X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type Door lock issue again

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type Door lock issue again

Good day, I too am the the proud ( I think ) owner of a 05 X-type 3.0, and guess what? I too have the door locking issue. but I need an idea, please. The is what happened, about a week after a week of owning the car I had two new ( after market ) keys made. and all was good then about a week later the pass front door started playing up in the fact that it would not respond to remote commands, but I was able to open and close the door from inside the car. Then the other day my lady got out the pass side and I got out the driver side and in the process of locking the car with the key I put it in the dead bolt mode, I turned the key forward and quickly back aft to the lock position, opps. Then when we came back to the car the driver side opened fine but when I reached over to open the pass side, NOTHING!! now after several days of trying ideas I am stumped?? Here is what I have tried; I have forced the door panel open at the top and pulled the cable manually, didn't work. I took it to a highly skilled Jag mechanic, in my area and he also reached down to the actuator, and could not get it to release. The next step will be to pull the front fender and unbolt the door, but before I open my check book that far I am going to throw it out for any ideas? I also disconnected my battery for a few seconds to try and reset modual, Now one other thing is now I cannot lock the driver side door with the key, but it will work with the remote. so I wonder if it has anything to do with new keys? Any ideas Thanks Bob

Old 02-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Try this: Unlock the drivers door as normal with key, then hit again to unlock so the other 3 doors are unlocked. The go around to the passenger door and push on the A pillar (the plate at the rear of the window). You should hear a slight click. If so then pull up on the outside handle and see if the door opens.
There is a known problem with the nylon like fitting threaded on the door actuator rod. If the door opens I'll try to find the threads dealing with that problem. The rod problem puts the door in a not locked/not unlocked position causing the opening problem.
If that doesn't open the door then I would remove the passenger seat and then remove the door card, long before tearing a fender off and trying to get to a bolt that the head is on the inside .
By the way to the best of my knowledge the doors don't have a deadbolt position.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Thanks for your reply, I will try that, I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour to reset module, no dice, since I have the door card free enough at the top to get my hand on the actuator, but I cannot fee any trigger to release it? any idea? even if I get door panel off how can i release actuator, when I cannot get to bolts on outside of door frame? Thanks again Bob

Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts

As for the "deadlock" comment, in the manual it's actually called "superlocking" =

To 'single action' lock or unlock the vehicle, the key is inserted in the door lock, turned towards the front or rear of the vehicle respectively,
and released. Holding the key in the lock position will close all windows, and on convertible models, will also raise the top. Releasing the
key stops all operations. 'Single action' locking of the vehicle locks both doors, the trunk lid and the fuel filler flap, and sets the alarm
system.
A 'superlocking' function deadlocks both doors, preventing door opening from the interior, and provides all of the above functions. To raise
the convertible top however, the key must again be held in the 'lock' position. To 'superlock' the vehicle, the key is inserted in the door lock

and turned to the unlock position, then within three seconds, turned to the lock position and released.

As for your problem, as in the other post of the issue today (yup another ask question, don't do a search first), it is the ROD not cable that opens the door lock. Look at the other post today to see just 2 of multiple responses to the problem

Old 03-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
As for the "deadlock" comment, in the manual it's actually called "superlocking" =

To 'single action' lock or unlock the vehicle, the key is inserted in the door lock, turned towards the front or rear of the vehicle respectively,
and released. Holding the key in the lock position will close all windows, and on convertible models, will also raise the top. Releasing the
key stops all operations. 'Single action' locking of the vehicle locks both doors, the trunk lid and the fuel filler flap, and sets the alarm
system.
A 'superlocking' function deadlocks both doors, preventing door opening from the interior, and provides all of the above functions. To raise
the convertible top however, the key must again be held in the 'lock' position. To 'superlock' the vehicle, the key is inserted in the door lock

and turned to the unlock position, then within three seconds, turned to the lock position and released.

As for your problem, as in the other post of the issue today (yup another ask question, don't do a search first), it is the ROD not cable that opens the door lock. Look at the other post today to see just 2 of multiple responses to the problem
To raise the CONVERTIBLE top?????? Must be generic Jaguar instructions. I have to say, the more I think about it, the more intriguing a convertible X-Type sounds.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Note that the rod PUSHES DOWN to open the door. You can pull that latch up all day on the inside of the door, and it will never open! Push DOWN on the actuator to release the door latch.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:44 PM

Firrst off let me thank you for the helpful advice. The general consensus is that the door is stuck, between Lock and un lock, very sad. Ok now how does one get to the arm to push down, on it as it has the shield over it, I know once I can get door open I can work and fix the issues. but it is getting door open with out breaking much on it that is the rub. what ideas about pushing rod down does anyone have? I am going to take another swing at it now before it gets dark. any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob
PS over the last few days I have read every post on this subject I can get my hands on.....

Old 03-01-2018, 05:05 PM

Ok another update, first off I am able to get my hand on the lock assy with the window up and the door panel wedged out remember I can't get to the lower screws on door panel, when I fiddled with the rod from the outside door pushed down a bit, I was able to get the door locks to respond using the inside handle they also sent a signal to the other locks in the car and they would work five or six times before they stopped responding. I would wait for 30 seconds and they would work again, however door would still not open I also could see the cable move the latch in the actuator. but not enough to release the latch and open the door. I also have been spraying lots of wd 40 all over the actuator. I still need an idea, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Bob Does anyone have a photo of what the guts of the actuator looks like. I would like to know what I am fighting with.....

Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts

I have rear, I assume front would be identical =