X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Driving X-Type without DSC

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
JMG, you need to pay attention to what year car you are looking at...

Then you have the cars that are AWD that were made from 2001 thru early 2004 (March 2004 is the cutoff point). These have a viscous coupling in the transfer case.
Originally Posted by astromorg
'Traction 4' is Jaguar's trade name for their X Type AWD system. It does not mean there is any electronic control system, DSC or other! They used that name for AWD both with and without a viscous coupling. The viscous coupling was not used after VIN D56272
I have a D77136 with a Mfg. date of 11/03, and no DSC. It seems I am going to have to jack up one wheel to see if I have a VC or not.

I had a jeep up on jackstands once, and after the questionable procedure I was performing, I wanted to stop the wheels before I put it in park. What I found was that even tho that particular ABS system is supposed to disable at speeds below 5mph, I was unable to bring all the wheels to a complete stop so long as it was still in drive. As soon as one wheel stopped the ABS would release it, first this wheel, then that one, then another. I thought "surely if I hold this long enough they will stop", but I was never able to get it to drop below 10mph, weird huh?

So I'm thinking,(warning my brothers often found themselves in trouble after doing something that was "my idea" so I assume no liability and disclaim any perceived recommendation you may detect in my thoughts) if i am spinning a wheel in the snow, and push on the brakes, the ABS should see all the stationary wheels as wheels that are skidding. ABS should then, in an attempt to stop them skidding, deprive them of braking pressure, while supplying braking pressure to those that are spinning, thus transferring power from the wheel that is spinning to the wheels that aren't. and if a different wheel should start to spin the ABS should redistribute power from that wheel to the others, with the ultimate goal in mind of all wheels spinning at the same speed. This sounds remarkably like the description of what DSC does.

Just sayin.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:31 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That sounds more like traction control, not sure it would work right that way but try it out and let us know. DSC stands for Dynamic Stability Control and it prevents you from skidding by braking each wheel individually to keep the car going in the direction your steering wheel is pointing. DSC comes with TC so it does both things.