X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my suspension guy say this about the X-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

tnzman09, the factory units are manufactured with the bushings as part of the arm. Can you carve the old rubber pieces out and slide something else in there, most likely (atleast on the upper arm). The lower arm has a very unique joint to it and that can not be replaced, atleast on the inside joint. You can give it a try and see what happens. I know I did a little bit of research and going through a company called Energy Suspensions, any bushing that they sold I would have had to modify to make work. Not a difficult thing to do.

If you get any new bushing, make sure that it is a polyeurathane bushing. It is going to last longer than more conventional rubber and will also give a little better feeling to the suspension as it doesn't squish quite as much as more natural rubber does.

The following users liked this post:
tnzman09 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Jaguar x Type Front Rear Full Suspension 22pc Kit Poly Polyurethane Bushes | eBay

That is a full set of polly bushings for the X, but he will sell you any bushings you need, not just the whole kit. I bought a few from him. He ships to the US too. They aren't exactly cheap but they are quality.

The following 2 users liked this post by Justink201:
Cherry_560sel (01-19-2014), tnzman09 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch that's a tad much. Not to mention you either have to have a press to put them in or know someone. Any idea how much the Lower and Upper Control Arms are for the rear? My wife's car has a 'clunking' in the rear (suspension) and I know I need new shocks. I've noticed the rear tires have a "lean in" to them so I assume the bushings are shot.

1) Anyone write up a how-to?
2) Is it difficult? I mean if I can do struts and LCS's on a VW can I tackle this?
3) Cheaper to get the parts from the Dealer or the bushings from eBay?

Thanks!

Doogie

Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Doogie, as for obtaining parts, check out JPLV (dealership out of Las Vegas) as they tend to have some really good prices and have great service. Then you can also check out jaguarparts.com. These people are a dealership out of Cleveland Ohio and will also get you some good prices, but you have to do everything via the internet (calling will result in a higher price). There is also Hennessey Jaguar in Atlanta. If you tell them that you are a member here, they will give you a break in the price. There are some other companies out there that carry select items that you might find of interest.

As for replacing the upper arms and front lower arms on the rear suspension, if you can do lower control arms, then you can do these arms. Remove the tire, undo 2 bolts, the arms fall out.

If you need a step by step, check out:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rol-arm-88530/
This is a write up I did on upgrading the upper control arm to one from a Volvo S40. The benefit of using this arm is that it is adjustable and you can get your suspension to exactly where it needs to be. Doing the lower/forward arm is pretty much the same thing, but you have to use factory parts (haven't found an adjustable unit for there that will work). Besides, between the adjustments on the main control arm and the upper one, you can position the wheel just about anywhere you need it to be.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I have dove into the suspension a little more than most.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Doogie, as for obtaining parts, check out JPLV (dealership out of Las Vegas) as they tend to have some really good prices and have great service. Then you can also check out jaguarparts.com. These people are a dealership out of Cleveland Ohio and will also get you some good prices, but you have to do everything via the internet (calling will result in a higher price). There is also Hennessey Jaguar in Atlanta. If you tell them that you are a member here, they will give you a break in the price. There are some other companies out there that carry select items that you might find of interest.

As for replacing the upper arms and front lower arms on the rear suspension, if you can do lower control arms, then you can do these arms. Remove the tire, undo 2 bolts, the arms fall out.

If you need a step by step, check out:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rol-arm-88530/
This is a write up I did on upgrading the upper control arm to one from a Volvo S40. The benefit of using this arm is that it is adjustable and you can get your suspension to exactly where it needs to be. Doing the lower/forward arm is pretty much the same thing, but you have to use factory parts (haven't found an adjustable unit for there that will work). Besides, between the adjustments on the main control arm and the upper one, you can position the wheel just about anywhere you need it to be.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I have dove into the suspension a little more than most.

Thanks for the word on JPLV and other sites. Very helpful.