Sponsored by:

Whining Noise on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Noise on Startup

ARGH!

I'm mad (and worried)...

I've had the X-Type for about 8 months now. I've been taking it to the dealer everytime for oil changes'n whatnot. They're rather expensive compared to your usual mom'n pop shop. I thought I'd once try taking it elsewhere and see if I can get an oil change done for cheap.

I took it to Jiffy Lube this morning. They changed my oil for me.

I was supposed to drive from Massachusetts to Jersey tonight... I didn't notice the issue initially (all morning/afternoon). When I headed out for Jersey this evening around 7, I THOUGHT I heard something weird when I started the car up. It was very fleeting/momentary, so I ignored it. About half-way through my trip, I stopped at a rest area. When I started the car again, I noticed a very loud whining sound upon startup. It lasted for about half-a-second. It sounded like a high-pitch lawnmower... and the sound lasted about only as long as I had to turn the key/ignition to start the car.

I wish I had something to record the sound with. The best I can describe it is as a high-pitch lawnmower sound.... like a rotor or something.

I'm so annoyed. I KNEW I shouldn't have taken the car there today. I don't know what they did... but the car was working just fine till today. Don't get me wrong, though.... the car runs very smoothly. The only "weirdness" I'm experiencing is this awful sound upon startup.

Any ideas what it could be? All I had done today was an oil-change. They shouldn't have touched anything else. I watched from a distance, of course, there's no way I can see what goes on underneath the car when the guy is down in the basement tinkering away.

I know the only way I can really find out what's wrong with the car is to take it to have it looked at.... but I'm just looking for some ideas/hints. I'm bummed. My awesome car is having it's first "issue".

Those a-holes at Jiffy Lube...

<grumble...>

Couldn't be the battery could it? A weak or dying battery? I hope it's something simple like that. If it's something more serious...

...ARGH!

-Happy (except I'm not really "happy" right now)

Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Default RE: Whining Noise on Startup

oh yeah, i should mention that it's a 2005 with 3.0 engine.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I'd do is check the oil level - make sure they didn't over or underfill it. Check the little airscoop on the bottom of the engine and make sure it was put back on correctly. They had to take it off to get the oil drain bolt out. Next - check the serpentine belt on the front of the engine and make sure they didn't spill oil on it. Also - make sure they put the oil cap back on the engine. If the car is now very low on oil - make sure they got the filter on tight. I don't use Jiffy Lube - don't trust 'em.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

You wouldnt ever imagine how many cars we get from Jiffy Lube where they left filters loose and all the oil drained out.
Taking your car there is almost like leaving your 3 year old with a known sex offender. No offence of course Jiffy Lube.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Sorry....forgot to reply to your concern.

Like oldengineer stated. Check oil level immediatley. Can you be a little more descript with the noise? High pitched lawn mower? I am picturing edward scissorhands getting castrated with a butter knife for that noise. Is it only making noise when the starter engages? Or as soon as you turn key on without cranking engine? Try starting car with A/C turned off. See if it doesnt make it. If it doesnt, turn a/c back on with car running. See if noise comes on as compressor engages.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 AM

good suggestions.

the sound sounded a lot like how willr described... like a starter whose bearings had gone bad...

i haven't gotten any 'check engine oil' type indicators.

i'm trying to get the car back into a shop (a jaguar shop) today.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Happilube!

Please for the love of GOD check your oil level. I have to agree with Bojangles. Instead of blaming Jiffylube, just check the damm oil level. The other members have agreed as well that this is the 1st thing you should do.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM

did you check yet?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM

owners like me?[:@] not once since my last post where i said "good suggestions" did i write that i hadn't, or didn't know how to check the engine oil.

oil level is fine.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way i"d get it to a Jag Dealership and have them diagnose it
Remember in life
"You Usually Get What You Pay For"
So dont skimp on something as important as your Jag,
Nor tust someone to work on it thats making 8.00 an hour either
Dont think he"s gonna have much pride in what he"s doing, not to mention knowledge to
repair or diagnose your car"s concerns

Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Happilute, please don't takeoffence. People just having some fun.

Does noise sound like starter? Change with a/c off when starting car?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happilute, please keep us updated. I hope it wasn't anything serious.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Willr, sounds to me like you've changed or added ATF... do you mind telling us what oil did you use? Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 11:05 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked into all those ATF options as well..the thing that keeps coming back to haunt me was, that these Valvoline Maxlife, Royal Purple ATFs, etc..All meet the JATCO specs, but are not completely compatible with the orginal JATCO fluid..you would have to COMPLETELY drain the tranny and that is not possible..unless you do a power flush..

Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: willr

If the next drain and refill with Valvoline shows an improvement, it would be cheap enough to due it again to lower the ratio of old to new fluid for peace of mind.
I getcha..I was going to do the same thing..drain and refill maybe two or three times with Royal Purple MAXATF Muli-Spec..to really dilute any remaining Original fluid..Should take about 8 qts per fill.

Let me know how it works out..I'm really interested in the results.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM

I dropped the car off at the dealer on Thursday and got it back by closing the same day...

The problem? My starter needed replacing. Apparently, the noise was totally unrelated to the oil-change, and it was justan astronomicalcoincidence that my starter just happened tostart having issuesthe day I got the oil-change done. What are the chances?...

Okay... my apologies to Jiffy Lube for declaringthem a bunch of snakes. [bleh!] Actually, now that I think about it, the lady at Jaguar Serviceoffice (when I first got there and explained the problem)quoted me some statistic that she learned from when she used to be in sales. I don't quite remember what she had said... I think it was something like "for every $1000 worth of oil-changes done at Jiffy Lube, we had to repair one car with a blown engine..." I think that was the gyst of it. Not sure how accurate that is...

Oh yeah, and the good thing was that the repair/replacement was covered by warranty, so it cost me zilch. I would have had a fit if I had to cough-up more $$ as a result ofwhat was supposed to be a simple oil-change.

-Happy (again)

Quick Reply: Whining Noise on Startup