X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find better brakes for our jags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013 | 11:13 PM
|

I just bought the black hart breaks.

Should be here by wednesday.
I've never changed roters or my breaks before, what's the degree of difficulty for doing this?
What tools do I need?
~Boss

Old 05-02-2013 | 11:15 PM

Boss, you said you wanted bigger brakes? unless you change the wheel size you have to stick with what you have, just go for better quality like Thermo,Kindhd, and untouchables said. I used medium quality OReily stuff and was disappointed in the performance, live and learn.
Flyrr100 I like the looks of that set up !

The following users liked this post:
flyrr100 (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013 | 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Boss_Fury
I just bought the black hart breaks.

Should be here by wednesday.
I've never changed rotors or my breaks before, what's the degree of difficulty for doing this?
What tools do I need?
~Boss
Rotors are easy. After you've removed the one screw and swung the caliper over, the rotor should come right off. You may need to give it a little persuasion with a FBH if it's seized on. Don't be scared to hit the rear hard. (thats what she said) It'll come off.
Clean the hub with some brake cleaner and a wire brush. And smear some anti-seize on the rear of the rotor.
The pads are straight forward. After you've taken the screw out and swung the caliper you'll see how the pads come out. Some more anti-seize to stop any rattling and it's the same job in reverse.

The Pistons.
You will need to get the pistons back into the caliper before you can get the pads in. This is where most people have problems. The front piston should just go in using a wrench. The rear pistons need turning in as they are the emergency brake. There are many posts here telling you how to do this. There is a cheap tool at most auto stores. It's a little cube. You clamp it on with a c-clamp and using a screw driver turn the piston in. Both sides turn to the front, So the left side turns anti-clockwise and the right clockwise.

Here's a picture I took when I was doing my brakes last year.

BTW, when I did mine it was the first time I'd ever changed rotors, and only the second time I'd changed pads. Look at the many posts on here and you'll do fine.

Attached Thumbnails Where to find better brakes for our jags?-file-12.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Boss_Fury (05-03-2013)
Old 05-06-2013 | 06:40 PM

Fronts are straight forward, rears follow flyrr100 instructions. I suggest you rent or buy the tool needed at your local parts store. I tried using a c-clamp and some locking pliers to turn the piston in myself and damaged the rubber seal in the caliper ....expensive mistake....

Old 05-08-2013 | 10:19 AM

Apparently you can fit Ford Focus ST (UK) callipers.

There's a thread here on another forum (sorry)

Focus ST 225 Brake conversion...

There is some concern expressed that with bigger callipers and tougher brakes that the xtype will nose dive due to suspension issues.

This guy has fitted standard pads and rotors, so I guess if you upgrade the rotors and pads as well the brakes become too aggressive.

Also this conversion is too big for 16" rims. But I think even 17" rims would be a squeeze.

There's installation pics and part numbers. Apparently the same brakes are used on some Volvos listed in the thread so it may save you having to order from the UK.