X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My step-parent was the chief of police for many years.. I would not recommend exceeding the law when it comes to the tint. Police departments do have electronic sensors that can read how dark a window tint is and can ticket/fine you accordingly.

Besides, I think a limo tint on a passenger car as a bit cheesy.

I wanted to tint my windows (just a bit) so you could get a little extra privacy without going all blacked-out, like a drug dealer's car, and come to find out my windows were already tinted! They are the faintested blue color (it says on the glass it is "tint ... 3"). I think it looks pretty cool with my quartz exterior. Personally, I'd go with a light tint.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

meh, i guess its personal chioce

Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few pics of my car after window tinting.

The tint is 35% all around ,however i feel its light, but it still looks great in my opinion. I havnt had a chance to install the rear deck back, i had to take it out myself because it saved me a few bucks ;-)

Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

wow, thats does look like light, i was going to go with 25 or lower up front, but i wonder what 25 looks like

Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

DiscoStu,

I have 5 percent on the back 3 windows and windshield of my Stealth and 20 percent on the front doors.

It is rediculously dark.

The car has been in storage for 7 years, so I haven't driven it in quite sometime.

Anyway, from reading your posts, I believe I read that you were 16 or 17.

It was reason enough for cops to pull me over when I was young, a young kid in a nice car. I would highly recommend following the local laws. I would get pulled over at least once a week, by the same cop. If you have one officer that is on a power trip, he will harass you undeniably.

I actually got a "medical excuse" from my opthamologist which got me out of about 20 tickets. Though, I came across a State Trooper, who took it and ripped it up.

So, you are basically playing roulette every day. If you have the money to spare to pay window tint tickets, then go for it.

I will say that it is very difficult to see out of the windows, both the 20 and 5 percent. At night, especially in the winter, I would sometimes need to put the window down.

If your vehicle needs to be inspected, inspection shops will not pass if your tint is above the legal standards.

Also, the price you quoted seems a bit high to me. My Stealth was done for $200. That included the front window strip and a one piece rear window (I would highly suggest a one piece rear window). The darker the tint, sometimes the more expensive it gets.

Just my $0.02, show us when you get done.

Dark tint does look fantastic in most instances, but it comes with a risk.

Also, the reason why some cops are so addiment about ticketing dark tint cars, is because it really is a safety issue for them.

Anytime I was pulled over, I would turn on the interior light, put all the windows down, and place my hands on the steering wheel until the officer came up. By turning on the interior light, it will allow the officers to see in a little better. I would highly recommend this, and the officers will appreciate it as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
wow, thats does look like light, i was going to go with 25 or lower up front, but i wonder what 25 looks like
There is no such tint shade.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, forgot they don't come in 25, but thanks stealthes, thats actaully really helpful. I had the same sthing happen to me, some stupid cops glared at my car for 10 minutes, ( i was following all the rules) and just suddenly pulled me over, after a thorught investigation and search, and asking questions aout my parents, i asked what was wrong and i quote this is waht they said O, yeah, your license plate looked off" i was going to snap, they made me late for class, on exam day. It really pissed me off, and it looked like thy were having a **** day, by there facial expressions and what not. But i think i am going to go all out, ill keep you tips in mind.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:34 PM

I am back visiting my parents and passed the officer twice that used to always pull me over for window tint.

Passing him reminded me of this thread.

What did you end up doing?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Waiting for the shop to get back on top of things, they won't be tiniting for the rest of the month, there over loaded and back up about 30 cars, but i have decide, all go as dark as i can on the rear, and up front ill get a fairly dark shade, just enough that you can't see the persons face.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Disco, I just installed 20% tint on my Jag. I think that is about right for the car. It doesn't really hurt the ability to see out of the car (even at night), but is dark enough to make it difficult to see inside. Can't say that I have seen any benefit in reduced interior heat from sitting in the sun all day. But then, having the British Racing Green body, that doesn't help as I can feel the heat radiate inside the car with the A/C off.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah thats what i was thinking., but my cars balc, and its already bad when i come out of work and sit in aht ehot seats. Can you take some pics so i can se what it looks like?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Disco, let it stop raining and I will see what I can do about getting you a pic. I'm getting ready to pull the chrome trim off and paint it black to help with the final look that I am going after. So, there will be more pics coming soon of that project too.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

kk thanx thermo, im starting to seriously look at mine too, i'm just picking out all the things that i'd like done for this summer for sure ( grille, exhuast, tint, and maybe repaint the hood, on top fix everything worng with it)