Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window screen Cowell

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Window screen Cowell

Does anybody know

Should my window screen / shield cowell have a water tight seal at the window screen to stop water running underneath and into the bulk head?

I've tried googling images but it just brings up pictures of Simon Cowell..... that was scary !!!!

The following users liked this post:
muad'dib (03-13-2022)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Usually called a COWL but also known as a SCUTTLE.

Graham

Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The scuttle panel does not make a water tight seal to the windscreen, it just sits flat to it.
Most of the water that gets underneath gets diverted to the sides by the scuttle panel underside lip, this lip is retained in to the groove strip of the lower windscreen edging strip.

The scuttle panel lip is notorious for breaking towards each end, so causing the scuttle panel to lift at the ends.

Paul.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:08 AM

The panel seems to be buckled, it doesn't sit flat to the screen at all. The paint shop must have had it out last year as since I got it back there's been a leak in the drivers foot well, but didn't spot it till it was swimming about 6 months after. Can the lip be replaced and is it independent to the screen / cowl, or would it be simpler just to throw a load of silicone down to completely water seal it?

Last edited by Hex Type; 06-11-2020 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:54 AM
GGG

Here's the relevant extract from JEPC showing the seals:

Not suprised it was hard to find. JLR call the cowl/scuttle a Windscreen Finisher!

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Hex Type (06-12-2020), Marcus petet (04-27-2024)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 AM

There can be several places that can cause water ingress, water can get in due to drainage issues under the scuttle panel area (bulkhead).
On diesel models, the drainage channels that are located behind the inner arch splash shield, have additional insulator bungs in the drainage outlet, and this makes silt back up.
This then causes flooding of the bulkhead which flows over in to the cabin air filter, so wets the passenger carpet.

Sounds like the buckled scuttle panel has highlighted this issue.

Paul.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:25 AM

I don't have part 2 the seal at all. I have siliconed down part 4 & 5 as these were just placed loose on the wing so not ding anything. I did remove the plastic bags behind the inner arch covers entirely as they were blocked and backing up onto the bulkhead causing water to run into the air vent. I've now replaced the air filer housing seal with silicone and lengthened the top of the box by attaching a plastic strip about 2 inches wide all across the top of the box. I need to work out what that part two seal does and try and fabricate something there. Will have to see if the underside lip needs some sort of work to, building up in some way or get the old silicone out and seal the lot down.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:30 AM

AFAIK part 2 was only there on early x types, I have never seen that part on either of my cars.
Part 4 and 5 have been updated for dense rubber versions, the original versions were more of a rubber sponge type, and held water, so stayed soggy.
These parts are just fillers for the end mouldings of the scuttle panel.

Paul.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:34 AM

Part 4 & 5 are a sponge type that are soggy on mine. Just wondering looking at the diagram should they be seated under the actual edges of cowl as mine seem to be at the side of it with a bit under, could that make the cowl potentially sit uneven and cause the uneven buckle in the fitting? I might have a go at pulling them up to see if they make any difference to the fit next week when the weather bucks up. I don't want to tempt fate but it seems by extending the cover over the air intake under the cowl seems to have reduced or hopefully completely fixed the leak. I'm hoping replacing the filter housing foam seal with silicone and adding a 2 inch width flat plastic bar right across the top of the filter box is now deflecting any water away from entering the cabin and its a combination of measures that's fixed the problem. It doesn't seem to be getting any wetter. So far.!!

Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 AM

Leaking in the corner through the rubber seal

Hi Guys I'm bringing this post up again to give everybody a heads up on what Id found. Spent ages trying to work out where the water was leaking into the drivers foot well, thought it could have been through the air intake under the cowl and spent ages waterproofing that area, but now I've found the issue (I hope) the water is coming through the rubber door seal at a fair rate that could sink the Bismark.!! That puddle was from an hours rain fall this morning. I still cant work out where the pool on the left forms from but are now trying to discover by blocking the path way off from the door seal now to the left side and have opened the drain plug to allow the water to run away. I can only assume the water runs across from right to left when wind or something rocks the car, as you can see its dry in between. I still think there's something missing from the wing, that's the wing that the body shop replaced where its leaked since. I've got to try and work out now how the water should drain from the inner pillar away from the door seal and then effect some sort of repair / diversion. The rubber around the area hasn't perished I think its just being overwhelmed with sheer the volume of water, but if anybody has come across a problem like this before, or has a schematic your help would be greatly appreciated..

GGG (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 05:45 AM
GGG

That IS a serious volume of water.

Rather than being REACTIVE after rain, have you tried PROACTIVELY getting an assistant to spray wing, door and gaps in turn with a hose whilst you observe for water leakage from inside the car? This should help identify the source. Also, are the drain holes in the bottom of the door clear?

Many years ago I had an annoying leak on an XJ6 Series One boot. I persusaded my wife-to-be to climb inside with a torch and I hosed the lid with water. She:
1. didn't complain
2. found the source of the leak (through a spot weld)

She hasn't been asked to repeat that particular performance but has subsequently been an excellent engine removal and brake bleeding assistant. This essential combination of trust and expertise is probably why we're still married forty years later!

Graham

Old 07-03-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
That IS a serious volume of water.

Rather than being REACTIVE after rain, have you tried PROACTIVELY getting an assistant to spray wing, door and gaps in turn with a hose whilst you observe for water leakage from inside the car? This should help identify the source. Also, are the drain holes in the bottom of the door clear?

Many years ago I had an annoying leak on an XJ6 Series One boot. I persusaded my wife-to-be to climb inside with a torch and I hosed the lid with water. She:
1. didn't complain
2. found the source of the leak (through a spot weld)

She hasn't been asked to repeat that particular performance but has subsequently been an excellent engine removal and brake bleeding assistant. This essential combination of trust and expertise is probably why we're still married forty years later!

Graham
In a normal world I would spray the car as you said, but its parked about 60 meters away from the house and were on well water so no pressure for hose.

If id persuaded my ex missus to get inside while I sprayed water to find the leak, it would have been too tempting to lock the doors and keep filling it...

I thought id fixed it to be honest, but each time I think its solved it seems as if to spring in from somewhere else, its coming in with some force though today with this rain.
I've traced it to the drivers door, as the photo shows it coming in over the rubber but I'm not sure how it should drain away. The door plug holes seem clear, and the door doesn't seem to be holding much water, so I don't think its that, seems as if the water is running between the two door seals inner and outer and getting stuck, then overflowing into the cockpit. There must be a drain / soak away somewhere in that vicinity that is bunged up or blocked somehow.

Congratulations on 40 years BTW not many can say that nowadays

GGG (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 11:04 AM

So after a nice shower stood out in this pouring rain I think I've cracked it.. but we've been here before.!
The water is running down the door gutter seal and coming into the door by where the gutter seal meets the mirror, waters dripping into the inside of the door, and down all the electrics coming out through the bottom and getting trapped between the two seals so spilling into the cockpit. Firstly, I've turned the car round and parked it on a slope so the water runs backwards and away from the mirror until its dries up (hopefully over the weekend) when I can seal the gap up and put a plastic sheet inside the door to take the water to the back of the door where the drain plugs are and protect the window motor and lock etc...
Looks like a new gutter window seal is going to be needed and will have to ensure it fits properly into the mirror aperture.

GGG (07-04-2020)