X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels,tires and performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the same color car as Aquill - painted calipers metallic silver since I have silver metallic wheels with polished aluminum lips. They look good (IMHO) with the EBC slotted/dimpled rotors. Not to say Red doesn't look fine....

Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I have the same color car as Aquill - painted calipers metallic silver since I have silver metallic wheels with polished aluminum lips. They look good (IMHO) with the EBC slotted/dimpled rotors. Not to say Red doesn't look fine....
I'd paint them red to draw everyone's attention to the rotors since the rims are already silver....

Old 05-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquill1
I'd paint them red to draw everyone's attention to the rotors since the rims are already silver....
Only if your rotors aren't stock...Otherwise people will be like wtf those things belong on a yaris.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Only if your rotors aren't stock...Otherwise people will be like wtf those things belong on a yaris.
LOL. That's a good one, sadly I have to agree. Why did they make the breaks so small on our cars? They work ok, they just look dinky.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by FearTheLeaper
LOL. That's a good one, sadly I have to agree. Why did they make the breaks so small on our cars? They work ok, they just look dinky.
lol they don't work ok. They are ok when new, but then quickly deteriorate. It has to do with platform sharing. I believe the brakes came off the ford mondeo also. Which I believe is lighter and FWD? So putting it on a heavier car just makes them inadequate.

For comparison, drive a german car made the same year as the x-type and you will see how bad the stock x-type brakes really are.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah, ive rear ended someone when i should have been able to stop, how do i know this, my moms got a 2002 chevy impala, and when i drive that thing, which it wieghs a ton can ( i feel stop better). Compared to my x type, are there any kits/ or companies out there that have made bigger and better breaks

Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
yeah, ive rear ended someone when i should have been able to stop, how do i know this, my moms got a 2002 chevy impala, and when i drive that thing, which it wieghs a ton can ( i feel stop better). Compared to my x type, are there any kits/ or companies out there that have made bigger and better breaks
Hope the damage to your Jag wasn't too bad. But the only real fix is just to keep your distance behind other cars. New brakes will only help so much. Adjust your driving to road conditions and don't tailgate.

And there are AT LEAST 100 different threads on brakes. Just search to get a better idea.

But people seem to like Akebono pads or w/e it is. And others go with EBC Red Stuff. The slotted and dimpled EBC rotors are nice. With those 2 you should be set.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

That was probably the most irritating part of the car for me. I couldn't believe how crappy the abs was in the car. The 94 bonneville I had stopped WAYYYY better than the x-type, that made me mad!

It didn't matter how bad the roads were you could slam the brakes on the bonne and the thing would stop and the abs worked well. In the jag I can't remember how many times I was close with the car (not to cars but other things when I had to make a split decision.)

Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Yea same, the car saved my *** once or twice, but sttill they were very close calls, like inches, and yeah im wokring on the damage, i've ordered parts, and it should be back to good as new soon

Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Once I changed out my tires, my abs rarely goes off. The car just stops faster and doesn't hit the abs threshold on traction. It only goes off if there's snow/ice or I SLAM on the brakes when its raining so hard there are puddles on the road.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

That's what I'm saying though, these are the only times your really need abs and that is when you see how bad the abs is.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 PM

I haven't noticed it. Previous car that I never got to drive was a 91 Acura Legend. That was first generation ABS and they had MAJOR problems. ABS would go off with barely hitting the pedal in some heavy rain and car was undriveable in snow. So jaguars abs is much better my rents say. Plus I drove a minivan for a year before getting my jag. So the brakes on the jag by comparison are really good. They have worked fine for me last 6.5 years. But soon I'm swapping out my brakes.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

The brakes aren't bad by any means (IMO) I think the abs sucks. It's the stomping on the brake pedal when you really need the car to stop and really bite in the pavement that the abs sucks. It just seems like the car slides across the wet/snowy roads when you slam the brakes and the abs should be helping you stop.

You should drive my mountaineer if you want something that sucks when it comes to braking! Stopping at a traffic light is a chore, I feel like I'm getting ready to shift gears I have to push the pedal so far to the floor (pads, rotors and master cylinder were all recently replaced.) The abs works well though! LOL

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by aquill1
The brakes aren't bad by any means (IMO) I think the abs sucks. It's the stomping on the brake pedal when you really need the car to stop and really bite in the pavement that the abs sucks. It just seems like the car slides across the wet/snowy roads when you slam the brakes and the abs should be helping you stop.

You should drive my mountaineer if you want something that sucks when it comes to braking! Stopping at a traffic light is a chore, I feel like I'm getting ready to shift gears I have to push the pedal so far to the floor (pads, rotors and master cylinder were all recently replaced.) The abs works well though! LOL
Any chance it could be that your tires are limiting your braking grip?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps a little, but the abs sucked in both snow and rain. Even my brand new rims and tires were the same.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM

Well I don't know then. My abs is working fine. I haven't rear ended anyone yet and have always stopped with enough distance even during emergency braking. But these brake pads get cooked so fast. Like I do emergency braking once and the brakes r faded for the rest of the commute.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

agreed,

Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...wheelModel=MD8
i dunno if these will fit the X but they would match

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

You should try braking a Jeep ZJ with 33" tires, a 3" lift, and a trailer with a quad on it riding in the back. Even with upgraded EBC slotted and dimpled rotors all the way around, stainless brake lines, and heavy duty pads, you gotta plan your braking waaaay in advance.

Makes the X's brakes feel like a 911's.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by redjagsport
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...wheelModel=MD8
i dunno if these will fit the X but they would match

I think the md7 by moda is the only one that will fit. Moda use to have a really nice set a year or two ago but discontinued it. THat md8 looks nice but as usual they don't fit.

Quick Reply: Wheels,tires and performance