use?

Whoever said USE ONLY DEX-COOL is wrong

Read this thread.. https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_68720/tm.htm

Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

All that post says is YOU use Jag Coolant and Brake fluid.
What is the difference between Dex-Cool and the Jag coolant
or DOT4 brake fluid and Jag Brake fluid?

This article says Dex-Cool is OK:

http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/...al-fluids.html

Do I need to use Jag air in my tires too???

The following 2 users liked this post by JagXV6:
Amy Sansing (02-19-2021), speedwaymike (10-08-2020)
Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Dex Cool is factory fill up from 1996 and up GM vehicles , it's silicate free and Jag coolant is also silicate free and then it might be compatible but I would still go for the Jaguar stuff then Dex Cool .

Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
ud

ORIGINAL: JagXV6

All that post says is YOU use Jag Coolant and Brake fluid.
What is the difference between Dex-Cool and the Jag coolant
or DOT4 brake fluid and Jag Brake fluid?

This article says Dex-Cool is OK:

http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/...al-fluids.html

Do I need to use Jag air in my tires too???
If you can find Jag Air....

If you want to risk your coolant system which is fussy anyways, with anything other than JAG COOLANT then go for it, it's your car not mine and you'll be the one paying for the mistake..Saving a few dollars on the Dex Cool vs paying out later for a new radiator, heater matrix, water pump and other coolant system components because you used something that will eat the insides out, make no sense....It is known that Dex Cool actually is detrimental after a while to the coolant systems of even GM cars.

As I said before and it's on the label of the bottle..the chemicals are different in the JAG COOLANT than the Dex-Cool..WHY?..I don't know, but obviously there is a difference for reasons mention above.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well according to the JAGUAR TSB listed below, Dex-Cool is OK to use:

http://www.wwwboards.auto.ru/jaguar/5301.html

It calls out HAVOLINE Extended Life Coolant as a Recommended fluid
which is the same as Dex-Cool.

Of course anyone is welcome to use what ever they want.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 PM
ud

This is why I caution the use of anything else..but perhaps with proper flushing, one might escape problems..

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef143e0/0

#7 of 23
by 0patience
Mar 04, 2003 (5:06 pm)

If your vehicle did not come with Dex-cool, then[/b] if you flushed it really well, you may be okay.
Dex-cool and other coolants[/b] do not mix. They[/b] coagulate and form a nasty gel that likes to build up in the[/b] worst possible places, like heater cores and pockets in the[/b] head.

Dex-cool is[/b] advertised as[/b] an extended[/b] life[/b] coolant[/b], but read the[/b] fine print. I will also recommend replacing the[/b] coolant[/b] every 3 years, amazingly enough, that is[/b] the[/b] same[/b] interval recommended by ethylene glycol manufacturers.

//

I drained and refilled my coolant system and I am certain that a lot was left in the block, as I needed less than the fill specs called for from empty to refill it..So bottom line, if you are doing this to the X, make damn sure you drain and flush the system to make sure all of the JAG coolant is out..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Dex-col or any coolant that is compatible/suitable foraluminum is what you need to be looking at. The jag engine is aluminum as well as the heads. Using the old coolant from the 90's is not good.

Also when adding water to the coolant for that 50/50 mix (if not already premixed) use distilled water, prevents the build up calcium.

hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I use havoline extended life in my xk. I also read somewhere that any extended life afreeze will work in our newer jags. In my opinion, there are other fluids that are much more sensitive and should be watched more carefully than the antifreeze. thats right, you know what i'm talking about.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

lol, hey bojangles...do i need a bucket of cold water to revive you? lol....

Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also remove a small amount of coolant from you car and mix it with the aftermarket coolant to see if it gels up after an hour.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an emergency situation a few weeks ago and had to use some pre-mixed 50/50 coolant from the local service station.

After reading this, I am sort of freaking out.

SUX!!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

If you're worried, you could always do a drain and refill yourself, its really easy. Will cost you about 1-1/2 containers of antifreeze (the straight kind, mix it yourself) and a couple hours of your time.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Unless you can open the engine drain plug (hidden by the oil filter and hard to remove) you really can't drain the X-Type coolant system. Flushing leaves a lot in the engine.

I think the whole "Jaguar" fluid issue is overblown. Good aftermarket products are good enough. Prestone meets ESE-M97B44-A (JTIS spec) and if it meets the spec it meets the spec.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Sorry Tony, I didn't realize the x-type didn't have an accessible radiator drain plug. Is that correct?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Sorry Tony, I didn't realize the x-type didn't have an accessible radiator drain plug. Is that correct?

The radiator is no problem, it's the engine. The hot and cold lines are along the top of the engine and the water pump is external and high, so when you open the drain plug you don't drain the engine.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Veteran member

We (xk8/XJ owners) accomplish the drain and 'flush' by draining the radiator, then pouring in distilled (or treated) water into the expansion tank, till it runs clear, then we refill. Can you do the same on the x-type?

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (10-08-2020)
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
We (xk8/XJ owners) accomplish the drain and 'flush' by draining the radiator, then pouring in distilled (or treated) water into the expansion tank, till it runs clear, then we refill. Can you do the same on the x-type?
Don't know the exact plumbing on V8 engines, but if you have a front of engine mounted water pump the engine block can drain more completely. You use the WP suction line to drain the block. The X-Type engine has the WP at the back of the front cylinder bank high up. When I drained my engine I could only get about 5 of the 8 litres out. So you want to be careful about adding rad flush and filling it with plain water.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:56 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Doh! Okay Homer!

I’m currently on jaguar number six looking for number seven, so I’ve learned a few things over the decades! If you have a 2000 or newer (Including some 99’s) your coolant recovery bottle will have a sticker on it (Unless it’s been removed) that tells you to use the Ford spec (WSS N97B44-D. Remember Ford owned Jaguar for a while and even now owned by Tata motors they still use a lot of Ford specs.) the reason for that is that is OAT-organic acid based. Any other coolant can clog or damage your engine and even affect the electronics. If jaguar wanted you to use DEX they would SPECIFY DEX!

Mechanics can be like doctors; they’ll recommend whatever the sales person told them to recommend! If it didn’t matter what kind of coolant you used there wouldn’t be so many different types and manufactures would not specify a certain type or your vehicle!

Do you put diesel in your gasoline engine or 85% ethanol?!? Chances are you don’t & there’s a reason for it. Same thing goes for all the fluids in Jaguars!

Quick Reply: What type of coolant to use?