Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whining/humming noise, new thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining/humming noise, new thread

Hi there,
I know there're several other threads, but they got so long and have so many different issues in them that
I couldn't follow very well.

Here's why I'm starting this one:
1. Car: 2003 2.5L manual with 40k miles.

2. Speed: 45-75 mph or 75-45 mph at 3rd through 5th gears.

3. Noise: A whine; rhytmic, cyclical in sound. Changes pitch as car accelerates/decelerates, as if something is trying to catch up with engine rpm vs the wheels.

4. Conditions: Does not make a difference if it is very cold, cold, or warm. I did not have a chance yet to drive in summer heat.

5. I do not do "heel-and-toe," downshifts normally, but did try it to see if it changes anything. I'm not very good at this because it's not my normal practice, but there was some improvement. I cannot think of doing it every single time when decelerating, however.

6. I've read a lot of threads on a number of forums. Some people talk about similar symptoms, but there seems to be a lot of confusion everywhere. Some claim Jaguar knows it, that dealers used to change driveshafts and differentials with no or little success, and now they've stopped throwing new parts at the problem. Others say other things.

7. To get to the bottom of it: is this something to worry about mechanically, as in creating further and serious problems that will need to be tackled in the future, or is it merely annoying as hell but essentially harmless?

Many thanks for your opinions!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: whining/humming noise, new thread

To me, it sounds like maybe your throw-out bearing has gone.....(without being there hearing it...very difficult to diagnose via the internet)
or
It could be your tires just making road noise...(a commaon problem on AWD cars)

Did you just buy the car or have you had it since new?

Old 03-03-2007, 06:16 PM

I bought it last November. Did notice the noise, but in all the glow and wonders of driving this car,
it was a low, low priority. I'm sure you know the feeling.

I do not think it is tire noise, though I do not have a way to be 100% certain; it does have a very, er, "machine" sound to it. A friend of mine had a lathe which used to sound vaguely similar.

It is a directional sound, as much as I can tell, too. Center-forward orientation; from where I'm sitting in the driver's seat, sort of north-northeast if I was facing north. As in where engine meets transmission perhaps?

Thanks racer.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar is known (or at least the X type is) for making a "whinning" noise at speed....meaning at 55+MPH the transfer case humms....this noise sometimes leads to folks thinking it's there tires...or something worse...

Look under your car and make sure there are no oil leaks. If the noise persists, take it to the dealer for a look over. Of you have a gargae, raise the car on all 4 corners and while in gear listen.....

Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

No, the hood is padded pretty good, so you won't hear any of that....

Most likey, it's the transfer case doing it's thing.....
my second guess would be your throw-out bearing...

Also, JFS&G's, look under your car and make sure you have this black "air scoop" should be just under your oil pan right over the oil drain plug. That "scoops" the air as your driving and re-directs it towards the transfer case. If you don't see it, it may have been torn off by road debri. If you don't have it there might have been a good chance your case overheated and some damage occured....if you do see it....you're ok than....

Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 AM

I agree with racer, there is a slight whining noise as i got accustomed to it. I guess as long as no leaks and noise doesn't get worse, i think everything is fine.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

have your local dealer check out the prop shaft on the front. what you described happened to me and that was the cause of the problem.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights4.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  4.3 KB

Hey mac,
soundsoh so similar to my whining noises. I took it to the dealer for them to check out and guess what?.........They found nuthin! Cost me £103 for the privelage though.
I don't know bout you, but mine seems to be intermittent, unfortunately, thats the problem.....lol...........Never ever happens when you take it to the garage.
Its like they know they're at the doctors.........lol

Jim C

Old 03-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Well I did warn ya....told it's probably the AWD system....anyway....
I need to go hide again...

Old 03-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 137

Well, I know....duh...lol
But hey said that thye couldn't find anythin...........so, wait n see at the mo

JC

Old 03-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, it's appreciated.

Well, I'll take it to the dealer, and see how it goes. Let's hope it doesn't do the "at the doctor's" thing and
work perfectly while there!

Btw, no leaks of any kind, and I couldn't find the part you were talking about racer; on the other hand, the lighting wasn't very good when I looked, so it's possible I missed.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 148

Lets know how you go mac?

JC

Old 04-08-2007, 01:14 PM

well, here's some interesting news: the dealer checked it out, and uncertainly speculated it was tire noise. i told them ok, and as you'll remember i changed the tires recently. well, the noise is still there, exactly at the same speed (about 50-55mph). the new tires share nothing with the old ones in terms of tread pattern, compound, design, etc., and obviously balance/alignment was just done with the replacement tires, so either the car is designed to make that noise with any tire at that speed, or it is not the tires at all. let's see what the dealer will say this time...

Old 04-13-2007, 12:15 AM

My dealer hasn't found **** and i took it twice telling them a whining/rattling noise coming from the tranny. I guess there is nothing wrong with it. Then again the loaner they gave me had similar noises....I am beginning to think it is a Jaguar thing...

Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat you are. Made 3 trips to the dealer about the whining noise. Even had a factory rep drive the car. They keep telling me its normal. However, my previous X, an 03 2.5 automatic was dead quiet at speed. Maybe its a 3 liter model thing??

Oldengineer

Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  4.7 KB

Hi oldengineer..........cant be a 3.0 litre thing. My 2.5 does the same thing, although ( touch wood) its been quiet this past month or so..........temp related anyone?

JC

Old 04-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Knock on wood really hard jimbo! It might be a temp thing, but I guess you'll find out when it gets cold again! It's never cold here in Miami so I wouldn't know about temp differences.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  4.7 KB

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05
Knock on wood really hard jimbo! It might be a temp thing, but I guess you'll find out when it gets cold again! It's never cold here in Miami so I wouldn't know about temp differences.
>>> Jim........kicking eight bells outta front door (wood)......lol
Re the "its never cold here in Miami" thing[:@][:@]

Jim

Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Picture it this way. In the summer when you get to chill in 70 degree weather and do all type of **** to your car, I have to deal with 100 degree weather and putting the windows down is no solution for the heat, so God forbid my AC stops working then I'll be sweaty wherever I go!

Quick Reply: whining/humming noise, new thread