X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst JAG luck ever? HELP NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst JAG luck ever? HELP NEEDED!

OK guys, forgive me in advance here but Man, I think I have the worst luck ever with this car.

A little more than a month ago I posted a thread regarding my brake issue (see link --https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-14/lost-all-brake-pressure-96456/ ) and out of 170 views I got only 1 reply. Now since then, I was able to buy a replacement line from auto zone and path a good section of the line that was rusted and corroded. I then bled the lines and got some functionality back. It still isnt 100% as I cant stop as fast as I would like to. This problem has turned me into the most defensive minded driver... But I definitely can tell only the front brakes are functioning...

Two weeks ago though, I took the car to my local JAG dealer and they said I have a bad master cylinder and it needs to be replaced.

Last week(less than 5 days after I left the jag dealer) on my way to work my car engine temp spiked and looks like I blew my thermostat. what a coincidence. I was able to get that replaced and while I got that done, I got a second opinion on the brakes. This second person says that my two rear calipers are shot and that the E-brake was stuck which he pried loose with a steel bar.

Can anyone guess what is wrong?

can I buy used or refurbed calipers? not trying to shell out 400 for each one

not to mention bad calipers cause vehicle to fail inspection and mine is due July 2013 wipty fukin dooo

on another note, I need rear sway bar bushings, sway bar link, rear control arms and not to mention, I just got the thermostat replaced. I already replaced the thermostat less than a year ago....... FML

Last edited by Prodriver365; 07-30-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Wow, so sorry to hear of your issues buddy.

Although I can't help specifically, I know that some of the X type gurus will chime in shortly with good sound advice to help a fellow Jag owner out.

Hope you get to the bottom of the issues for much cheapness!

Good luck

Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 201 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodriver365
Can anyone guess what is wrong?
Unfortunate congruence of accumulated neglect comes to mind.

If you want to stay both sane and solvent, you'll need to do (or hire) a thorough end-to-end assessment.

Then .... step up to a keep/replace decision.

If 'keep', build yerself a plan to go at it steadily until you have all-hands back into good order.

It won't 'end' .. and it isn't really a situation unique to jaguar. Not even close.

But keeping 'systems' up to par thereafter is less costly than trying the equivalent of deep sea salvage in the dark after they've been let get well out of bounds.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,920 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Prodriver, check out: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fix-1-a-73065/

That should get your e-brake issue fixed. If you are careful, you can pull the rear calipers apart and rebuild them using the old software. Otherwise, look on e-bay and you can get a rebuild kit for around $15 a caliper. Then you simply need a scouring pad to clean things up. The other part you will probably need to source is a "14mm pentasocket". Yes, it is a 5 sided socket. IT will run you about $20 to have it shipped to your house. But, once you have that, you can do as many calipers as you want. The e-brake lever (atleast for me) is a common problem with the car and I have bought the socket and now I rebuild my own calipers. Super easy to do. If you have the confidence to replace brake lines, then you can do this job. If you have any questions, let me know. But the how-to should answer most of them for you.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-30-2013)