Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does this plug into?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Heck, I knew I was losing it, but now I realise I've lost it

I got the OP and H2O2steam mixed up some where along the line. It's a pity we haven't heard any more from the OP. Particularly as he was asked if he could tell us the wire colours that would help a lot in finally getting to the bottom of this addictive problem

Old 05-23-2021, 03:21 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Where does this plug into?

This could be the basis/title for an ongoing "social" thread here. I know that I checked it daily wondering if the mystery would be solved.

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (05-24-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 08:59 PM

Janet's car just got a full professional detail. I also installed a set of chrome stainless steel moldings on pillars and like them so much on hers that I'm ordering a set for mine.

'hope everyone had a good weekend!

Old 05-23-2021, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 758 Posts

Sorry Astromorg for unwittingly distracting you with my 2.1.
I know my version of X-Type is an outlier as primarily only the 2.5 and 3.0 were released in the US market.
The 2.1 variant sold pretty well in the Asia Pacific region, although I am watching what is coming up for sale here in the 2.5 and 3.0 versions.
Might yet change over to the AWD model once I have my head around the common issues to watch out for.
I spent about 45 minutes on Friday night under the hood and wheel arch trying to dig up an answer on this question with no luck yet.

Yes ...like everyone here....just waiting for some wiring colour codes to be revealed by Andis28 so we can get to work to help.
Andis28 can you enlighten us with the wiring colours at this plug?

Old 05-24-2021, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownKitty
This could be the basis/title for an ongoing "social" thread here. I know that I checked it daily wondering if the mystery would be solved.
me too and I own an 06 STR. Lol

BlownKitty (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

I'm starting to think we may all be on a bit of a wild goose chase here

Looking back through this poster's 8 posts, he only ever asks questions and occasionally a follow-on question. He never says if his problem has been solved and maybe none of them have been, but it would be nice to get some sort of idea of progress for all the members that have tried to help him over the past 4 months to solve his 5 problems.

I've taken the liberty to send him a very polite pm, asking him to come back and comment on the various ideas we've offered and also provide the additional info requested, in particular, the colours of the wires involved and if the car runs satisfactorily with the mystery plug lying loose as it is in his photos.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts

I wonder if someone like motorcarman (an ex jag tech) would be a good source on what this plug does? Bearing in mind it's a 3.0 petrol/gas not a diesel, lol.

nice blownkitty. I like that darker wood for your dark colored paint. Mine is the lighter (maple birdseye?). Then I also installed some contrast piping (matching radiance exterior) I've added more of the piping since these photos around the wood (nav, etc).

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 05-24-2021 at 04:54 PM.
BlownKitty (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
I wonder if someone like motorcarman (an ex jag tech) would be a good source on what this plug does? Bearing in mind it's a 3.0 petrol/gas not a diesel, lol.

nice blownkitty. I like that darker wood for your dark colored paint. Mine is the lighter (maple birdseye?). Then I also installed some contrast piping (matching radiance exterior) I've added more of the piping since these photos around the wood (nav, etc).
AH HAH! I knew that I had seen custom piping somewhere before, it was on your car. Looks nice Dell. You have the same Sapele wood as my '07, Janet has the burlwood that I believe came on Luxury pkg spec cars.

While I'm checking off long overdue and new X-Type projects off my list I might even get around to installing the "Leaper" logo puddle lights that I bought 2-years ago. I bought a set of the 12v and a set of batt powered and found them the other day while searching for the brake caliper decals that I also purchased 2-years ago.

Tomorrow is one of my days off and I'm planning on refurbishing Janet's wheels, hard wiring the Garmin GPS, and installing stainless steel belt moldings that arrived today (her new shift knob should be showing up today too).

Over the past couple of months we considered getting rid of both X-Types and buying 1 new car, after giving it serious thought we decided that we really like our cars and rather than purchase a new car (down payment, monthly payments,and additional insurance coverage), the decision was made to seriously freshen up both X-Type's with a working budget between $2K-$3K. What else are we going to buy that has the classic XJ styling. Visually I see the X-Type as a downsized X350 XJ. Are the newer Jags more advanced.. Of course they are. There's nothing that I want or need (other than 100 or so more ft lbs of torque ) that the X-Type doesn't provide me.

I just heard the mailman drive up

Last edited by BlownKitty; 05-24-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:14 PM

Janet's X-Type with the stainless steel chrome door moldings installed, they really brighten up the side of the car. I hardwired the Garmin through the center AC and tapped into the cigar lighter plug (goodbye dangling power cord). Wrapping up todays X-Type projects I installed the new shift knob, I found this little gem on eBay for $168.00, though there are similar knobs for 1/2 the price, this one is unique and matches the burlwood perfectly. Janet really likes it.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andis28
In my 2002 jaguar x type i have this plug that seems to go nowhere, any idea what it does?

Here are some more pictures of the wires that go into the plug and i tried showing where the wire leads to, thanks for all the input so far I have no clue what it could be.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the extra photos Andis28. Those 3 wires appear to be White, White and Black, but also marked with colored bands. That identification system has never been used in the X type, so I would say, as has been suggested earlier on by Catfondler, that these are part of some non-standard extra gadget or system modification. The connector itself looks like the type used by Jaguar.

Andis, can you also tell us, does the car run OK even though that plug is not connected?
How far back can you trace where those wires come from?
Is there a voltage on any of the wires, with or without ignition switched on?

Old 05-25-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by astromorg
Thanks for the extra photos Andis28. Those 3 wires appear to be White, White and Black, but also marked with colored bands. That identification system has never been used in the X type, so I would say, as has been suggested earlier on by Catfondler, that these are part of some non-standard extra gadget or system modification. The connector itself looks like the type used by Jaguar.

Andis, can you also tell us, does the car run OK even though that plug is not connected?
How far back can you trace where those wires come from?
Is there a voltage on any of the wires, with or without ignition switched on?
The car does run, but it is loud and seems to be misfiring. My mechanic said the ECU needs replacing since its sending a faulty signal to my 3rd fuel injector. Not sure if that has anything to do with this plug though. The farthest i can trace the wires to is the last picture where my hand is pointing towards some silver pipe, I can’t see any farther than that.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:54 PM

The last time I recall seeing "banded" tracer wiring on a Jaguar was on my (RIP) '91 XJ40 XJ6..

Last edited by BlownKitty; 05-26-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts

I question the plug's validity on colors. It appears to me to have the 3 wires I mention that go left (right looking into the engine bay) & they appear to have been spliced in = notice the nontraditional tape as it enters the larger wiring bundle? I think it is the connection I posted above and the plug has been changed in the past for some reason. He even points to where mine is located (under the coolant tank - a bit towards engine).

I wish one of the Jag techs would read this thread and give us a definite answer on what that connection I show connects /does. Bet it would guide the OP.

@Andis28

Have you searched/looked on the engine side for a plug that would plug into this fitting? Might be hanging/dangling down below easy eye level.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Andis28,

You are saying the car is loud and misfiring.
Can you better describe what about the engine is loud?
Is it exhaust noise, intake noise, valve train, bottom end, a rattle, clonking....what is it about the noise that is odd?

The misfiring.....do you get any error codes showing up or a check engine light?

If the ECU (ECM) is faulty, generally the "transistor" that is responsible for driving that particular injector would be shorted or electrically leaky, the result being this it just slams the injector hard on. The effect would likely be the engine would flood, and if it was somehow managing to still run then you would definitely get a engine light coming on as the emissions detected in the exhaust would be way out.
If the ECM is not firing the injector at all, you would simply be running on 5 not 6 cylinders. That would make the engine sound a little rough and be the same as if it had a faulty coil or plug for that cylinder.
Again....any error codes that you can provide will help us to help you.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
Hi Andis28,

You are saying the car is loud and misfiring.
Can you better describe what about the engine is loud?
Is it exhaust noise, intake noise, valve train, bottom end, a rattle, clonking....what is it about the noise that is odd?

The misfiring.....do you get any error codes showing up or a check engine light?

If the ECU (ECM) is faulty, generally the "transistor" that is responsible for driving that particular injector would be shorted or electrically leaky, the result being this it just slams the injector hard on. The effect would likely be the engine would flood, and if it was somehow managing to still run then you would definitely get a engine light coming on as the emissions detected in the exhaust would be way out.
If the ECM is not firing the injector at all, you would simply be running on 5 not 6 cylinders. That would make the engine sound a little rough and be the same as if it had a faulty coil or plug for that cylinder.
Again....any error codes that you can provide will help us to help you.
I cleared the codes and the one that comes back is P0203 which says injector circuit-cylinder 3. The noise is coming from the engine, the car shakes a little bit and the engine is fairly loud. Another thing I noticed is when i press down on the ignition, it revs and sounds like it skips, that means it is loud then goes quiet than back to loud in a cycle, no idea what that could be.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Andis28,

Have you measured the internal coil resistance of the #3 injector and compared it to one or more of your other injectors to see if the resistance is the same?
The P0203 error could be bad injector, shorted or open circuit wiring in the harness, or the ECM not firing that one output.
The injectors all receive 12 volts from the EMS power circuit and the ECM provides a switching pathway to ground to allow the injector coil to operate.
If the coil is good, check to see you are getting 12v to the injector coil connector (prove another injector plug has 12v when ignition on). If coil is good and 12v present to coil, then check continuity from coil plug back through harness to ECM (pin 114 of EN16 Black/Orange wire in my 2005 schematic)

I haven't quite grasped your explanation of "Another thing I noticed is when i press down on the ignition, it revs and sounds like it skips....."
Are you saying you are pressing down on an ignition coil (logically #3) and getting a change in engine behaviour?
Or are you pressing down on the #3 injector and getting a change?

Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
Hi Andis28,

Have you measured the internal coil resistance of the #3 injector and compared it to one or more of your other injectors to see if the resistance is the same?
The P0203 error could be bad injector, shorted or open circuit wiring in the harness, or the ECM not firing that one output.
The injectors all receive 12 volts from the EMS power circuit and the ECM provides a switching pathway to ground to allow the injector coil to operate.
If the coil is good, check to see you are getting 12v to the injector coil connector (prove another injector plug has 12v when ignition on). If coil is good and 12v present to coil, then check continuity from coil plug back through harness to ECM (pin 114 of EN16 Black/Orange wire in my 2005 schematic)

I haven't quite grasped your explanation of "Another thing I noticed is when i press down on the ignition, it revs and sounds like it skips....."
Are you saying you are pressing down on an ignition coil (logically #3) and getting a change in engine behaviour?
Or are you pressing down on the #3 injector and getting a change?
Yeah I replaced all of my fuel injectors and that took it out of limp mode. When I mean that I press down on ignition I mean the gas pedal. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the injectors but I mentioned it incase it does.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

OK, if all injectors have been replaced for new and you are still getting P0203 errors then, you either have:-
1) A wiring harness issue with not getting the ECS switched 12v supply to that one injector
2) A wiring harness issue back to the ECM (ECU) pin 114 of the large connector.
3) An ECM module that is not driving the injector.

Easiest and cheapest solution is to eliminate the wiring first by testing for 12v to troublesome injector.
Turn ignition off so no voltage to car electrics.
Then check continuity from injector plug back through to ECM pin 114 - that should be low ohms (2 ohms or less on a digital meter).
With injector unplugged from the engine harness measure for any shorts between the two wires that feed the injector plug (just in case the harness is shorted out).
If the supply and drive wires have correct continuity to injector, no shorts and no open circuits, then it logically has to be the ECM module that is sending incorrect injector drive signals as you have replaced injectors.
One other final thing you could eliminate is to physically swap over two injectors to prove that you get the same P0203 error. That way you know in your own mind it is not a faulty new injector - outside possibility but you want to rule out this simple thing too.
If the error changes to follow where you moved the injector to then you know you have a problematic injector.