X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where's the antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default where's the antenna?

I just inherited an 02 X type (crappy way to get a cool car). The car is great, but the radio seems to get terrible reception. I'd read in some post or other about a nav antenna in the trunk getting knocked out of alignment on a test x type. My car doesn't have nav, and i don't see any antenna in the trunk - in fact I don't see any antenna at all? Anyone know where it is so I can check the wiring?

Also- tried to put a cassette adapter in the cassette player to run my ipod, and it wouldn't work. Is this a British cassette player that won't take an American adaptor or something?

Thanks for any ideas.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

sacrider, the antenna for our cars comes in 3 pieces. If you walk to the back of the car and face the front bumper, look in the rear window. You will see in the glass that there is some wiring imbedded there. Part of that is the defroster, but next to the defroster wires is also the wires for the FM antenna. In the upper left corner of the rear glass (as you are looking over the car) is the AM antenna. This is noted by some wires that only exist in the corner of the glass. There is also a module that connects these two to the radio. This is located in the lower left corner of the rear glass. You will have to remove the interior trim piece and it is located just above the rear deck surface. It appears to be a box about 2x6" (5x15 cm) in size.

As for the cassette adapter, they should all work the same. I would be looking at the volume you have the Ipod playing at as the cassette player does need a minimum volume to make things work. After that, I would say to see if you can find a different cassette adapter and make sure it isn't that. These are normally not the highest quality things made.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I had difficulty with my IPOD cassette adapter at first. I found that sometimes if you flip the cassette over it will work. I think you need to have the IPOD on and playing a song for the head unit to detect a signal and start the playback. I have a Belkin adapter - it does provide very good sound quality.

The radio has crappy reception, period. You can clean the glass, sometimes that helps a little. My only suggestion would be to wire in a booster if you listen to the radio a lot.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 02 has crappy FM reception, sometimes I do wonder if it is getting worse or if budget cuts are causing the stations to lower their transmission power ???

I use a casette adaptor every day, no issues at all. Tape needs to be on Side one.
There is no problem if the IPOD volume is low, the output is just quieter.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

03 X-Type no reception problems at all. Would like to know if anyone has knowledge of where/? for the adapter to connect/convert NAV sys to external DVD player.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GREENHORNET
03 X-Type no reception problems at all. Would like to know if anyone has knowledge of where/? for the adapter to connect/convert NAV sys to external DVD player.
Start another thread or find a thread with the same topic. Just a suggestion to help you get more responses.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

O.K. thanks.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try a different cassette adapter. Strangely, the radio seems to be getting better reception- does this radio have some sort of "learning" feature, or a "locking" feature where it takes awhile to lock onto stations?

The car was VERY dusty when I picked it up- maybe just dirty windows, or maybe clouds or something. Whatever it is, it seems to be working better. My GF listens to different stations, I'll see if she thinks reception for the hip hop stations has gotten better.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

There is some gibberish about a PTY button for the U.K. in the owners manual. It might get better depending on the weather. It will never be great.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM

what's pty and what would a pty button do? could or would it give me better reception?

Thx

Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Nevermind - I had my letters mixed up. This is from a 2001 press release (below) You should have an AUDIO HANDBOOK for your car that explains everything in detail.

In-car entertainment

The X-TYPE audio system is available in Standard or Premium form, both supplied by
Alpine. In both cases, the systems have been custom-designed and acoustically
developed to optimise the audio 'sound stage' within the vehicle.

From an acoustic design perspective, what is heard when listening to music is far
more than the sound emitting from the speakers; it is also the sound that is reflected
off the surfaces of the vehicle's interior. With this in mind, the speakers and their
positions have been acoustically optimised for the X-TYPE's interior.

The 120 Watt Standard system incorporates an AM/FM stereo radio and cassette tape
player, with four door-mounted, 6.5 inch (165 mm) triple-cone, full-range speakers.
The 180 Watt Premium system additionally incorporates a 6-disc CD autochanger,
installed in the boot, and ten speakers: four lightweight, 6.5 inch, mid-bass door
speakers, four door-mounted 20mm dome tweeters and, packaged beneath the parcel
tray, a 6.5 inch long-throw sub-woofer with a passive radiator and integral 35 Watt
amplifier. A 6-disc CD autochanger is available as an option with the Standard
system.

Both the Standard and Premium systems can be controlled from the head unit, using
its large, well-spaced buttons, or (where fitted) remotely from multi-function controls
on the left-hand side of the steering wheel, or via the optional voice activation system.
Steering wheel controls, incorporating switches for phone and voice activation, are
standard on the 2.5 and 3.0 V6 'S.E.' models. Additionally, vehicles fitted with a
navigation system incorporate touch-screen audio controls, accessed via the 'Audio'
switch on the left of the navigation control/display screen.

Both audio systems incorporate the following key functions:

? Automatic volume control (AVC) – increases sound output as vehicle speed
increases (selectable);

? Auto Memory (A-MEM) – automatically searches for and stores the nine strongest
stations on the selected waveband, into preset buttons 1 to 9, or enables stations to
be selected manually;

? Radio Data System (RDS) – assists in locating and remaining tuned to a selected
radio station, including automatic or manual station search and station name
display;

? Traffic Announcements (TA) – automatically changes to local or more distant
(EON) traffic information (selectable);

? Programme Type (PTY) – allows searching of a station type (news, classical, rock
etc);

? Dolby noise reduction (cassette tape mode);

? Tape direction change – by pressing 'Tape' it is possible to change from one side of
the tape to the other while the tape is playing, without having to eject and re-
insert the tape.

The radio antenna is integrated into the rear window, the FM element within the
heater grid and the AM element at the top of the window.