Sponsored by:

X not starting....Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya it only ran for a few seconds !

Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM

aaahhhh changed the fuel pump and still no start, turns over and half way fires, but doesn't start, now what ????

Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm still getting the gear box fault flashing while I'm trying to start it

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

maximum, if you have a good fuel pump in there, then I would go back and check your fuel system pressure up at the engine. If that is bad, then you either have a clogged fuel filter (possible) or bad wiring to the fuel pump. I would start with a new fuel filter and then see what you have. That is cheap and easy to do.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:22 PM

I just put on a new fuel filter about a month ago, I guess it could be bad, think I may change the plugs too !

Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

maximum, from the problems you are having, the easier method will probably be proving what is good and then eliminating everything else. Hence why I say to check the fuel pressure. You know you had a fuel problem. Prove that this is gone and you have something else.

It is possible based on what you are describing that you still have an ECM issue. That would cause the symptoms that you are seeing. But, it should allow the fuel pump to build up pressure. One of the checks that you can do to eliminate parts of the car.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Fuel pressure is good, pulled the front three plugs and the look wet

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

Maximum, what I would say at this point is to pull a front plug with the intake still attached and then see if you are getting spark. You can pull the coil pack off and then using a small metal rod or something, you can get the rod close to the metal part of the block and then have someone crank the engine over. You should see a small blue spark jump from the metal rod to the block of the engine. If you are not seeing that, then the problem lies in the ECM else you have a bad ground wire. If you are getting spark, then you have something else going on and I would need to do some thinking on that.

Something else you may want to try is if you are getting a strong gas smell out the exhaust, you may have somehow flooded the engine. In that case, prior to cranking the car, press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there as the car starts. If the car catches and runs, then release you foot from the pedal. By putting the gas pedal all the way to the floor, it actually turns off the gas to the cylinders and allows you to push the gas that is flooding the engine out. Once the amount of gas drops some, the motor will be able to catch and at that point you should be golden.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 PM

OK I tried all three front coils and they all had spark, One was a little weak at times but still decent, this thing really has me puzzled too, got gas, got spark, but not running, and was running good before this, just last few days before did it not want to start and when it did it would barely idle for a few seconds then clear up and run great, but I think that had to do with the fuel pump, which is working fine now

Old 05-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

maximum, well, to make a motor run, you need 3 things, fuel, spark, and timing. You have ruled out 2 of the 3, so, really, that is only leaving one, timing. Could be that you have a VVT coil that is sticking or something like that. I would say based on the situation, it would be time to have a professional look at the car and determine what is going on. I am not sure where to step next with this.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:02 PM

one more thing, I just went and tried to start it this afternoon and I'm getting engine system fault flashing now ?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

maximum, you have something going on and with what a standard backyard mechanic has in his toolbox, it is sounding like this fault is above our ability to fix. The only thing that I am leaning towards now is a faulty ECM. But, before you replace that, I would want a professional opinion. hate to see you spend that kind of money on a "maybe".

Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM

**UPDATE** after replacing the plugs, and a new MAF sensor, the car started !!! running ruff and smoking like crazy, but while I had the TB off, the plug that go's into the TPS ( the part on the right side with 2 wires) broke apart, I got the wires on how I thought they went, but checked and 1 was off, and the coolant level tank was almost empty, so plugged the other wire on, restarted the car and it runs great ! BUT why did all the coolant go into the exhaust and in the oil ???? did I do something when I had the intake manifold off ??

Last edited by maximum; 06-07-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

If you have water in the oil, running the engine is going to be a big no no. You need to figure out where the water is getting into the oil at. PUlling off the intake should not have exposed any surfaces where the oil and water are separated by a gasket. So, I am not sure where the two are coming in contact.

The only way to get water into the exhaust and oil is to have a bad head gasket. Other than that, you are looking at a cracked block (highly unlikely). Not sure what to tell you on this one.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM

What do you think a head gasket job would cost? Roughly !

Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

Max, to have a shop do the head gasket, you are probably looking at about $1000. It does take a few hours to do and you will have about $300 in parts.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>head gasket job

I think it's time to do a compression check, that should tell you if there is a problem in any cylinder.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons