Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the X type so maligned?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Why is the X type so maligned?

So my cars live in a subterranean garage under my building. I get 3 spots so my 3 cars all sit next to each other ...I was putting new wipers in the X type and a new neighbor walks by and says "I like your two Jaguars (pointing at the E and XJS) and also your Ford (meaning the X). Now I have a habit of never antagonizing waiters who can mess with your food or neighbors who can mess with your car...so I just chuckled and said, "to me it looks unmistakably like a Jaguar"....he then mentioned how he had read in some magazine how the X type was really a Ford Focus .Since I did not feel like explaining the whole story to him, I just said what I always say to people who tear up the X or S types for being "Fords": (I said) "well, if the car is indeed a Ford you have to admit that it's a great feat of design and engineering that they managed for it to look unique and unlike anything else on the road, where on the other hand you have all these manufacturers today who supposedly have different platforms, but yet manage to churn out cars that all look exactly the same!""

I really don't know what's wrong with people today ( and I just don't mean about the car). The X type is hated, but as soon as Jaguar started churning out euro boxes the car journalists and people start liking those?
I have to say I am confused. I mean, even the headlights on the XF and the new XJ---which Ian Callum so shamelessly called "cats claws" when in rality they are just another one of the hundreds of headlights out there with 2 projectors inside and a clear cover, found in everything from Kia to Audi---even those lights are so common and mundane but people seem to love the blandness and lack of character. It's like the mentality is, the more the car can blend in with every other luxury car out there, the better!"

Now, I am 30 years old and I have been around Jaguars since I was born. I have been in Mark VIII s and XJ40's and XJS and E types and XK150's and series 1 XJ's. I don't make any claims to be any type of expert, but I have a pretty good idea of what a Jaguar is when I see one and sit inside of one. IMO, the X type is aesthetically a Jaguar. From 100 miles away you know what is coming at you. Before I got the X type and got laid of, I considered a new XF. I could never get that feeling with that car.

If people are going to tear up the X type they should tear it up for its bad tranny/transfer case, and not for its looks. If people on one hand like the lame generic designs of today and on the other hate the more unique styling they must either be blind or tasteless.

Rant of .

The following 4 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Bad Cattitude (09-12-2013), nilosjag (11-16-2013), Redthing (10-18-2013), Stuart Beattie (09-10-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't know that I have ever come across a hatred of the X, maybe more misunderstanding. Anyone that feels it is not a REAL Jaguar can think whatever they want. Most of the time people just think that it is more expensive than it is, which is just fine with me. Still think it is one of the best kept secrets out there. The cars got a bad rap with the early models for some quality issues, arguably justifiably, that Jaguar didn't address properly. Then as the model years went by they continued to pretty much develop the cars less and less. By 2004-2005 they seemed to be much more reliable and after that until the end the cars were unchanged, like Jaguar forgot about them. Although such a shame when you consider what potential an entry level sedan for them could be, it is an absolute gift to people like us that are able to but a great looking, reliable, fun car that really stands out for practically nothing.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-10-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

This should give you lots to read

Jaguar X-TYPE Research All Models and Prices - MSN Autos

If you read the reviews most people that have them like them. Many of the people that don't like them really don't like the dealers. Jaguar dealers are used to high end customers (lawyers and doctors) who feel cheated if they don't pay $1,000 to change a light bulb. The low price of X Types brings a different kind of customer.

The press hate the car because of the Ford connection, i.e., in Europe Ford is "cheap" and in the US it's "common". But remember the Duratec engine in these cars was originally designed by Porsche and my understanding Cosworth did design on the Jag heads. It is a marvellous, albeit mass production, engine. The X Type was the first AWD Jaguar and look at the AWD Jaguars today.

Sadly though the X Type has several fatal flaws; the Xfer case, the auto transmission and the rusting sills.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The X-Type is a Ford Mondeo in a frock!

Well, that's what someone said on some forum once. If I remember correctly, it shares 19% of its components with the Mondeo. Thing is, nobody really knows that, they just go by what someone has said to them. Also, 19% is hardly much considering that the S-Type shares 40% of the components with the Lincoln LS.

I love the styling, I like the engine. Apparently, it pretty much shares just the block with the Ford Duratec. The "X400" was really properly developed and all, but the stupid masses & their media ruined it market-wise.

Here's a massive article:
The cars : Jaguar X-TYPE

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's due to a compounding of factors. The 2001 to 2003 cars had a ton of quality and reliability issues. That, coupled with the low quality plastics used in the interior and the quick fall off in sales caused the negative perception to build in the marketplace - dismissing it as being just a Ford in Jaguar clothing is part of the rationalization to explain why it's such a "bad" car.

Most people don't realize is that the X-Type has a lot of brilliant engineering, and that the Duratec engine was designed by Porsche and used in everything from Ford Taurus and Mazdas to Aston Martins. The initial model years of the X-Type were simply poorly executed, but by 2004, about a thousand parts were re-designed and it's an entirely new car under the skin. Quality control at the factory also improved to the point that in 2004, the Jaguar factory that builds the X-Type won a JD Power quality award for biggest jump in quality.

I have a friend who bought a 2002 and had chronic problems with it. One time, I looked up the codes for her check engine light and saw 12 failure codes simultaneously listed! Another friend of a friend had a 2002 model that left him stranded 4 times before he sold it. In contrast, my 2005 has been flawless so far (knock on wood). I've had zero issues in 55,000 miles, and it's never been in the shop. In 2008, Jaguar was ranked #1 in JD Power's 3 year old quality study (measuring the 3 year reliability of 2005 models across all car brands). Though some weaknesses remain (like the "filled for life" transfer case and the hassle of Jaguar specific fluids), there's a world of difference between the newer and older X-Types. For those that know cars, the 2004+ models are the best kept secret in used car values out there. These models suffer from the resale stigma of the earlier, less reliable models, but are worlds apart in terms of their build quality and reliability. I bought mine in 2008 as a 3 year old model for $14,000. It's the best used car I've ever owned...Actually, scratch that...it's one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Let people think whatever they want to think. The ones that "know" peripherally about cars are going to be the ones who malign it. The majority of people I come across don't know cars and think The X-Type is much more expensive and prestigious than it is. They come away impressed after driving in it.

Last edited by MattSteele; 07-14-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

"....he then mentioned how he had read in some magazine how the X type was really a Ford Focus

You could enquire if Aston Martins are any good?
Then just mention - " Just another car with Ford engine!"

Ford Duratec Engine Series: from Mondeo/Contour 2.5L V6 to EcoBoost and Cyclone V6, and now, Duratec I4
Distant Cousin: Aston Martin V12

The Aston Martin V12 shares many designs with the Duratec 2.5L, but contrary to some reports, it is NOT two Duratec 2.5L engines linked together. However, it is designed by Ford Research, and it does share the 6750 RPM redline with the Duratec 2.5L.
The Aston Martin V12 was used in the Aston Martin Vanquish. It generates 454 HP, very impressive for an engine that required rather minimal developement.

The Vanquish S pushed the engine up to 514 HP, a true supercar engine.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

in my opinion i feel the tranny and transfer case are great compared to my wifes BMW 528 i xDrive were on the 2nd case,under warrenty
my 02 xtype runs sweet...its a lack of maintanance ...i give a alot of respct to the x-type,for what it is

The following 2 users liked this post by dennis black:
JagJDB (09-11-2013), Stuart Beattie (09-10-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tired of hearing about it, frankly...

I too am tired of hearing about they X Types being bashed for all sorts of baseless reasons. Any new car has issues, maybe not so much now but all cars have problems. The current page on Jalopink even has a piece on the "Ten cars that shouldn't have made it to production", which I resent. I love my X and put her in the same category as any BMW, Merc, Lexus, etc. And like a good mistress, she needs a bit of attention every once in a while...who cares what others think!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfflyer
I too am tired of hearing about they X Types being bashed for all sorts of baseless reasons. Any new car has issues, maybe not so much now but all cars have problems. The current page on Jalopink even has a piece on the "Ten cars that shouldn't have made it to production", which I resent. I love my X and put her in the same category as any BMW, Merc, Lexus, etc. And like a good mistress, she needs a bit of attention every once in a while...who cares what others think!
Best description of our "Lady X's" True in every word.

The Dr!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

That sir, was an excellent rant...!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I purposely keep my wife away from all "X-bashing". She thinks her X-type is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And as a mater of fact, so do I. The pittance we paid for our pristine, well-maintained, 10-year-old car with 128m miles on the clock leaves plenty of room for repairs when and if needed. What other automobile, this fine, can you buy for anywhere near the money?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:23 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

When I had my 03 X-3.0 from new..it was a real learning experience and it all began at the dealership when the service manager said the fluids was a "Filled for Life" concept...Well right then and there I knew this had the makings of disaster written all over it...So the thing I learned was..To be VERY, VERY proactive and preemptive with maintenance and up keep...Staying with that resolve, the car never failed me and was running tip top the day I sold it 8 years later..Since then, the dealers have also learned and changed their tune about things regarding X-Type maintenance..But remember, this was Ford's Baystard Child to get entry level buyers into the Jaguar lines...And in doing so, they cut some corners.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Honestly, I don't think there is much wrong with the trannies that as with other all wheel drive cars, constant fluid changes, same tires around and religious rotation won't fix. The problem was with the lifetime fluid, failure to tell owners and dealers (used to rwd vehicles) that awd creates a ton of heat, awd with tires that aren't matched creates even more heat, heat is bad for fluid which in turn is bad for the tranny or transfer case.

Was happy to pay 6k for my 05 4 years ago though and don't have to worry too much about the tranny as it is a manual, just need to keep the wife from burning out the clutch as I don't really want to pay to have the clutch replaced in it since I can't drop the engine and tranny in my garage sans lift.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I've also gotten a lot of "nice Taurus" or "its just a ford" comments. I don't mind them. I just say, I still drive a Jaguar, for the cost of owning a Ford. How can that be a bad thing? I also get a lot of people who are shocked at how little I paid for it, and think it cost 2 or 3 times as much. I also get a few odd looks when I tell people I picked my X type over a BMW 540i...but I'm glad I did. My only complaint with my X type...its not a wagon. I wanted a wagon so bad...but they are not cheap, and are all auto...I HAD to have a 5 speed.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home Again

I leased a 2003 2.5 litre automatic in October, 2002. Put 118,000 miles on it in 4 years. the fuel pump died 3 miles before the warranty expired. I bought it at the end of the lease, ran it all the way up to 176,000 miles, and never did anything more than regular maintenance before I sold it as part of my divorce (because my soon-to-be ex-wife didn't want to make the remaining payments on the Saab 9-3 I had bought in my name for her). Best car I ever owned. I never liked that Saab, so I'm giving it to my 16-year-old daughter. Earlier today I signed a contract to buy a 2005 3.0 litre VDP edition, and I couldn't be happier to be back in an X-type. The folks who malign it - especially the knuckleheads at Time Magazine who likened it to a Cadillac Cimarron - are just plain wrong.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed. Between my wife and myself since 2007 we've owned new Acura TL, Mercedes C 280 an X Type and a 2010 XF. I find the X Type the most interesting among all cars I've owned. Other than the X Type the other car I liked in the same way was my 2000 Acura Integra GSR Sedan. My dealer on several occasions has now rented me even brand new Mercedes C 300 as loaner cars when servicing my X. So here are some reasons why I like my X:

- styling. If you're buying the X, looks matters. Plain and simple. I still find it to be one of the best looking cars around.

- I work in high tech and I love the elegant simplicity of the interior. I got mine with the ACM and Bluetooth and the way the whole system works with my phone and iPod is simple yet totally functional. TL had great audio but to me the Alpines on the X puts out very clean sound.

- the only reason people complain about the plastics is because it is contrasted with the leather and wood. The overall internal finish is superior to the current C Class Mercedes and my 07 X has fewer rattles than my wife's XF.

- Because I am mindful of the transfer case now I drive a little carefully. But for the most part the engine in the X is very responsive. Much better than the TL that sold as a sports sedan and even the handling in the X is better.

So yes. I do agree that it is a much maligned car. However, it did marry the best in styling and engineering of Ford and Jaguar and those who accuse it of a rebadge have probably never driven Toyota's and Lexus. Now that is rebadging with great marketing!

The following 2 users liked this post by aluni2230:
Stuart Beattie (09-10-2013), Trooper2142 (04-01-2014)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a first time Jag owner. A 2004 X Type 3.0 auto with 143,000 on the clock when I bought it. I've only had it 2 weeks. I am the second owner. The interior looks absolutely new. The body is also exceptional with just a few rock chips on the hood. It's been well maintained.

I washed, clayed and waxed it, changed the oil and filter, installed new tires, replaced the PCV and fuel filter, cleaned the mass air and headed for the US Nationals in Indy (a 500 mile round trip from St Louis). 98 degree ambient, the Jag ran cool at 70mph, a/c on and it returned 25mpg. It is free of rattles, handles almost as tight as the 99 Cobra I had, shifts are crisp and it's more comfortable than any car I have ever owned and just makes me feel good. I have not had this level of passion for a vehicle in quite some time.

Folks think I spent a ton. "you're driving a JAGUAR????" Yup. As stated in an earlier post....for a pittance. What a value. After much research I chose the X over BMW's, Mercedes and the like because of its looks and its personality. And that little growl from the cat when you stab the throttle!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Has anyone ever stopped and asked what the haters were driving? Chances are the offending people are probably driving a POS themselves. Just say something back about their wife or girlfriend, it's the same thing.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

So, my conclusion is that the ford connection is the problem.

I recently joined up with two "car guys" from work. one is is a Citroen fan (rare in Toronto) the other a Saab guy. Citroen man has 2cv and an SM, superb cars both, but not my cup of tea. His daily driver is a pontiac aztec. The Saab guy has a viggen convertible. Again a superb car. Both sort of made derogatory comments about my X along the lines of " its a ford, blah, blah..." - "Jaguars answer to the Cadillac Cimarron"etc.

So at this point , i understand these guys have never driven an X, just "googled" their opinions froma couple of on line articles. And that works for me. I agreed, told them how wonderful their cars were and left thankful that I was behind the wheel ofa car that didnt require a new subframe welded in every 4 years (2cv), hadn't been hopelessly passed by the onward march of progress ( the SM), and didn't have a dogs dinner of faded cheap plastics and leathers in the cabin (the Saab).

It slightly bugs me that only "car" people are disparaging. Non car people seem less inclined to demolish the car without ever so much as sitting in one, and usually are quite positive when they do take a ride.

So it must be the Ford connection. Yet, for me, I have driven and loved many Fords - from cortina,s through sierras and mondeos and fusions. And a particular favorite, an ex girl friends mk 2 Fiesta. So for me, that connection works just fine.

As for Tata, do they make those autorickshaws? I Had a good experience in the back of one of those too in Goa around 20 years back!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Nobody has made such comments about my car, though I would probably just retort with something funny like "and because the X-Type has 19% Ford parts, it's 19% more reliable than older Jags!". Or perhaps "u jelly?"

"Car-people" nigh-always consider their own car-choice the ultimate best. Some are sincere, but a lot of the time it's just convincing yourself of how you made the right choice. Also, it's been researched a bit recently that the less people know, the more adamant they tend to be with their opinions.

I haven't driven a Pontiac Aztec (my eyes bleed at the thought), a 2CV or an SM (the SM is fairly cool, but both are hideously outdated to be suitable daily drivers). I can't imagine wanting either more than an X-Type. The Viggen convertible, which I'm assuming to mean a Saab 9-3, is an Opel/Vauxhall Vectra underneath! Well, not to stoop into the "it's just a Ford"-people territory, so I recall hearing it's actually just something like 30-33% Vectra. That's still 1.5 times as much as the X-Type is a Mondeo, and I'd far rather have a Mondeo than a Vectra...

As a dashing show of "my car is better than any other car" cognitive bias, while it was in for a regular 80k (km, not mile) service last friday, I had a Range Rover Sport as a loaner. It was a 2006, with the Jag-made 4.2 supercharged V8. All in all, a superior automobile by any standard other than aesthetics (subjective) and fuel consumption (not subjective), yet despite being genuinely excited at the idea of driving it, the only thing I liked about it more than the X-Type was the amazing engine. I was actually looking forward to getting the Jag back.

Quick Reply: Why is the X type so maligned?