Would you tip a pizza driver in a Jag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

How much would you tip this guy?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

hm... that jag is wayyy too nice to be delivering pizzas. As in about 4 times what a delivery car should cost. I would still tip him the standard $3 just because he delivered my pizza

I'm really glad that everyone is chiming in here! It's really cool to see what everyone thinks and I think I will have to go with the Jeep in the long run.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
frank, what kind of car would you like to see a delivery driver show up in?
To be candid, I only had a pizza delivered once about 15 years ago.

I don't have much experience with pizza drivers now.

I can tell you that if I know someone drives a nice car and is involved in a sale with me I am more apt to listen than someone who is disarray and appears to be not particular about things it would detract from a potential sale to me.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I delivered pizza when I was in college. I drove a new 1987 Cavalier Z-24 while others deliberately drove in their beaters. To be honest, I don't really believe they would base it on your car being a Jaguar. It is more based on the timeliness of the delivery and the persona of the delivery person. I would just be cheerful and act like you really give a darn about your job.

On the flipside, now, I order pizza frequently and try to notice the cars they drive. Mainly, if the delivery person showed up at my house in a ratty looking smogmobile, I would probably call the store and complain worried that my pizza may be contaminated.

The only thing to keep in mind, though, is that times are still very hard for a lot of people which may impact the amount of tip.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
hm... that jag is wayyy too nice to be delivering pizzas. As in about 4 times what a delivery car should cost. I would still tip him the standard $3 just because he delivered my pizza

I'm really glad that everyone is chiming in here! It's really cool to see what everyone thinks and I think I will have to go with the Jeep in the long run.

That jag really is way too nice... That's an Aston.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM

I would go with the Jeep. People really do presume too much when they see a Jag.. but that is part of the fun isn't it?

Personally, I don't notice what the delivery guy drives. Its always at night, and they park on the street with a tree in the way. Would it affect what I tip? Absolutely not. The tip is predetermined, and as said in other posts, gets smaller if as the time wears on.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i will yes, if that was me doing pizza delivery in a jag, i will want to get a tip...ppl don't know what u got going on in life. they can understand..times are tough #Do what you gotta do

Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 AM

I would leave the money on the porch attached to a fishing pole...then I would laugh my *** off as I video taped you chasing the money all over the place as I reeled it in...then I would post the video to this post so everyone could enjoy my twisted sense of humor...

;p

But...the car had nothing to do with it, that's just what I would do to any pizza delivery guy...

<jk>

Do you deliver in Massachusetts?

<grins>

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Cool Sends the wrong message.

My wife used to do customer deliveries for her network business. She started her deliveries using a small car. Later on as her customer orders increased she upgraded to a Mercedes C class. She got the same result that you have observed - reduced orders! We are convinced that it was the Merc. that caused the downturn in orders.

The average 'Joe' doesn't like to see other peoples success. That's a fact of life I guess.

Dagwood

Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am surprised that only one other person mentioned that they don't look at the vehicle.

I don't care what you drive. If you are delivering chinese or a pizza, I just want to be delivered promptly and on hot.

I don't think I have ever looked at any delivery persons car and thought, they have a nice car, I won't tip them well.

The tip is predetermined before you arrive. You get your $4 no matter what you drive...unless you told me 30 minutes and it takes 60 minutes, then you get $2.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Bill here in Wooster OH

I agree with an earlier comment; "park around the corner or behind a larger object and make your delivery." I would give an appropriate tip and I would also give the tip of my mechanic's name! Good luck. Bill

Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by 91stealthes
I am surprised that only one other person mentioned that they don't look at the vehicle.

I don't care what you drive. If you are delivering chinese or a pizza, I just want to be delivered promptly and on hot..........
.........unless you told me 30 minutes and it takes 60 minutes, then you get $2.
If that was the answer, this thread would be no fun.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I would say definitely YES, it's because of your Jag.

I had NO IDEA (I seriously didn't) how differently people treat you when they find out or see you have a Jag.

I hide my Jag from anyone I'm buying / getting service from (contractors or any product where there can be movement in price).

If you want to be reminded why this is the case, simply pick up an issue of DuPont Registry.

You don't see Acuras, Infinitis and Audis alongside Bentley's, Lambos, Ferraris, Rolls... You see Jags. Whether or not this should be the case is debatable but the majority of the public, in my opinion, put ALL Jaaaags in very high esteem!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very funny.
I have a Red x-type and and I live in a ritzy town, I'm also a college student. I deliver pizza in my Jag (better milage than the 84 corvette) and people, I would say, tip me very well. It could be because of the area or because they like the car.

I've been commented on the car a handful of times.
One time I delivered 7 pies to a house and there was this milf who liked my car and gave me a $20 dollar tip on a $100 dollar order.
One person said, "what do delivery boys do that they can drive around in jaguars?" I told him that I've had a bank accouny since I was 7 and just saved my money.

A lot of people really like the car, especally women.

Recently I spun a barring in my engine, so i've been using my girlfriend's mom's car, a 2000 mazda protge. It's in poor condition, it has no hubcaps, the front bumper is practially falling off, the exhaust is so loud too because it has a hole in it from the rust, so it drawns negative attention.
Over the past three weeks I've made less in the mazda then I did in the Jag, coincidence? maybe, but people don't say "wow nice mazda" lol.

I think they see the Jag and say "oh this kid is used to making money" who knows. I tip people based on how far the place is, how much they are bringing me, weather conditions, and they get more or less if they look clean/are polite.
Whether or not they driver a ferrari 250 gto or a 1995 ford focus is of no influence to me. If they have a nice car I say, "nice car" and move on.

Last edited by Boss_Fury; 07-20-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's my best tip. Stop delivering pizza. It's a dangerous job and should be avoided. If it's unavoidable, at least be aware of your surroundings at all times. If anything seems strange at all, get out of Dodge. Good luck at school.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 AM

If pizza was delivered to me in a Jag, I would give them a sympathy tip because I know how much they are probably spending in repairs

Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Sounds like a great conversation starter as long as the pizza is hot and delivered in a timely manner. Up here most folks have no idea what a Jag looks like so I think you would be tipped well! Steve

Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Interesting dilemma, though Boss_Fury's experience is an interesting counterbalance the the hypothesis.

In a similar vein, ive been keeping the acquisition of my used X-type a pretty discreet affair on FB, as the band launched a Kickstarter campaign to take pre- orders on the CD. I even did a whole segment of the promo video in the Jag, but was careful to not film any badges or giveaways.