Sponsored by:

X-Type Airbag Suspension Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
updaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

I'm in a holding pattern until the kit arrives. Wire is back there and shelving boards are cut, but that is as far as I can go. I was holding out for pictars.

I did order roof bars and a bike carrier for the top though. That will be money.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Christ in a chicken basket you're going all the way on this one eh? My roof rack has been sitting in the box in my garage for like 3 weeks but Ive been too busy to even try installing it... Let alone actually strapping my bikes on top and going somewhere with them. I want to see your car on the bags and the Cayennes and I can die happy.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

I'll just need to re-apply the AWD badge after the mountain bike is up there, so it looks like a true off-roader.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Update: I built the bag rack and installed the fuse holder in the engine bay. Still waiting for parts to keep going. Tank, pump and valves will go on the bottom shelf and amps on the top shelf. I will build two facia boards next (rear one in black vinyl with gray lexan windows and front one in trunk liner - probably with raised leaper car in the carpert). I'll use red lighting to light everything up at night also.

Engine bay wiring and a crappy pic (sorry)

Last edited by exexpat; 05-31-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Just out of interest, you mentioned that running the 8 gauge wire through the firewall is difficult....where did you put it through...and how?
I am planning on doing this on mine, and know from previous experience (on other cars) how difficult this can be!
Especially after it took me three hours just to change the headlight bulbs! lol!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM

When are you getting the air tank and all that fun stuff? I can't wait to see this thing done, judging by your carPC stuff its going to be a sick install.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member

More updates and a change of plan for the three people following this thread I built the facia boards today.

I discovered without twisting and creativity, there is no way to get a fitting facia board into the trunk. I had two options, cut down the middle and have a seam or carpet hinge going top to bottom, or make the piece u-shaped so I could bend it a bit to get it in place. I chose the latter.

I won't do a middle layer with vinyl covering. I will actually just use 1/4" grey lexan and paint a 2" black horizontal stripe across at the shelf line. This will allow me to use industrial strength self-adhesive velcro around the perimeter of the shelfing. Here are some early pics. Sorry about quality and poor lighting/camera...

Main u-shaped facia board hanging on my wall:

Cover (fits into U cutout perfectly - almost where you don't see the seams):

Dark pic showing an installed corner:

Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bumble
Hi,
Just out of interest, you mentioned that running the 8 gauge wire through the firewall is difficult....where did you put it through...and how?
I am planning on doing this on mine, and know from previous experience (on other cars) how difficult this can be!
Especially after it took me three hours just to change the headlight bulbs! lol!
I went through the hole just on top of the main wiring harness. (driver's side here and the rest of Europe- passenger side for UK )

Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by exexpat
I went through the hole just on top of the main wiring harness. (driver's side here and the rest of Europe- passenger side for UK )
Great, thanks, I know where to look now (it's always a pig of a job I know).

Just on another note I LOVE your x-type! Watching in anticipation to see how the air-bag install turns out. (I have the estate and need the practicality but will be working on the ICE sometime soon.)

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumble
Hi,
Whatever gauge you want to run is easy in an X-type.

For you on the other side of the pond, go into the passenger side, and pull down the carpet a bit in the front. you will see a large rubber grommet. It comes out a bit low on the other side of the firewall, but you can feed a garden hose through there if you chose.

I have a picture on my other laptop somewhere if you want to see what I'm talking about.

George

Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Whatever gauge you want to run is easy in an X-type.

For you on the other side of the pond, go into the passenger side, and pull down the carpet a bit in the front. you will see a large rubber grommet. It comes out a bit low on the other side of the firewall, but you can feed a garden hose through there if you chose.

I have a picture on my other laptop somewhere if you want to see what I'm talking about.

George
Oh that sounds good, haven't really had chance to have a proper nosey round since I bought it. Done lots of installs (competition level) in cars before, so know exactly what you're taking about and don't need a pic thanks. Thanks for the input though.

I'll let exexpat get his thread back now!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

So the airbag kit finally arrived yesterday. I would post pics right now, but I've been sick as a dog since returning from TechEd in New Orleans last week. Component quality looks better than I expected - given the bad rap people try to give airbagit.com. Everything looks great to be honest and the front strut assemblies look quite good (and are stainless steel). I'm pretty stoked and hope to have some pics up in the next 24-48 hours.

Sorry for the tease post, but very few people aside from Allen and Bumble are interested and I am not feeling well enough to throw 70 lb boxes around for pics at the moment.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Did you buy one of their kits or just mix and match components?

Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Did you buy one of their kits or just mix and match components?
I bought the kit with several upgrades:

1. Digital Autoloc controller to gauge pressure and adjust rideheight
2. Stainless tank
3. Better valves (apparently need less/zero servicing over their lifetime)
4. Plug n Play cover
5. 3-function keyfob remote (this is just a cheap central locking kit, but for $39, I won't complain)
6. Moisture trap/filter make sure air flows at temps below freezing + keep water out of the lines

The tank, Plug n Play unit and front struts are extremely nice. The Autoloc piece looks decent (as expected), but it less attractive than some controllers. The key fobs are cheap Chinese units. I may upgrade those to something else at some point.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by exexpat
So the airbag kit finally arrived yesterday. I would post pics right now, but I've been sick as a dog since returning from TechEd in New Orleans last week. Component quality looks better than I expected - given the bad rap people try to give airbagit.com. Everything looks great to be honest and the front strut assemblies look quite good (and are stainless steel). I'm pretty stoked and hope to have some pics up in the next 24-48 hours.

Sorry for the tease post, but very few people aside from Allen and Bumble are interested and I am not feeling well enough to throw 70 lb boxes around for pics at the moment.

hey...don't kill yourself for us! We KNOW it'll be worth the wait seeing how nice your car looks already

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those two arent the only ones watching! As a guy whose first love was minitrucking I'm watching this one closely.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 AM

nice progress so far. keep up the good work

Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey J,

Im lurking in the backround watching this one. I pulled up a chair for this. I'd be scared to mess with the suspension, but you have a boat load of experience it seems, its going to look great.

Videos are a must, To see that car drop when you turn the ignition off will look ill.

- Dave

Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

A worthy update this time - I and my health seems to be improving. Tooks the parts out to inspect and take pics. On closer inspection, I may need to order the 3-gallon tank, but everything else looks good.

Front struts - stainless. mmm

Plug n Play unit (pump, valves, etc.)

Tank (I think I will end up getting a smaller one)

Autoloc digital gauges and pressure controller with presets (the brain)

Rear bag and brackets

Hoses and fittings

Cheesy Chinese 3-button remote key fob for putting the car at 3 defined presets when outside of the car. Reminds me of my years living in Shanghai...

Now I just need to put this stuff in the car...

Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

can't wait to see it.

Quick Reply: X-Type Airbag Suspension Project Thread