Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X TYPE ECM (No Cruise)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:07 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default X TYPE ECM (No Cruise)

Good Morning Everyone.

Hoping that someone out there may be able to shed some light on an on-going problem that I have with my 2008 X Type 2.2 Diesel (Manual Transmission with Cruise Control). Cruise has not worked since I purchased car and, following a lot of swapping over of parts I am still no closer to a solution. I did, however, ascertain that the ECM was not putting out an earth to the cruise buttons on the steering wheel (which also meant that the radio controls on steering wheel didn't work either, as they share this earth feed). Looking at the wiring diagrams it seems that cars not equipped with cruise received their earth from an earth post near the car battery.
I have just bought a Mongoose cable and, having connected it to the vehicle it tells me that the ECM Part No is 7X43 12A650 BB, with a Serial No 81710160. However, I have removed the ECM and the sticker on same says 7X43 12A650 BA, with serial No FFKBA 81600160.
From the above I suspect (??) that at some point in time the ECM has been changed (possibly for one without cruise control).

My question therefore is: Is the part number that shows up on SDD the original part number or should it be that of the replacement one (does programming a replacement ECM automatically change that number and serial number). Secondly, does anyone know whether the part number ending BA (rather than BB) indicates a car WITHOUT cruise. If the latter then I suppose I'll have to source the proper one and programme same ??

Thank you everyone in anticipation for your help and (hopeful) guidance.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I can't really answer your question, but after the part number the letters usually indicate the version of the part. AA would be the first version, AB the second, AC the third and so on.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The information your receiving is from the original installation. The problem you are experience is one of two scenarios. First the ECM was changed without being programmed to the network. Secondly the ECM you have is of a previous firmware version and probably doesn't have all of the features of the BB version.
With Jaguar modules you can go to a later version but you can't go to a prior version. You also have to have the dealer level software to program the module into the system. As far as I know even swapping an ECM of the same version has to have the dealer program it to the system.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

I did some more looking around at the wiring diagrams and I did note that you said the radio controls don't work. Do you know if the horn is operational. The problem with the radio and cruise could very well be a broken contact in the steering wheel assembly. There is a clock spring like affair that maintains contact while the wheel can rotate. You might search there for the cause of your CC and Radio Control problem.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:05 AM

Thank you hlgeorge and Avern1 for your observations. Following research it appears that there was a factory recall back in 2011 in relation to cruise control problems with the 2.2 diesel X Types - this necessitated an update to the ECM software (whether that meant that my ECM was replaced I don't know ?). That could be the reason for a different part no/serial no.
As I said in my original post I now have a mongoose cable and have installed the SDD onto my laptop, so am able to update/flash the modules. I think I will 'bite the bullet' and attempt a 'RUN' of the above mentioned
update (its listed as J024). If it all goes pear shaped then I suppose I'll have to source a used replacement !! Oh, the joys of Jaguar ownership (NOT !!)

Old 08-06-2016, 04:16 AM

Thanks Avern1. Luckily I recently had another virtually identical car sitting next to this vehicle on my drive. I swapped over all components, including the 'clock spring', steering wheel, all pedal switches etc etc to no avail. It was during this research that I ascertained that the ECM was not putting out an earth supply from pin 13 on ECM (also required on cruise equipped cars for the steering wheel audio control) I've since bypassed that earth wire and connected the audio control switch to body earth and the radio controls work fine. I know that cruise isn't an essential but I hate having something fitted that doesn't do the job intended. I'm hoping that the factory update will resolve the issue - if not I'll try reprogramming before buying a used one.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

I think you are on the right track with the module install. I have never heard of Jaguar nnot having cruise control. I think it was standard across all vehicles. It is possible that the various elements in your ECM haven't been activated. I know in a few of the modules there are features that can be turned off.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:59 AM

Update: Found out that the update from 2011 is no longer available (I can only read the bulletin on the software). With that in mind I decided to go ahead and re-program the existing ECM (heart-rate increased considerably for a short time !!), which took about 20 minutes. During the operation two warnings appeared on instrument cluster - 'DSC System Fault' and 'Pecus Error E'. The latter apparently relates to the ECM. At the end of the operation the engine started OK and there were no lights or warnings on the dash BUT I still have no cruise control. I presume that the 'Pecus E Error' is telling me that the ECM is faulty (at least it completed the re-programming and allowed the car to start !). Looks like my next step is another ECM.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

The link below has some good info about Pecus errors. It looks like you will probably need a new ECM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pecus-b-56867/

Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 AM

Thanks for that link Avern1. I'm a little confused however, as the Pecus E Error and DSC warnings were only flashing during the programming - following the operation I have no dash warnings at all. Does anyone know whether such warnings/flashings are normal during this procedure ?? Obviously I don't want to go to the trouble (and expense) of replacing the ECM if I don't need to (I.m still wondering whether this current ECM is simply from a car which never had cruise fitted - some earlier UK cars weren't equipped). I live only a mile from a main dealer so I think I'll pop in there tomorrow and check the parts list. Many thanks for your help Avern1 - it's really appreciated.