X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am i getting 12.4 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am i getting 12.4 MPG?

Is there something my car needs to get better MPG? Maybe like a oil change or something?

Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by charm11
Is there something my car needs to get better MPG? Maybe like a oil change or something?
Maybe like cleaning your MAF sensor, changing your spark plugs, and trying not to drive around town with a lead foot in Sport mode all the time.

Next thing you know you'll be like "i need a transfer case really cheap"

Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM

lol i dont use sports mode... haha id get like 9 MPG YIKES!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by charm11
lol i dont use sports mode... haha id get like 9 MPG YIKES!
If you just got it, oil change, injector cleaner, run a tank of fuel system cleaner through. Then keep your foot out of it. Dude wasn't joking, the X-Type is an all wheel drive sedan, not hot-rod 2 dr coupe. The transfer case will literally blow the hell up or your transmission will start slipping and then you're looking at more than what you paid for the car to fix it.

If you want a hot rod grab an infinite G35X and run the bag out of it.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
If you just got it, oil change, injector cleaner, run a tank of fuel system cleaner through. Then keep your foot out of it. Dude wasn't joking, the X-Type is an all wheel drive sedan, not hot-rod 2 dr coupe. The transfer case will literally blow the hell up or your transmission will start slipping and then you're looking at more than what you paid for the car to fix it.

If you want a hot rod grab an infinite G35X and run the bag out of it.
My next car!! I want a G35X Coupe so bad! I've come to soon let go of my jag in the upcoming months/early next year. Nothings wrong with it, just reaching high mileage, 61k and want to get SOMETHING back of what I paid for. These cars have the resale value of a dirty diaper. Infinities sound better, drive better than the x. I have to always drive my Jag carefully in order not to blow my transfer case, I want to be able to kick down my car without having to give it a two month break before doing it again in order not to break the TC. A car is made to drive it, not to baby it because it might fall apart if you put the pedal to the metal often.

Also, the ride quality of the X isn't the greatest, ride comfort is iffy at times, road noise like a ****, don't tell me its my tires, I just put on $650 sumitomos on my car at 32 PSI. I do valet as a part time and the infinities are just much a better of a car all around and I have had my eye on them for quite a bit now.

G35, I shall see you soon!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Charm, how fast do you drive? The X is speed sensitive from what I can tell. It like to hover in the 50-65 MPH range. It doesn't do too bad up in the 65-75 MPH range. But, if you have to do a lot of speed changes between say 15 MPH and 55 MPH, that will kill the mileage. I can see a hit in my mileage when I have to do that in my daily drive.

An oil change probably would not hurt. If you want to learn a little bit about the MAF, I found my MAF with the wires slightly bent and it was leading to some lower than normal mileage in my X. Beyond that, if you have been running cheap gas through the car, could be that your cats are getting plugged up too (a can of Seafoam can help this out). BUt, normally the reason for lower mileage is your right foot.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Well i only drive it around town so its usually 30-45 mph and since there are stop lights everywhere its usually stop at light hit the gas accelerate get to 30-45 and the start breaking again.
i just got it like a month ago so maybe it needs maintenance done to it.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM

How do i clean my MAF/MAF sensor... if there is a difference?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something's definitely wrong to get such low mileage. Maybe you should allow the tranny to shift out of 1st gear occasionally.

I've been getting betw 25-28 MPG with my 5-spd manual 2.5 since I got it a month ago.

Heck, I get just under 23 MPG at 78 MPH in my 580 hp Caddy and 19 MPG is mixed driving.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 PM

yeah i was looking through some post up on here about what MPG everyone gets and it was like 18MPG+ so i thought i might as well figure whats wrong with my jag

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXType620
My next car!! I want a G35X Coupe so bad! I've come to soon let go of my jag in the upcoming months/early next year. Nothings wrong with it, just reaching high mileage, 61k and want to get SOMETHING back of what I paid for. These cars have the resale value of a dirty diaper. Infinities sound better, drive better than the x. I have to always drive my Jag carefully in order not to blow my transfer case, I want to be able to kick down my car without having to give it a two month break before doing it again in order not to break the TC. A car is made to drive it, not to baby it because it might fall apart if you put the pedal to the metal often.

Also, the ride quality of the X isn't the greatest, ride comfort is iffy at times, road noise like a ****, don't tell me its my tires, I just put on $650 sumitomos on my car at 32 PSI. I do valet as a part time and the infinities are just much a better of a car all around and I have had my eye on them for quite a bit now.

why don't you get an xf or something?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 PM

or a xkr!
My next car hahaha

Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In my 2.5 manual I average 24-26 mpg. Thats driving 70+mph on the highway and then some around town driving mixed in.

How many miles on your X? Could be time to change the plugs, fuel filter, injector cleaner, etc.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM

i have a automatic 3.0 x type with little over 90,000 miles.
i think i might have my dad do all that since my parents dont trust me with the car haha

Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Charm

Out of interest how much did you pay for the car?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM

me nothing, my parents... like 12k

Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXType620

You've driven a g35 and still want one? Really? The engine is bargain basement and is only slightly better than a 10 year old Hyundai in reliablity and smoothness from my experience.

True the X doesn't ride the greatest but any of the Sumitomos I've put on cars don't ride the greatest either. You gotta figure to how old are your bushings and cushions. My X running on crappy Kuhmo ASXs is nearly as quite as the XJR with OEM Pirelli's on it.

Now to the task at hand.

I'd go in this sequence on your mileage (assuming you have no codes).
1. Air filter
2. Spark plugs,
3. Fuel filter
4. Maf sensor cleaning
5. Throttle body cleaning
6. O2 sensors

13 seems quite low but with all city driving and lots of ethanol in your gas in the city with all stop and go it isn't out of the question depending on your driving style. That said I'd love 13 on my XJR or Tivver. Get 25+ in the x type.

Last edited by benebob; 09-02-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the brakes sticking?!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Charm, to clean the MAF, it is really easy. Just be careful not to get too abusive with the spray stuff as there are fairly fine wires inside of the MAF and spraying directly on to the wires is frowned upon (especially since a new MAF is like $100). All you need to do is remove the MAF from the intake assembly, put the stray of the electronics parts cleaner (don't use carb cleaner) into one of the holes and then give it a little bit of a spray. Make sure to be spraying against the wall and then let it run down. You will see the cleaner run out the other side once you have put in enough. Let it set for a minute. Dump out what fluid is left, spray a little more, let sit and then dump. Let the sensor get nice and dry before you try and run the car else you may get a rough running engine due to the MAF not reading the correct air flow.

As for getting only 12.4 MPG in town, based on how I am reading your post about lots of intown driving and getting only up to 35-45 MPH and then getting on the brakes again. That sounds about right for this car and the VVT timing. This car does not like accellerating. What I would tell you to do is to take a long drive out on the highway (20 miles each way, more if you have the time). Find a stretch of road that you can let the car run at a constant speed of about 65 MPH (anything 55+). Just before doing this run, reset the mileage computer and let it run for this trip. What is your mileage then? That will tell us a lot about the car believe it or not (atleast for me it does).

If you watch the computer as you are accelerating, you will see it stick around about 8 MPG as you are accelerating and then once you get up to speed, you will see it climb more than likely up to something around 20+ MPG. If it is still down around 15 MPG, then we have issues.

Last edited by Thermo; 09-02-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 PM

@dalecan by breaks sticking what do you mean?

@thermo on the highway/freeway it does go up pretty fast i've been on for like 10 minutes at like 55 mph and it shot up to like 16mpg in just those 10 minutes.
i do think it mostly has to do with all the in town stop and go, i figure most people on this forum drive a lot more on the highway than me and thats why they get pretty good gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Why am i getting 12.4 MPG?