X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend the airbox mod? Any inconvenient or risk doing this upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you recommend the airbox mod? Any inconvenient or risk doing this upgrade?

Hi guys!

As some people here knows, recently I installed the Borla exhausts and the K&N air filter on my X-Type. I´m happy with the result and the deeper and better sound. But now, reading the forum, I have found this mod:

http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/...breathing.html

I´m thinking about to complete the OPTION ONE because it seems not to be too hard (I suppose I could do it myself without many problems) and I hope it could suposse some improvement. My doubts are:

- Will itadd some performance improvement? Will it suppose an small or a big increase to theintake growl?

- And, any inconvenient or risk to the car after doing it?

I have read some opinions on other posts recommended it but not a lot of info about it. I´d like you explain me what do you think about it and if somebody has done it to his X-Type. I´d like to know something more about it before to try to complete the upgrade myself.

Regards!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Would you recommend the airbox mod? Any inconvenient or risk doing this upgrade?

The guys who contributed to that article sure know what they are taking about.Its part of a series of articles on how to maintainand improve performance of your car.
So yes go for it and yes it will increase performance as it reduces obstructions thus improving airflow.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Would you recommend the airbox mod? Any inconvenient or risk doing this upgrade?

So from what I took a quick glimpse you're filing down the inlet tube that has a small hump in the airbox mold? Ehhhh, yeah, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference.

The TB optimization I buy, as it's not the first platform this has been done, but dremeling that small hump down seems logical, but I doubt it'll make any real difference.

lol, I doubt you'll be pulling significant volume of air w/respect to this mod from stock numbers...I doubt anything will happen. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Too much work for probably negible gains...but then again this is just speaking from viewing the pics and taking a quick glimpse at his write-up.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Its part of a series of cheapmods which all add a little bit.
Its not going togive significant gains by itself afterall the car hasnt got a turbo that you can increase the boost with to givea lot of extra hpfor a few bucks.
But for a mod that costs FA it could be worth doing.
After all...even if you add a KN filter the air still has tonegotiate the stock intake.There is another mod on there to the butterfly to allow air to pass inquicker IIR