X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobbly wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Wobbly wheel

So Disguay recommended I change my tie rod ends when I do my springs and struts. I never heard of them before yesterday but after a lot of research on the subject, it turns out it's a pretty common repair. After he mentioned it, I did remember I have noticed a little wheel wobble feeling going around turns on rough roads. It was nothing major, but it just didn't feel safe and secure. Anyways, I had no idea what it was. I thought it's a bumpy road, the shocks are a little old, it's an older car... But I wanted to take curves at a reduced speed just because it felt like it couldn't handle a turn on a rough road. So anyhoo, I bought new outer tie rod ends today. Not sure if I really needed them at the time, but figured with 80+k on the clock, if I didn't change them now, I would be changing them in 70,000 miles when they were really bad. Well today I jacked up my car and did the little wheel wiggle test. First wheel, drivers side, checks out fine. No play side to side or up and down. So I am happy... it's in good condition. But I just bought the tie rod ends so I am a little confused. Second try, I jack up the passenger side and wiggle the wheel. Lots of side to side wiggle, no up and down wiggle though (which means the bearings are still good which is a good thing). So it looks like my passenger wheel was the problem area, and most likely the tie rod end on that side is worn out, so replacing the pair was a wise investment and I am hoping to get rid of that annoying wobble on turns. Didn't get the inner tie rod ends, a.) Because I read most often the outer are what become worn out and b.) I am on a budget and that would be twice as expensive and even more work and another specialty tool I would need to rent. So, I am just getting the outer tie rod ends but I am 90% sure that is the problem. I guess if I replace them and still have the wheel wobbling, I may have to get the inner tie rods. Hoping not though. Maybe I caught the problem soon enough. The lowering spring project has kind of mushroomed into a lot more than I first planned, but I am glad that I am taking care of a lot at once and will have my car handling like new again hopefully.

PS is there anything else that commonly needs to be replaced in the front around 100,000 miles? Does it mainly sound like a worn tie rod end problem?

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-12-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Take a good look at the lower ball joint and lower control arm bushings. Both of mine were shot at 130k. Nice thing is the entire control arm assembly has all the new parts attached and is pretty easy to change out.