X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Brain Teaser - Rubbing Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: X-Type Brain Teaser - Rubbing Sound?

EBC Update - 31/10/07

Can't fault EBC for keeping me informed - they reckon it could be down to deposits on the rotors!

May be wishful thinking but I think this rubbing sound is slightly better than it used to be. Now, recently, we have seen a significant change in the weather here in the UK - generally much cooler and damp (could this have any bearing?).

I'll will post details of the full reply from EBC (probably tomorrow) now - it makes an interesting read, especially with reference to the problems outlined earlier in respect of the 'S' type / EBC pad issues...

Regards All,

KenZed

Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM

EBC Update 01/11/07

As promised - details of recent email from EBC (with interesting reference to 'S' Type pad design)

EBC's technical have not been able to shed any light on the problem. They have replied with:[/align][/align]"Really don’t know for sure.The pad is identical we have the original ford/jag pad at Bristol (Their manufacturing plant).Could be a bit of corrosion on the disc which makes a noise when the brake is first applied which then cleans the surface and it stops"[/align][/align] EBC went on to say...You could try swapping the discs over, left to right and right to left. If the noise transfers to the right it would be logical to think that the disc is a problem. You could also try swapping the pair of pads from left to right and right to left. Again if the noise transfers to the right then perhaps there is something wrong with a pad.[/align][/align]I still don't think it is the pads as this pad shape is the only one listed for all models of the X Type. All of the pads are identical in shape / size. If there was a problem with the pad design then why is the noise limited to just the left side? It seems very odd![/align][/align]Other possibilities: Wheel bearing, Suspension or Suspension bushes maybe.[/align][/align]If you try either of the first two please let me know the outcome.[/align][/align]Reference the S Type pads just so that you can see the differences I have attached the jpg files front and rear. Interesting the rears are just one millimetre different on height x length x thickness![/align][/align][/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2119/7689D6E07CC34C96B85439ABF71981D9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2119/2D8358ACDA324AE29D602F657B07D553.jpg[/IMG]

Finally, ending on a good note...in the last few days there has been a definate improvement in that therubbing sound is no longer present (as described throughout). I did hear the faintest sound, only momentarily, for a split second earlier today but nothing since. The car has now completed approx 1K (urban/motorway) driving since copmplete brake refit.

Is patience therefore the best tool in the box!

Old 11-03-2007, 03:48 PM

Guys,

The problem has truely disappeared - 1200 miles after EBC rotor/pad change (all round)

It seems to have simple'fixed itself' after an extended 'bedding-in' period...

No rubbing noise whether travelling in a straight line, braking or turning!

The weather was very nice today - slightly warmer than over the last few days and a full tank of fuel has not caused the rubbing noise to start again either. (so out goes my last few bright ideas)

Forthose that have followed this thread - hope you enjoyed the mystery / thanks for your kind words and for me...well- quite imaginative towards the end - good thing I didn't give up my day job!!