X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield defrost not blowing air on the windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield defrost not blowing air on the windshield!

Car is not blowing air on the windshield when the button is pressed. Instead it blows hot air at my feet. It seems like there should be some sort of flap that is suppose to divert the air and its not doing it. All other vents work fine except the defrost. Please tell me this is simple to fix.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 541 Likes on 353 Posts

With the AC running, you could try a recalibration of the flap stepper motors as described by Jaguar as follows;

• Select full cooling (Lo)
• Select full heating (Hi)
• Back to full cooling
• Select face followed by floor
• Then select face again
• Finally select defrost
If there is any doubt, then a battery reset should be completed; wait two minutes before reconnection.

The following users liked this post:
bracester (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by astromorg
With the AC running, you could try a recalibration of the flap stepper motors as described by Jaguar as follows;

• Select full cooling (Lo)
• Select full heating (Hi)
• Back to full cooling
• Select face followed by floor
• Then select face again
• Finally select defrost
If there is any doubt, then a battery reset should be completed; wait two minutes before reconnection.
I will try that as soon as I get home from work.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Unfortunately this did not work. I went underneath the passenger footwell to see if I can find anything or hear anything. When switching between settings I can physically hear stuff happening except for when I put it on defrost. It switches to blowing down instead of up.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

From your description, it sounds as though the stepper motor for the defrost flap is disconnected or has a faulty connection or is defective. It could also be a broken drive connector between the motor and the flap or even that the flap is seized but that's least likely.

All the stepper motors are powered directly from the Climate Control Module, so if the others are operating, there is not a fuse/supply problem.

The triangular layout of the three flap stepper motors can be seen on the righthand end of the central airbox. The defrost motor is the top one nearest the engine. You might need to remove the air trunking that gets in the way, but that's self evident , and the motor itself is held by three screws. Once it's out you should be able to work out what the problem is!!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM

From your description, it sounds as though the stepper motor for the defrost flap is disconnected or has a faulty connection or is defective. It could also be a broken drive connector between the motor and the flap or even that the flap is seized but that's least likely.

All the stepper motors are powered directly from the Climate Control Module, so if the others are operating, there is not a fuse/supply problem.

The triangular layout of the three flap stepper motors can be seen on the righthand end of the central airbox. The defrost motor is the top one nearest the engine. You might need to remove the air trunking that gets in the way, but that's self evident , and the motor itself is held by three screws. Once it's out you should be able to work out what the problem is!!
Just to clarify, you are referring to the mechanism that is visible when you look under the passenger side footwell? For instance, if I remove the glovebox I should be able to access this motor on the left hand side correct?
When I looked under there I saw three motors in a triangle formation, and by your description the top motor is the potential culprit. Before I fiddle with this could you just verify what I am looking at is what I'm suppose to be looking at?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Well, I think I have a problem. All actuators work. When I tried to turn the blend door with a screwdriver the entire knob pushed through. I assume that this indicates that the door itself is broken and the entire unit must be replaced.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Passenger side for LHD, driver's side for RHD. Depending on your size and agility (!) you shouldn't need to remove the glove box, just the air trunking that I mentioned earlier.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Astromorg, what is the bottom stepper motor for? I'm also having a problem wherein i can smell the smoke from the outside. It seems like my recirculation button (not opening and closing to get fresh air- mostly likely stuck in open position) is not working and im not sure if that motor is for.

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to be so long in responding - I've been on vacation for the last week.

HarryC, it may be that you've just pushed a bit too hard, flexed the flap and allowed the the shaft to fall inside. Have you tried to 'fish' for it and get it back - better than trying to replace the unit - that's a big job!

LarMan, the bottom stepper motor is for the blend door - that controls the temperature of the air by allowing the right amounts of cold and hot air to get what's wanted. The third motor regulates the distribution between the upper panel and the floor.
The recirc motor is not a stepper motor - it's an ordinary electric motor and is situated on the other side of the central unit to the stepper motors. It has been quite common for it to disconnect mechanically from the flap spindle and requires to be glued back in.

Last edited by astromorg; 03-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

As stated above, look for the Triple XXX and the specific options on your car. The Triple XXX is now owned by Pilkngton Glass. They are world wide and do domestic and Asian cars cars OEM glass (Toyota). Many insurer's will pay for OEM glass if you insist. The quality is worth it.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by harryc
Car is not blowing air on the windshield when the button is pressed. Instead it blows hot air at my feet. It seems like there should be some sort of flap that is suppose to divert the air and its not doing it. All other vents work fine except the defrost. Please tell me this is simple to fix.
It is possibly bad blend door motor. They are usually easy to reach and replace.
How to diagnose:
1.Look under dashboard on both sides toward radio, find motors.(usually 3). Touch one and switch vent modes. You should feel it working.
2.Check climate control codes(you need expensive scanner)
Sometimes blend doors break.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 655 Posts

And once again Car5 announces faulty info. Here's a suggestion Car5. Search this forum, look at blend door, actually called "stepper motors" fixes and then see how "easy" it is. Hells bells shut up if you don't ACTUALLY KNOW, your suppositions are more than a nuisance!! It misleads current and future members looking for help.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

Post #11, do not know how I got on wrong thread, pardon me!
Replying to Windscreen thread :-)

The following users liked this post:
Snapbacks2002 (08-29-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old post so I hope you can help, is it same for S type? Defrost not working, I hear the motors creaking! Doesn’t look that easy to get at, had dash all torn apart but looks like it’s on drivers side? LHD

Old 01-31-2023, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

@blatzhtr https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JY2VkQydDf8 Also posting in the S type forum might be more beneficial

Old 01-31-2023, 06:12 PM

thanks for the reply, I have seen that video.
that door is the easiest bro get to but is for air in or to recycle air. Looking for the defrost and how to get at it. I do appreciate the reply!
Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
@blatzhtr https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JY2VkQydDf8 Also posting in the S type forum might be more beneficial

Old 02-01-2023, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

@blatzhtr step by step repair instructions for an S type https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tec...se-on-jaguars/

​​​​​​​

Old 02-01-2023, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
@blatzhtr step by step repair instructions for an S type https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tec...se-on-jaguars/
I appreciate the reply. I have seen this. I must be very stupid, this doesn’t make sense. The only one that I can replace is the first one, behind the glove box. I took out the radio and the instrument cluster, to run into steel. Can’t see anything and can’t get my hands in. Looks to me I have to take off the entire dash. I put it back together but I will try again and post pictures. Have you made this repair?

thanks again, I appreciate the reply

Old 02-01-2023, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

No, because once again you are posting in the X Type (X400) forum.

Quick Reply: Windshield defrost not blowing air on the windshield!