X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type 2.0D MY09 not cranking and ECM / GEM modules not responding

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy x-type 2.0D MY09 not cranking and ECM / GEM modules not responding

Hello fabolous x-type owners - I've had a fab 2.5 years with my X-Type 2.0D SE MY2009 (120K miles) and then suddenly . . . . . found myself calling in for towing.
Short story - Have had a leaking (intercooler to EGR) turbo hose pipe for a few days (waiting for a replacement to arrive), otherwise always a very lively starter and runner. Was drving home, stopped to buy the daily's went to start and it refused to crank. Ignition key position II does all the usual lights just no cranking.
Battery gives a reading of 12.25v (ignition off) and 11.75v (ignition on PosII) With headlamps and brights on it drops to 11.60v so I believe its should be goo enough to start. Also relay 'tick' on turning key to position III (starter) sounds from the drivers seat!
Connected SDD reported DTC U2510 so checked key programming by observing the Immobaliser led (near handbreak) when turning ignition key to position II - it lights for 3 seconds and then turns off and stays off (which I believe is normal and indicates that key PATS coding is fine). I proceeded to clear the DTC and it did not reappear so thought it should crank now. Not so!
A suspicious observation - SDD shows the GEM and ECM modules as not responding. They show the red 'X' symbol whereas the ABS ATC IP show the green 'correct' symbol.
Although I haven't checked the starter motor yet, I'm now thinking that if the SDD is not gettng a response from the GEM and ECM modules the issue may be somewhere other than the humble starter motor. Also SDD refuses to read the VIN and I'd have to type it in manually!! ! !
Thanks for reading and for sharing any similar experiences witht he SDD and the 'no cranking' symptoms I'm having
Steve
X-Type 2.0D SE MY2009

Old 02-01-2020, 11:04 AM

Update:
Disconnected battery for 5 mins - reconnected sill no cranking - no DTC's
Used Jump leads from another car - still no cranking - no DTC's
Checked Inertia Switch - it did not take any pressing (is this normal?)
Thinking on from the revelation that the GEM and ECM modules are reported as 'no response from the module' on SDD - could this be the SCP network is faulty? and if so would it result in a no-crank condition?
Instrument Cluster Diags reports PATS with a 5C code. I figured this is the Passive Anti-Theft Security System but could 5C be indicating an immobaliser issue?
Until the next update

Old 02-01-2020, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 655 Posts

Turn key to position 2 (not start), wait a few seconds until the cycle completes (some lights extinguish). Does the MIL (little engine icon) remain lit?

The following users liked this post:
nitrohead (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 01:39 AM
Default Not cranking - MIL Light

Yes the MIL light stays on. Should it turn off?

Old 02-02-2020, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 655 Posts

No, if it does extinguish, that is a built in Jaguar indicator that it is in "immobilizer" mode.

nitrohead (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 03:33 AM

Great - so I can strike the PATS / Immobiliser off my list of possible suspects

Old 02-03-2020, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Let's try a few more tests. First take a reading on the battery from the center posts and then another reading from the exterior of the clamps. Did you get the same voltage? If so the terminals are clean and tight. If not give them a good cleaning and reconnect. Next take a voltage reading at the top of the positive cable on the cable itself to ground. Did you get the same voltage as the terminal tests? If you did then move on to taking a reading to ground at the other end of the cable. Again do they match? If so cable is good. If not internal corrosion of the cable exists.
Last locate and switch out the starter relay with an identical one. Does it now crank? If so replace the relay. Still no crank? Then possibly the starter is bad.

nitrohead (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the valuable guidance. I've checked the voltages, fuses and relays and all checked out. All symptoms suggest the yellow wire to the starter or the motor itself. Am going to reluctantly give her a push start to confirm. DMF and push starts are not the greatest of buddies from what I've read!
Now to round up some muscle

Old 02-09-2020, 09:05 AM

OK I've chickend out of the push-start out of fear from what I've read. So decided to check the Yellow trigger wire to the solenoid and confirmed it is in fact going high when moving key to position III. Checked battery voltages again just tobe sure and so concluded it's highly likely a starter job at this stage
Removed the starter and gave it the honour of a bench test. It turned apprently well and said this can't be right! So tried energizing it a couple of times in random intervals of succession and thankfully it missed. Took it down to our friendly auto electrical workshop and collected it sorted a couple of hours and a set a brushes later. Apparently it was found to be chewing through the brushes due to some oil contamination. I knew I had been driving around with a blown turbo hose fr a few days (until a replacement arrived) but could it possibly have been the cause??? and so quickly?? Upon closer examination, I found the turbo hose to have been split on the side facing awayf from the start so kept looking for further clues. Removing the engine under-cover revealed a leak of a reddish coloured fluid. Suspecting the power steering fluid, the reservoir level was low. Could this have caused the brushes to wear out??? most of leaking fluid wetted the flywheel side of the engine so again not in sufficient proximity of the starter brushes. Anyways, Starter re-fitted and Cat is purring once again. Must get that power steering fluid leak and ECM/GEM network issues sorted but that'l be on seperate threads.
Thank for all you help fellow X-Type owners. It wouldn't have been the same without such a vibrant community

Nitrohead
Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE
Liquid Silver
MY 2009
125K miles (and hopefully many more in store! ! !)

Last edited by nitrohead; 02-09-2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo