X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of coolant to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

You all are gonna make me do some research now. In my 2006 STR it had the green Prestone antifreeze in it from the previous owner. When I replaced the cooling hose under the supercharger and the supercharger pump I flushed it out really well by adding water and driving then draining until it ran clear and then drained and refilled with 50/50 mix of the same green Prestone. I know of no horror stories, anecdotes, tech warnings or even what mechanism in the prestone will cause damage to a sensor in the cooling system, or the radiator being made out of brass copper or aluminum or a block made out of cast-iron or aluminum that would be caused by green Prestone. The trouble comes from when you mix to different types of antifreeze. So if you don’t do a good flush you are effectively mixing two different antifreezes so that is why you need to do a really good flush until it runs clear. And once you referred the antifreeze you use doesn’t really matter other than environmental concerns that I was produced her workers have to dump it. It’s not like you put diesel fuel in a gasoline car.

So now if you guys have said that the green prestone well ruin my radiator my blocks my sensors and my pumps I’m gonna have to research this because it sounds unbelievable. I’ll update you when I’m finished with my research

Last edited by Aarcuda; 10-08-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 673 Posts

A Hemmings article =

The use of OAT and HOAT coolants can extend the life of rubber coolant hoses, because they conduct less electrochemical degradation or ECD than the conventional green antifreeze. ECD is the process by which the motion of coolant and water through your engine creates an electrical charge similar to a galvanic battery. This electrical charge degrades both rubber and metal parts in the cooling system from the inside out. ECD can be attributed as the cause of many premature coolant system failures. Volkswagen, Audi and other European vehicles use antifreeze that can be blue, pink or red in color. Most of these are available under the brand name Pentosin in 1.5-liter bottles. The pink and red are specifically designed for alloy engines
​​​​​​.

A Jaguar dealer site post =

Every vehicle manufacturer, including Jaguar has developed its own coolant or requires a conclusive coolant that is bizarre to specific years and models. There are colors of coolants to assist (but not the only deciding criteria) in distinguishing types including green, blue, purple red, yellow, and orange. It is difficult to do your research if you plan to buy, flush, or replace the coolant in your car. Many models will not be compatible even with "universal" coolants or antifreeze.

There are myriad types and colors of coolant from inorganic to organic to hybrid. To make things even more confusing, the color of the coolant doesn't always option for the identical thing. It's crucial to reference your Jaguar owner's manual for the specific type of coolant essential and the specific intervals in which you should have a coolant flush service completed.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to use the difference coolant; you have to drain and flush the old coolant out, and use the only new coolant, do not mix difference brands of coolants, they will gummed up in the coolant system and you'll get a big trouble.
About the brake fluid DOT4 is good, you don't have to use the Jag fluid only.

Old 01-07-2021, 04:07 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the coolant originally supplied in the car was Comma SLA5L, if that's any help.